• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Should e-cigarettes be banned in enclosed public places? - Guardian Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
According to the BBC

E-cigarettes come in two parts: in one end there is liquid nicotine, and in the other a rechargeable battery and an atomiser.

One end is liquid nicotine, the other end is a rechargeable battery with an atomiser. Ooh, good, another accurate comment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26852649

Needless to say, the customary picture of an E-Lite. Such vapour, such value. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
We have comments too!

E-cigs are a very disruptive technology with the potential to save millions of lives, the only real debate should be is if they are 99% safer or 99.9% safer than real cigs. Any laws that are passed that make it less likely that smokers will switch will COST LIVES.
Mark Drakeford is pushing for restrictions that will treat e-cigs as real cigs simply because of a superficial resemblance to real smoking, he must know that this will cost lives, even ASH have stated that the feared “gateway” effect is insignificant and dwarved by the potential public health gains.
I will give Mr Drakeford the benefit of doubt and assume he is acting with the best of intentions, sadly his actions will result in the worst of outcomes.

I can't believe we are genuinely talking about banning something because people doing it may look a bit like people doing something else which may make some other people do that other thing. It's bonkers.
We have got so far away from the principles of public health protection that it's just become a power trip for puritans. The fact that these health zealots are banging on about "normalisation" suggests that they don't expect to find anything genuinely harmful if they bother to do any actual research.
The sad thing is I'm pretty sure this is going to happen, and another load of personal responsibility and free choice goes down the *bog*

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Voted NO.
What a bunch of nonsense!

And I love this comment (2 April):
Quotes from the government...
We are concerned that e-cigarettes might reverse that tide
We are concerned that they might act as a gateway to conventional cigarettes
you might then find it easier to move on to conventional cigarettes
Quotes from the health charity...
this is not borne out by the evidence so far
our research shows that their use is almost without exception only amongst current and ex-smokers.
There is growing evidence that they are effective in helping smokers quit
So it appears to be a direct fight between Concern, Concern and Might versus Evidence, Research and Evidence
Something doesn't add up here.

Last edited:

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
Done! this was on the radio today :-(

Personally, I don't use mine in places that are non smoking (shopping centres etc). I never smoked in these places and have no problem waiting/going outside. I get quite annoyed at people vaping in some places, like on school grounds at pick up time.

I think places like pubs/bars should be able to choose though, not like they need to bring the ash trays back! The pub is definitely a place I used to enjoy smoking and some pubs around here do allow vaping. They are over 18 places so no 'think about the kids' argument and I should imagine it would appeal to smokers too.

I don't drink/go out to pubs much anymore but vaping with a cold one does sound like heaven :D

liquidator

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Berkshire UK
YES.........19%

NO..........81%

How ironic that the day after it is advisable not to go outside because of poisonous exhaust fumes!

Are they going to ban or restrict these "proven" carriers of poison, nope, of course not because as always it is profit before people, the "Greed is good" brigade prefer to vent their prejudices on something that resembles smoke instead. Utter ......s.

Vape on.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Done with pleasure!

Poll only open for a day, so hopefully many more will vote no. I see already the NO vote far outdoes the YES one.

If they must control their use in public places, a blanket ban is a bit ridiculous and they could be more selective.
Perhaps also, they could specify certain places and particular types of e-cigs in public.
In the workplace for instance - if it causes envy amongst analog smokers, there's nothing stopping them using e-cigs indoors!

It's all a contradiction: do the government want people to stop smoking or not?! Seems the minute people do find a way to achieve it the government want to control it ..in the same way they're trying to control everything we do or own.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
Exactly! The best method would be to do exactly this. Why shouldn't there be a Vaping-allowed bar/pub, if that's what people want?

I find someone farting on a train / in a bar, etc far more offensive - I dont want to smell the contents of some smelly beggar's ....!

Done! this was on the radio today :-(

Personally, I don't use mine in places that are non smoking (shopping centres etc). I never smoked in these places and have no problem waiting/going outside. I get quite annoyed at people vaping in some places, like on school grounds at pick up time.

I think places like pubs/bars should be able to choose though, not like they need to bring the ash trays back! The pub is definitely a place I used to enjoy smoking and some pubs around here do allow vaping. They are over 18 places so no 'think about the kids' argument and I should imagine it would appeal to smokers too.

I don't drink/go out to pubs much anymore but vaping with a cold one does sound like heaven :D

Same for me. I dont vape indoors when in public places and i wouldnt argue against a ban in restaurants, cinemas, workplaces, etc but private businesses such as bars should be able to make the choice. If the policy goes through then I'm assuming you would not even be able to vape in a B&M vape store!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread