Site Keeps Logging Me Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
ECF constantly logs me out while I'm in the middle of something. If I'm in the middle of typing a message or thread or reply, and my service happens to drop while I'm doing it, the site will log me out in the middle of typing. It'll do this without telling me or actually kicking me out of my post.

Instead, the site lets me hit the submit button, before telling me I'm not logged in and erasing everything I tried to type of post.

I have the same issue every...single...time I refresh the page, or click over to load a new page in the forum.

Does this even on the mobile site.

I don't want to check remember me, I shouldn't have to worry about being logged out of a website that I'm still in the middle of using it. "Remember Me" is supposed to be so that I can close the browser, erase the history, reboot phone and come back to the website to find myself still logged in. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED TO ENSURE I DON'T GET LOGGED OUT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A POST.

Please fix this garbage.

Last edited:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
In order to stay logged in, you must select "Remember Me". Otherwise, you'll continue to experience this behavior.

If you're dead set against checking that box on login, create your responses in notepad or similar text editor and then paste your responses on the forum.

The forum is working as designed.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the info, but if the site's working properly then it's the only one on the net that I know of that behaves like this.

You're telling me the website is DESIGNED to log it's users out halfway through posting a thread or response to a thread? That's pretty flawed design that you guys are trying to pass of as 'how the site works.'

'Remember Me' is one of the most insecure things you can do online, even with a strong password, leaving yourself logged in on a site is like leaving yourself exposed to radiation and taking a nap. You give hackers all the power in the world to just take their time to keep plugging away at your password until they possibly get it right. It's a huge vulnerability.

Don't get me wrong, I love the site, staying logged in IS convenient, but don't sit there with a straight face and tell me the site was designed to kick people off halfway through writing a post, because that's just poor user service and sounds like a cop-out to me. Telling me to 'Use Notepad or other word document' is inexcusable, and again, another cop-out. I shouldn't have to use a third party software to post successfully without having to log in every two minutes.

How about actually considering the possibility that the website might be flawed, especially when using the site on a mobile phone. Don't just tell me, 'well if you don't like it use something else,' because no, I won't use something else, what I'd do if I was really ...... is leave the site, if that's how the mods and admins are going to treat us. That may not mean anything compared to the user base of the site, but if enough people were to ask the question I just asked, and receive the same dismissive answer I just received, you'd end up with far less users on your hand.

I don't mean to sound like an ......., but I used to work tech support, and I know a cop-out when I hear one.

But if that's the way you guys want to be, fine, I'll click your 'Remember Me' box.

TwoTimes

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2012
In The Cosmos
Can I ask which browser you are using?

The "Remember Me" function is based on a time out through the sites cookie settings. Which = x amount of seconds before the cookie expires. This works flawlessly for me on Chrome, I check Remember Me and I can stay logged in endlessly via Chrome until I clear my cookies. However IE (which has a long history of NOT working well with Vbulletin) and FireFox (latest version) seem to consistently ignore the "Remember Me" option and logs me out regardless.

As retired1 stated, the site is working as it should be and it is not a cop out, it is FF and IE that have the issue and are not retaining the cookies information. So before you have a go at the people running the place, investigate your end first. If it is happening on IE or FF, try Chrome and see if the issue is replicated. Make sure you are checking "Remember Me" box when logging in.

If you choose not to investigate issues on your end, or try a different browser that is hardly anyone here on ECF's problem.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Regardless of whether you're doing something on the site or not, not checking "Remember Me" sets a timer into motion that will log you out automatically once that timer expires. Doesn't matter if you're doing anything or not. vBulletin has always worked this way. So yes, it's working as designed.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the info everybody. I'm not attempting to have a go at the admins, I just think it's ridiculous that this is happening. I'm using mobile Safari.

The 'Remember Me' option works fine for me, the point of this post is that 'Remember Me' can be a security issue, and not everybody wants to be constantly logged into the site for that reason. Logging someone out while they're in the middle of creating a post, just because they choose not to check 'Remember Me' is a little ridiculous, especially if they don't know that there's some timer they can't even see ticking down.
I didn't know about the timer, with as many users as I'm sure this site gets, it does make sense that the programmers would do that to save space. I just think something should be done so the site recognizes when a new blank post is open so it delays the timer until the url in the bar registers the post as complete.

But maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not a web programmer, at least not with any new coding skills anyway.

I apologize if this thread read as an attack on the admins, or programmers, I just think there has to be a better solution.

As far as saving the message, I try copying everything before hitting submit, but sometimes I just forget.

Last edited:

TwoTimes

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2012
In The Cosmos
Thanks for the info everybody. I'm not attempting to have a go at the admins, I just think it's ridiculous that this is happening. I'm using mobile Safari.

The 'Remember Me' option works fine for me, the point of this post is that 'Remember Me' can be a security issue, and not everybody wants to be constantly logged into the site for that reason. Logging someone out while they're in the middle of creating a post, just because they choose not to check 'Remember Me' is a little ridiculous, especially if they don't know that there's some timer they can't even see ticking down.
I didn't know about the timer, with as many users as I'm sure this site gets, it does make sense that the programmers would do that to save space. I just think something should be done so the site recognizes when a new blank post is open so it delays the timer until the url in the bar registers the post as complete.

But maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not a web programmer, at least not with any new coding skills anyway.

I apologize if this thread read as an attack on the admins, or programmers, I just think there has to be a better solution.

As far as saving the message, I try copying everything before hitting submit, but sometimes I just forget.

What's the security issue aside from having a cookie placed in your browsers cache?

Unfortunately, what you think the site should be doing, isn't how VBulletin works, there isn't anything the site staff can do about that.

Click "Remember Me" and you won't be logged out. If you don't want to click remember me, then you'll have to deal with an issue that is preventable and not an error on ECF's board functionality. :)

Glad we could give you as much info as possible about this and hope that it sorts out your problem.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

??
Log out of ECF when you are done with your visit ? I do.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
If the security issue is that staying logged in allows an infinite attack on your password (which is not correct), then probably what people should do is use a real password.

A real password is over 100 bits and hardly anyone would be capable of remembering one, never mind the dozens we need now. If you are worried about security then do the thing properly:

- Get a password manager such as Keepass or Roboform (also has mobile versions for USB stick)
- Log out when you leave the site
- Never, ever use the same pass for two different sites or purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread