Request for recommendation, upgrading from 510

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasTucker

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
Texas, Austin area
Howdy folks,

I've been using 510 atomizers for a few months now, and while they certainly weren't bad for switching over from analog I have found them to be quite limiting.

First and foremost, I am planning on purchasing a Provari variable voltage mod as well as the recommended batteries/charger but currently my hobby jar has insufficient funds for that type of investment.

My main problem with the 510s is the characteristically low battery life and capacity, and the dropoff in vapor production and taste after the first few pulls off a freshly charged battery. I am currently using a small 510 manual battery that simply isnt doing the job, and after looking into new batteries I decided it might be best to get a completely new setup.

Size/stealth/analog appearance is not a factor and I am looking for an atomizer/battery combo that will give me at least several hours of moderate-heavy vaping (my 510 battery which is fairly new gets about 20 minutes if I am using it lightly) as well as excellent vapor production.

Has anyone had this problem and had a good experience with their upgrade? Looking to spend less than $50 or so to get a few atomizers and at least 1 big, reliable battery.

Thanks!

Shannon65

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Tampa, FL
If your heart isn't set on atomizers and you would consider very easily re-fillable cartomizers I would recommend a KR808-D1 set. I got the G6 from Halo and the batteries are lasting me around 4 hours of pretty heavy vaping and by the time one battery dies the other is generally charged fully and ready to roll. It's quite the little work horse for a small e cig. The kit costs $54.99 and even though it's a 2 piece it is very, very easy to refill the cartos since they have the soft mouthpiece. They also don't leak. :)

I have seen these kits from Halocigs, Smokeless Image, Bloog and Vapor Leaf. I think Vapor Leaf has the cheapest kit but I don't know if that kit has the same new technology that the G6 does. I also had a 510 with atomizers kit and I switched to the Halo G6 and LOVE it. If your heart is set on a 3 piece then my suggestion won't be of much help, though.

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
The 510 is the thread size. My fellow Texan I never felt like I hit that sweet spot until I tried dual coil cartomizers from Mad Vapes. They just make it so so much better. Pick up a cheap box mod kit ($45) over at mad vapes or just jump up to an ego and slp on some good dual coils.

Mad Vapes is having a close out on ego 900mah batts thats like 3.7 volts. There $9.99 so you could pick up 2 and a charger for around $25 dollars.

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
I had the same experience with the Joye 510. Great set up, but for a heavy vapor, still short battery life, even with the XL batt.

I decided to upgrade to the eGo. The battery (900 mAh) is great and lasts me a little less than a day if I can vape a lot. One day without problem, if I have to be away from it at work. I recommend the 1100 mAh. The 900 mAh is $22 from ecig express, and was delivered in three days.

I also selected this model because I keep using the same atomizers (which I knew I liked) and can also use the tank system. I love it! The tank is not great for times when dripping juice in the cart is not safe or practical. The regular atty / cart is fantastic for switching juice and deliver more TH and taste.

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
I had the same experience with the Joye 510. Great set up, but for a heavy vapor, still short battery life, even with the XL batt.

I decided to upgrade to the eGo. The battery (900 mAh) is great and lasts me a little less than a day if I can vape a lot. One day without problem, if I have to be away from it at work. I recommend the 1100 mAh. The 900 mAh is $22 from ecig express, and was delivered in three days.

I also selected this model because I keep using the same atomizers (which I knew I liked) and can also use the tank system. I love it! The tank is not great for times when dripping juice in the cart is not safe or practical. The regular atty / cart is fantastic for switching juice and deliver more TH and taste.

I bought five from mad vapes for Less than $50. Off brand but all the reviews were great.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
510 attys and cartomizers are way "over-hyped" IMO. Until you get your variable volt PV, here's what I suggest you give a try:

801 attys and cartomizers. They hold the most liquid and have the biggest coil. Within the 801 category, I am not a fan of the high bridge DSE801's. I much prefer the low bridge BE112's (801 size and threading) or the mini-801 (just cut down in length) from IKenvape - also a low bridge. For cartos, I would try the 801's from MadVapes. They hold 40+ drops of liquid and only cost $1.49. Now, this all being said, I do not recommend 801's on small battery devices. You really need to use a 5 volt or variable volt PV to maximize their performance. In fact, I wouldn't use them on anything less than a 5 volt PV.

So to stay around your budget, I would get one of Ken's 5 volt box mods ($37). He is well supported on ECF and stands behind his products:

Box Mods

Black 801 Cartomizer

IKV HV 801 3.5

Many of us who have been doing this for awhile, use the 801's.

TexasTucker

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2011
Texas, Austin area
Thanks so much for the ideas, the box mods are looking the most appealing to me at this point. This is some good information to digest and some options to check out. One problem is that I dont have the batteries or charger for them, which raises the price a good bit (don't know why I didn't assume this...I can't remember the last electronic I bought that required batteries and actually included them).

After having a free day to browse forums and websites galore I may end up getting a variable voltage mod sooner than I thought, as its almost blasphemy vaping this liquid gold out of a stick that gives only a few good puffs and then drops off a cliff. So much to ponder...

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
I went from a little 510 with atomizer/cartridge to a Riva and cartomizers... definitely a big improvement. Now that I've spent some time with that (and spent a lot of time reading this forum), I'm getting more and more curious about higher voltages. The one I think I'll get when I have some extra money is this:
Variable Voltage Box Mod
I like the idea of having a wide range of voltages to try.

That and some nice cartos sound like a nice combo to me. My favorites are the Ikenvape Gold V2 and the dual coils. Take that with a grain of salt though... I haven't tried that many cartos so far.

BeatSherlock

Nov 11, 2010
Los Angeles
For me I'd suggest liberty flights also. Got my Genuine Joye eGo kit for about $45 shipped. Lasts all day. Charge one while using the other and you're rollin'.

Add a couple boxes (10 total cartos) of Flüxomizers and you're set. Those don't gunk up easy, flavor and vapor production are great, cleaning is a snap. Last quite a while. Been mad vaping on these guys for about 2 months. When I feel a drop in performance (change in flavor) just swap it out for a new one, set aside, rotate it in later or clean it. Save initial fuss though, just switch it up. Haven't had to clean one yet. New ones apparently don't have primer, I just took the tubes off mine and burned it off the wicks with a lighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread