Reviving some old Kangertech, Kayfuns, & Zen atty's

gmaffPappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Adrift at Wolf 359
Quite a few years ago, I turned to, what at time was "the Dark Side".
The convenience and the desire to not have a juice spot on my pants where the lures.
Tanks with replacement coils was where I went.
A couple coil brands later and atties later, I'm ready for a change.

I was cleaning my office, and I found a box full of old gear. It has be thinking, why don't I fix up some of these old Z-Atty's, Kayfuns, Kanger Mini's and a Big Boy (all with rebuildable decks), put on some coils and go Old School?

I have lots of spare part for the Kangers and Kayfuns. I have enough of them that I can put empties everywhere (office, car, home, etc.) that are ready for juice in case I pop a coil. I've been vaping for +20 years, so I have enough rebuild tool kits, I could even leave some at family & friends houses...just in case. Basically, back in the day, I was prepared for the zombie apocalypse. I've even 5' of steal cable for Z-atty wicks.

I can get all these working again, except the Z-atty's. The center post on all of them has come out. It won't stay in. I don't know how it was attached originally. Maybe it was press-fit? If it was, it doesn't hold now. Regarless, short of epoxying them in, which I don't want to do for health reasons, I have no idea what to do. Even if I could fix them, I only have one center post. Where can you even get parts for these?
20231203_214515.jpg

I didn't know who to ask, but then I remembered about this forum.
Hopefully, someone can give me a lead.

Finally, Is this even a wise idea?
It is convenient to just drop in a replacement coil when needed. But, when you add up the costs is it really worth it? Time is $, but I fondly remember rebuilding.
I like the old Big Boy tank. It holds a lot of juice, which is something I don't like about the new tanks.
Can you suggest some good RTA's that don't leak, are not cheap, plastic and thin material? I like gear that lasts. I hate bubble tanks. For me, they are always the first to break.

Thanks,

Pappy

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Quite a few years ago, I turned to, what at time was "the Dark Side".
The convenience and the desire to not have a juice spot on my pants where the lures.
Tanks with replacement coils was where I went.
A couple coil brands later and atties later, I'm ready for a change.

I was cleaning my office, and I found a box full of old gear. It has be thinking, why don't I fix up some of these old Z-Atty's, Kayfuns, Kanger Mini's and a Big Boy (all with rebuildable decks), put on some coils and go Old School?

I have lots of spare part for the Kangers and Kayfuns. I have enough of them that I can put empties everywhere (office, car, home, etc.) that are ready for juice in case I pop a coil. I've been vaping for +20 years, so I have enough rebuild tool kits, I could even leave some at family & friends houses...just in case. Basically, back in the day, I was prepared for the zombie apocalypse. I've even 5' of steal cable for Z-atty wicks.

I can get all these working again, except the Z-atty's. The center post on all of them has come out. It won't stay in. I don't know how it was attached originally. Maybe it was press-fit? If it was, it doesn't hold now. Regarless, short of epoxying them in, which I don't want to do for health reasons, I have no idea what to do. Even if I could fix them, I only have one center post. Where can you even get parts for these? View attachment 1004631

I didn't know who to ask, but then I remembered about this forum.
Hopefully, someone can give me a lead.

Finally, Is this even a wise idea?
It is convenient to just drop in a replacement coil when needed. But, when you add up the costs is it really worth it? Time is $, but I fondly remember rebuilding.
I like the old Big Boy tank. It holds a lot of juice, which is something I don't like about the new tanks.
Can you suggest some good RTA's that don't leak, are not cheap, plastic and thin material? I like gear that lasts. I hate bubble tanks. For me, they are always the first to break.

Thanks,

Pappy

I found this YT video Mike (Zen) made for the Z atty tanks. It might help a little bit. There might be more videos on YT if you do a search.

I've got some in my stash, but would have to search them out. One thing I noticed is that you don't seem to have the screw that goes on the top center post. Was that missing in the photo? When I got my first one, it was used. I couldn't get it to work, and found that there was a spring inside the center tube that had some white crust that was holding the post part inside the tube and possibly preventing an electric connection. When I eventually got everything out and cleaned out the tube, it worked properly. My vague memory is that the center post should slide down the tube and that little pin will be the electric contact to the mod. When you tighten the screw to the coil wire, you complete the circuit and the post stays inside the center tube.

I'm still using old tanks, but really like the Vandy Vape Berserker mini's. They are 22mm, 2ml tanks. There was an original Berserker that was a bit larger and held more juice, but if you are trying to fit to a Provari you will get some overhang. The larger one won't fit the old Pico 75 because of the location of the battery cap. These still show up in the classifieds if you want to take a look or post a wanted message.

gmaffPappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Adrift at Wolf 359
Thank you all.
I used the Z-Atty for years. It was my very first Atty back when we vaped using pipe bombs...LOL. So I can rebuild it with no problem.
My question is specifically about the internal center post piece. It is a long, narrow, round piece of plastic. In the pic, it is sitting in front of the two bodies. If I remember correctly, it's Durlan? At the top is the steal post with the top screw. At the bottom, the spring loaded pin to push on the 510.
It slides into the atty's body via a center hole and runs the whole length.
I have never removed that piece. At this point, I don't think it was designed to be removed. I think it was supposed to be a permanent press-fit. Mine are not attached, and one is missing.

Are there any insights as to how this is supposed to be secured and where I can get a replacement post? Even if I bought an old beat up Zen for the center post, I'd still have no way of securing it.

Reactions: TARTARA

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
Thank you all.
I used the Z-Atty for years. It was my very first Atty back when we vaped using pipe bombs...LOL. So I can rebuild it with no problem.
My question is specifically about the internal center post piece. It is a long, narrow, round piece of plastic. In the pic, it is sitting in front of the two bodies. If I remember correctly, it's Durlan? At the top is the steal post with the top screw. At the bottom, the spring loaded pin to push on the 510.
It slides into the atty's body via a center hole and runs the whole length.
I have never removed that piece. At this point, I don't think it was designed to be removed. I think it was supposed to be a permanent press-fit. Mine are not attached, and one is missing.

Are there any insights as to how this is supposed to be secured and where I can get a replacement post? Even if I bought an old beat up Zen for the center post, I'd still have no way of securing it.
I don't see any obvious O-rings on mine, so I think the wider end of the post was supposed to be a tight fit inside the metal top section, so that the end of the metal part of the post would be even with the top of the top section. How much "slop" do you think there is if you were to press it down into the post? Would it pop out if you assembled it and attached to a mod without juice or a coil, just testing for fit?

If it is really loose and sloppy, could you put some electronics shrink tube around that wider section to get a tighter fit? I agree with your first post that glue would not be good. This might be a long shot, but if the plastic dried up and shrunk, would a long water soak plump it back up?

I think Mike closed House of Hybrids around the same time that Provape and several others closed up due to the deeming and some of the new bans and taxes that kicked in back then. I don't remember ever seeing spare center posts offered for sale back then.

Users who are viewing this thread