Real World: 18650 Extension Cap Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
I've decided to get a Provari very soon, but $$$ is extremely tight. I understand that the extension end cap enables one to put in the larger, longer lasting 18650 batteries as opposed to the 18490, but I guess I am asking: how big a deal is this benefit on a practical, day-to-day basis?

Any thoughts on the difference between these two batteries as opposed to the cost savings of doing without the extension cap would be appreciated. Thanks.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The ways vape my 18650 lasts between 6 and 8 hrs. I have three of them one is always charged one in the Provari, and one charging. Not sure how many I would have to have if I didn't have the 2000 mAh version, but my guess would be 5, with two of the Pila chargers instead of one charger. Just sayin'

Carbon

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The 18490 battery lasts me most of the day until around 7pm. The 18650 lasts me until bedtime around 10pm. I use both, but usually go with the longer lasting battery. If money is truly a factor, my advice would be to just use the smaller battery, and if you find after using them you need longer battery time, then get the extension cap and a couple of 18650 batteries.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
It's not a necessity-you will just change batteries a bit more frequently. I use the extension because I prefer the way it fits in my hand with it versus the standard cap and 18490's. 1100 mah should last you all day with maybe a swap in the evening, but of course that depends a LOT on how you vape. Carbon isn't typical I would say, but he's an example of how the 18650 and extension would be better if you're a very heavy vaper.

CarbonThief

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It's not a necessity-you will just change batteries a bit more frequently. I use the extension because I prefer the way it fits in my hand with it versus the standard cap and 18490's. 1100 mah should last you all day with maybe a swap in the evening, but of course that depends a LOT on how you vape.Carbon isn't typical I would say,but he's an example of how the 18650 and extension would be better if you're a very heavy vaper.]

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard THAT...

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
if money is tight perhaps buying a provari isnt the best idea...
my provari with panasonic cgr18650ch ran a full day for me. i vape ~3-4ml a day at moderate to high wattage. if you can say the same dont skip on the extension cap.
for the record, my zmax rev2 runs 2+ days under the same useage. a much more efficient pv for sure

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
if money is tight perhaps buying a provari isnt the best idea...
my provari with panasonic cgr18650ch ran a full day for me. i vape ~3-4ml a day at moderate to high wattage. if you can say the same dont skip on the extension cap.
for the record, my zmax rev2 runs 2+ days under the same useage. a much more efficient pv for sure

If money is tight its likely because youre not thinking about long term....sure you can get cheaper pvs but when you start to add up the replacement costs of those in a 2-3 year period the Provari is a steal.

Im not rich by any means but the reason I have extra money to play with is because of applying that idea to most of my purchases.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
If money is tight its likely because youre not thinking about long term....sure you can get cheaper pvs but when you start to add up the replacement costs of those in a 2-3 year period the Provari is a steal.

Im not rich by any means but the reason I have extra money to play with is because of applying that idea to most of my purchases.

Any time i buy anything i look for the best quality for my money. and believe me, the way youre looking at it may work for buying say a frying pan but tech is a whole different animal. Moores law applies here in vaping as much as in computers. i had a provari and have a stainless zmax and i am 100% certain by the time either of them break they will be long since obsolete. And dont get me wrong, the shell of the provari is a lot heavier than the zmax. however the zmax will survive drops from 10 ft or being run over just as well and they share a common weak point; a fragile silicon chip that in neither mod is shock mounted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread