Rebuilding T3 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone on here give a go at rebuilding the T3 coils? I've been trying to rebuild them using a variety of wicks and number of coils (my multimeter has some big leads, so I can't get a consistent resistance reading), and they all do great and then suddenly taste awful after a few minutes.

I've been rebuilding the coils in my CE3s for awhile and got that down pretty good. I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong here. I basically followed the Youtube videos that are out there (process is the same, even if the SI T3s are slightly different underneath), but it goes from good to gross pretty quickly.

Any tips/suggestions/ideas?

EDIT: I thought I might have been making the coils too tight, so I loosened it up a bit. Thought it might've been the coils to close to one another so I spaced them out.

ktazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
brooklyn ny
i'm jealous of you 2, whenever i try rebuilding a t3 i can never get the coil done correctly (32g kanthal) and when i test them with my multimeter they always come out to about 1.4.-1.7 volts instead of the 2.1-2.4 i'm looking for

i swear, i've tried about 30-ish times and never got one that tested higher than 1.7 volts

How many wraps are you doing? Usually 5 to 6 will get u around 2.4

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
i'm jealous of you 2, whenever i try rebuilding a t3 i can never get the coil done correctly (32g kanthal) and when i test them with my multimeter they always come out to about 1.4.-1.7 volts instead of the 2.1-2.4 i'm looking for

i swear, i've tried about 30-ish times and never got one that tested higher than 1.7 volts

I assume you mean OHMs not Volts... My wife just started trying her hand at vaping again and she is using a T3... I guess I will be rebuilding it soon enough. For the OP, Perhaps your coils are to tight around the wick??? Cutting off the wicking capability and getting nasty dry hits? I guess I need to go review a youtube vid to see what I am getting into...

Symbiotic Biorhythms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
I rebuild mine all the time. They seem pretty easy to do. The real trick is finding the right wicking material & amount. I started with silica wick, but pretty much use only cotton yarn these days.

32 Gauge Kanthal, a 440 machine screw (from radio shack) to wrap it, and a small beading needle to thread the wick into the coil. I use 5 or 6 (top) wraps depending on the juice I am using.

I learned everything from this video fellow ECF'er dam718 made.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ke-perfect-coil-every-time-2.html#post8404306

Again, the coil is the easy part. The hard part is dialing in the amount of wicking material you use, and if you want to use 'flavor wicks' on top.

J_L_K_64

Aug 16, 2012
usa
How many wraps are you doing? Usually 5 to 6 will get u around 2.4

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

i could only get 5 wraps max, maybe my because of my adhd, but i couldn't hold it steady enough to wrap them without them touching

I assume you mean OHMs not Volts... My wife just started trying her hand at vaping again and she is using a T3... I guess I will be rebuilding it soon enough. For the OP, Perhaps your coils are to tight around the wick??? Cutting off the wicking capability and getting nasty dry hits? I guess I need to go review a youtube vid to see what I am getting into...

yeah, ohms not volts, couldn't remember the word, lol
i didn't even test them with liquid because the ohms were so low, in the end i gave up and just stick to replacing flavor wicks when needed

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
OK, I just tried this and mine didn't work. What does it mean when you put it on the battery and the LED just blinks three times?

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I got it. The wire ends were still a little straggly at the bottom after I cut them, probably causing a short. Works now.

Last edited:
OK, I just tried this and mine didn't work. What does it mean when you put it on the battery and the LED just blinks three times?

EDIT: Oops, never mind. I got it. The wire ends were still a little straggly at the bottom after I cut them, probably causing a short. Works now.

Awesome! Glad it worked.

greasemonky89

May 29, 2013
Palmdale,CA
I built 4 so far today with 3 mm silica wick. Lr at 1.8-2.0 ohms @ 4 wraps. LR because im running the x2 batteries. Anyway spacing is important as well it will change the ohms no matter the wrap count. Hence why mine vary.

I recommend 3 mm wick to eliminate the need of flavor wicks to cover the gap. No leaks or gurgle. Good vapor production and better draw. Use a threading needle threw the wick to stablize it as u wrap. Oh yeah and oxidize the wire before.

A wrench in one hand and my PV in the other.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I built 4 so far today with 3 mm silica wick. Lr at 1.8-2.0 ohms @ 4 wraps. LR because im running the x2 batteries. Anyway spacing is important as well it will change the ohms no matter the wrap count. Hence why mine vary.

I recommend 3 mm wick to eliminate the need of flavor wicks to cover the gap. No leaks or gurgle. Good vapor production and better draw. Use a threading needle threw the wick to stablize it as u wrap. Oh yeah and oxidize the wire before.

A wrench in one hand and my PV in the other.

I went a little thicker too - 2mm + 2 strands, did the 4/40 screw thing, 5 wraps on top/4 on the bottom, + the rest of the loose strands as flavor wicks. I bet 3mm would work better. Just have to get a slightly thicker screw now (I really like that method).

I had a little Goldilocks thing going on with tugging the wires at the bottom. Too tight and it doesn't wick properly; too loose and it leaks like crazy. I stuck a T-pin through the coil before pulling them snug, and ah, just right. I'm suspecting that the resistance ended up being a little lower than spec (sorry, no way of checking right now), because it's working way better than the original coil ever did on my X2s. Hits almost as well as my Vision VT now, no leaks 'til it gets low, and really brings out the cool hit on my Orange Creamsickle.

I just pulsed mine and did a very short dry burn before filling. How do you oxidize the wire before coiling?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread