Review of the DSE-701 Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikko Daniels

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Akron, Ohio -USA
This is also posted in the general review forum but wanted to make sure Good Prophets customers didn't miss it ;) ....

Several days ago I received a very nice package from Rob at Good Prophets.
In this package were some delicious vapable liquids I had ordered and was anxiously awaiting...

Also in there was this WAY-COOL box....

dse-7010.jpg

After opening this beautifully-packaged masterpiece, I beheld THIS....

dse-7011.jpg

There it was, the DSE-701 Electronic Cigar, held in place so nicely with perfectly-cut slots in the foam. Also in there were 5 wonderfully designed carts, instructions, a card showing authenticity, 2 batteries, a charger and an adapter for US electrical outlets.

Here are the carts.. labeled as to their contents....

dse-7012.jpg

...and here's the DSE-701 Cigar, itself a thing of beauty :)

dse-7013.jpg

I was getting more anxious by the minute to test this bad boy out, so out came the charger. The adapter slid right on and one of the batteries snapped right into place...

dse-7014.jpg

While I was waiting for the first battery to charge I took a good look at the cigar. It's a little more complex than your average ecig.... Here's the whole thing, all the pieces separated...

dse-7015.jpg

The jewel cover over the LED unscrews precisely.... this thing is really slick and feels well-made!

dse-7016.jpg

The battery fits perfectly into the chamber.... Turning it around, you'll notice the entire body of the cigar holds a rather large atomizer, way down in there...

dse-7017.jpg

Opening up the stoutly-designed cartridge shell reveals another surprise.... The cover for the cartridge is screwed on, a nice seal to keep liquids from evaporating. Here's the whole thing, disassembled....

dse-7018.jpg

Man, that's a BIG cartridge! :shock:

dse-7019.jpg

It also screws on to the body.... like I said, this thing is SOLID!

The next thing to do was to open up the instructions... there is some good reading in there.
I have scanned all the pages, cleaned it up a little and converted it to a PDF. I would recommend anyone interested in a DSE-701 should read this manual, cover to cover. The English translation isn't too bad.
Here is a PDF of the instructions. You'll have to download them.... relax! It's only around 3.5 MB....

So the charger light turns green.... I swap the batteries so the second one will start charging while I test the cigar... put it all together.... put it up to my lips.... and take a good draw....... and feel somewhat disappointed with my first puff... :cry: Not much vapor, and it takes a rather strong pull to get it to work. It definitely feels a lot different than any of my ecigs.... I thought about it a second then realized, "ALL ecigs don't produce their best on the first pull".... :rolleyes: Gave it another go... LONG, slow drag.... that's a little better! Then I remembered reading you should prime-puff to get it going first, and THEN do a long full puff.... gee, just like the REAL thing! I'm getting some decent vapor now!

Doesn't produce much of a throat hit though, at least compared to a 510. It also needs topped off now and then when the vapor starts dropping off. I’m not getting the amount of vapor I expected but I tried dripping and got a LOT better hits…. You have to be REAL careful dripping because the atty is so far down in there...

I think the polyester in the cart is being pushed back, away from the atomizer wick… if it’s not contacting that it’s not going to give up enough liquid, right??? I’m going to try adding some more or just refilling with my polyester batting that works so well in my 510 and 901s….. Yep, that helped a bunch! It's draining the cart a little better... Still needs a little more help....

I can't help but think that more voltage would make this thing into a MONSTER.... Replace the 3.7 Volt battery with a 5V...????? Maybe???? That atomizer IS rather LARGE.....

This atomizer is going to need some time to break in... more like WEEKS than hours or even days; this is not unexpected after reading other reviews.... Using the "Function Recovery Mode" described in the manual helps a bit too.... a manual burn-off of the crap on the atomizer. You do that and you should notice an immediate improvement.

If you get one of these, don't expect it to produce vapor like a DSE-601 Pipe or a Silver Bullet. It does nicely but will take a while to break in..... BE PATIENT!

I will update this as my experience with it grows.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread