Regarding dual coils and twisting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I just ordered my very first rda and as soon as my Dark Horse arrives Im going to attempt my very first build. I have been studying all the battery safety, ohm's law and watching video after video on wrapping coils and wicking. I get that twisting the kanthal reduces ohms and provides more surface area, and, as i understand it if i build a dual coil(one off of each negative post) with a total resistance of lets say 1 ohm, then each coil is running at .5 ohms. If my understanding is correct then my question is, am I concerned with individual coil load or total ohms on the build. Like if i put my dual coil build on my ohm reader and it says 1.0 ohms then is that the measurement against which i compare my battery?

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Total resistance (ohms) is what you compare to your battery.
If your dual coil build reads 1.0 ohms then that is your total resistance, meaning both your coils are at 2.0 ohms.
On a side not I would highly recommend you try out your new RDA with regular dual coils and leave the twisted coils till you get the hang of building coils.
I stick with 26-28 gauge A1 kanthal regular dual coils, I find no need for complicated builds myself.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
^^^^ this^^^^
Wet your teeth on standard coils first. I would take it one step further and start out building single macro coils. Once you can build a coil and consistently get the ohms you are shooting for, then move up to dual coils... You want both coils to be as even as possible so they both heat at the same rate.
You misunderstood something you read. A dual coil will halve the resistance of each coil..... Two 1 ohm coils becomes a .5 ohm build, two .5 ohm coils becomes .25 ohms etc...
Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread