RSST w/evic BIG PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

V00D00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Hey guys, so Ive been using my RSST for about a week and a half now and I decided I wanted to build a better coil so I went to do the rebuild and I was getting hotspots. So I rebuilt the coil again and then my Evic told me the coil was shorting out. I went and built another coil, and another and another and all say atomizer short. I then put on my Vivi Nova to make sure my Evic wasnt messed up. Vivi fired fine. Then i put the RSST on without a coil or wick and it still says atomizer short, not atomizer not found. Ive taken apart the RSST and cleaned it and still no luck. I dont know what happened to it. And yes I did oxidize my mesh and coil and do all the proper steps to keep a short from happening. I should have just kept my old coil.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
This may not be of any help, if maybe a bit of comfort that you're not alone, I had the same thing happen to me with my evic. I built my first coil, and it fired... but was flat out pathetic so I tried another coil when it read 'short'. I was ready to throw in the towel when I remembered I had a VV passthrough. This might not have been the best idea if there actually was a short (though I quadruple checked everything on it) but it fired beautifully without issue on the PT. I've put rebuildables way on the back burner for now. Hopefully someone will come along with a fix rather than mutual frustration though.

V00D00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Massachusetts
I figured out the problem. I went to clean out my Vivi and when I looked into the Evic connection the contact at the bottom of the 510 connection was crooked. It is really loose though, it looks like something is wrong with the delrin o-ring insulator that is around it. I had to take a flat head screwdriver and carefully pull up the sides of it to get the connection back up. I have to barely put my RSST on the Evic and make sure i dont tighten it too much or else it tells me i have an atomozer short because the connection gets messed up again. ive only had this control head for less than a month and now im kind of mad that i paid $70 dollars when I could have gotten a zmax for like $50 with shipping. I put a ticket in to Joyetech for the warranty but Im sure they will give me the run around and tell me its because of user error and not crappy craftsmanship.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I've heard the evic control heads can be fairly fragile. I was at the local vape shop, just lounging with my Provari and some guy walked in, bought one Evic and THREE control heads because his wife had a tendency to break them. Dude dropped like 300 bucks or so. Every fiber of my being wanted to scream at him to just buy a Provari for the durability, but I'm pretty good friends with all the employees there and I didn't want to take sales away from them. I kept my mouth shut.

I wrap my RSST with a 2.4 ohm microcoil with 28 GA kanthal. I use 500 mesh and it works fantastic. Takes a bit to really produce the vapor because it needs some warmup time, but once its going, its GOING. My top cap is drilled to 5/64 and its a really open draw. Vapor production is on par with some nice drippers out there, depending on the build.

Evics are pretty sweet though, lots of bells and whistles + customizable settings, but I'm a durability guy, and my research just didn't find that it would meet the expectations I wanted from it. If it fails on you, Try an MVP2 if you like that form factor. SVD's are decent too, as well as Mechanical mods if you wanna get crazy. At some point though, the replacement cost becomes unreasonable with certain devices. This is the reason Provari's are recommended so often, but if you can't justify dropping $200 bucks, then you can't justify dropping $200 bucks. Its just a cost benefit analysis I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread