Recommended nicotine concentration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I'm debating between 12mg, 18mg, 24mg, 36mg, and 48mg - all 120ml bottles. I've been making my own juices for a little over a year. The last time I placed a big order was in June (2014), apparently my 12mg nic, 120ml somehow lasted this long...I just finished the last of it today.
That said, I can't decide which concentration I want to go with this time. It will be a PG base, that I am certain of. I also vape very low nic (never over 3mg). My juices are usually 60/40 (pg/vg) or 50/50
Here's how I see it: I can go with a lower concentration, say 12 or 18, and have to possibly purchase more sooner. Or, I can go with a higher concentration, say 48. If I go with the latter, I'll obviously need to purchase more PG since I'll be using less nic, which accounts for some of the PG in the overall mix.

What would you guys go with? 100mg is out of the question, I know its only $5 more, but every dollar counts, and I am content with 3mg.

I think my best option is to purchase 250ml of PG + 120ml's of the 48 or 36mg nic. I'm not too concerned with VG since I can usually find it at CVS, Walmart, etc. By the way, I haven't purchased VG in some time, but is it still readily available?

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I use 36mg. My wife vapes at 18mg - so the maths is easy for her and it's a low enough concentration that even if she vaped it straight, it'd be unlikely to kill her!

I vape at 1.5mg and i like the 36mg (compared to say 100mg/ml) because i have to use more of it, sounds weird i realise, but having to use more makes measuring the volume easier and it's not a catastrophe if i am off by a ml.

i bought some VG about a month ago and it's about $26 a gallon.

T

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I use 36mg. My wife vapes at 18mg - so the maths is easy for her and it's a low enough concentration that even if she vaped it straight, it'd be unlikely to kill her!

I vape at 1.5mg and i like the 36mg (compared to say 100mg/ml) because i have to use more of it, sounds weird i realise, but having to use more makes measuring the volume easier and it's not a catastrophe if i am off by a ml.

i bought some VG about a month ago and it's about $26 a gallon.

T

Thanks T,

It seems like 36mg would be the happy medium for me, and yourself of course. I don't think I'll need 1 gallon of VG. 240ml's lasted me about a year. I'll certainly purchase the gallon if I cannot find my usual 120ml bottles though. From where did you purchase it? If you don't mind me asking.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Usually either RTS vapes or Wizard Labs - they always have specials going on and if i have a big flavour order for HRH and myself, it's not too hard to qualify for free shipping.

I've been making juice for myself in 600ml batches, just because work has been busy and i have to plan a month ahead for time off.

T

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Usually either RTS vapes or Wizard Labs - they always have specials going on and if i have a big flavour order for HRH and myself, it's not too hard to qualify for free shipping.

I've been making juice for myself in 600ml batches, just because work has been busy and i have to plan a month ahead for time off.

T

I see why you would need that much vg then! I'll stick to wizard labs. Thanks again, T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Long term, it's always more economical to buy the highest strength available. When you break it down in terms of price per mg of nicotine, you're paying far less for the 100mg/ml liquid than you would for anything with a lower concentration. If you're worried about handling such a high concentration, you can always dilute it yourself after purchase.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Long term, it's always more economical to buy the highest strength available. When you break it down in terms of price per mg of nicotine, you're paying far less for the 100mg/ml liquid than you would for anything with a lower concentration. If you're worried about handling such a high concentration, you can always dilute it yourself after purchase.

Thanks for the input! My concern isn't with handling 100mg nicotine. It's the fact that if 12mg lasted me a year, I cannot imagine how long 100mg will last, haha. I'm not too big on keeping bottles of nicotine around for too long. Anyhow, I went with the 48 mg, and used the extra money to purchase more VG and PG.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Personally i'd buy the highest nicotine lquid i could find. If money was an issue i'd buy a smaller bottle. If i only wanted a very low nicotine content in my e liquid then the higher my nicotine liquid is to start with the more i have to cut it and therefore my original nicotine lquid would go much, much further.

100ml of 48mg nicotine liquid diluted to 3mg nicotine equals 1600ml of e liquid. I simply wouldn't care about the cost of cutting liquid because the cost is negligible. I buy 200 mil of VG for about £1.70 ($2.50) from the chemist. And it doesn't cost much more from online e liquid vendors really anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread