ramblings of a nicotine addict

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
This has to be the best post I ever read on this forum. Congrats for quitting, but most of all, congrats for being so ... honest with yourself.

The smell is what always motivated me most after not wanting to die. It's amazing how it slaps you in the face when you haven't had a cigarette for a few days.

Your story really shows how we are all different and we have to take it slowly and listen to our bodies / minds. A lot of people try to go all the way immediately when what they really need is to take it slowly and let the process work its magic.

As for getting rid of the nicotine, I do believe that after a while you don't need it as much as you used to. That phase you went through when you found out it's less potent -and not as immediately satisfying- as what you get from a cigarette.... that's what will help you wean yourself off it. A lot of people find that they can go without vaping for a longer period of time than they ever could without smoking. You will naturally lower your intake with time if you want to. And it won't be as hard as you think it will be.

I started a month ago at 12 or 18 - always had a tank with 24 close by. Then I found that I couldn't really tell the difference between 12 and 18. So I settled at 12. Now I'm mostly at 6, again no real difference except I don't make myself sick by chain vaping. I'll lower gradually over the next few months with the ultimate goal of getting to 0. I just don't need the nic to live and it does have potential side effects I want to get rid of.

But mostly I still hate being a slave to it. I want to be a vaper who only vapes for the sheer pleasure of it, whenever she wants to, not because she has to.

Now, there's no rush. My real goal is to stay off cigarettes forever. If I need some level of nic to do that, then so be it, and I don't want to go too fast and fall back to cigs.

Last edited:

johnspack

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
Nelson B.C.
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread....... on the 28th I hit 6 months smoke free after 40 years. The part I see is you found vaping! Well, we all did at some point, it's why we are here. Just good to know it's helped someone else...... I'm still fighting with it, changing my eliquid strenghts, ratios, trying new cartos... but in the end, I know I'm not smoking any more. By the way, smoking killed both my mother and father, from smoking related cancer. I'm a huge advocate of e-cigs, and any way we get here, that's the best!

BamaGirl4Life

Verified Member
Jun 21, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Great read, Jambi! Congratulations! I am also new to vaping, bought my last pack of cigs last Thursday morning...got my iTaste vv v3 in the mail late Thursday afternoon and then made my trek to my local vape store to pick up my tanks and some e-juice and my vaping journey began. I had a few regular cigs left in the pack and smoked the last one Saturday morning. I have recently had a similar experience as you...opened a bag and the stale cig smoke smell slapped me in the face. Even as a smoker for 25 years, Although I love(d) the smell of a cigarette while it was being smoked, I hated the lingering smell a cigarette left behind on a person and always had perfumed spray with me at all times so that I wouldn't smell nasty. i'm sure I was the only one who didn't think I smelled. Anyway, all of that to say I can so relate to you, as so many others can. I've started vaping with 16mg of nic and like mistike I plan to gradually wean myself down to 0. I have some 12mg on order to begin on soon. Looking forward to seeing your posts as you share your journey! Personally, I am so grateful to have found this forum. Just been on it for a couple of days and I've already gotten such great advice and guidance, not to mention a lot of smiles and laughter along the way!

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony! I could relate to what you said, it's uncanny. Congrats for your success! Oh, and like what's been said, I agree with those who say to not worry about the nicotine, because your body will let you know when it's time to lessen the mg. In the meantime, just coast, relax, and enjoy your new smoke free freedom.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Great read and congrats. I don't have time to do anything anymore let alone smoke analogs. There are too many coils to build, too many wicks to wick, too many coils and wicks to clean and burn and re-wick and too many items still to be purchased. I have switched addictions and could not be happier.

Welcome, Regards, Bests and hope we all stay the course. Here is to your new journey:toast:

Pinot

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2014
New Zealand
Terrific story, thanks so much for sharing :) Been almost a month for me, Sadly I am still struggling to rid myself of the analogs for good.

I agree it's a wonderful well written story. But never beat yourself up for not completely quitting. I never thought I would quit and I never intended to. I still smoke 1 cig a day (1 month down the track). Well done you! You have not smoked how many cigs?

I agree it's a wonderful well written story. But never beat yourself up for not completely quitting. I never thought I would quit and I never intended to. I still smoke 1 cig a day (1 month down the track). Well done you! You have not smoked how many cigs?

Down to 7-ish, from a pack, pack and a 1/2 (depending on the day ... Laughs)

Ryan Kelly

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
that was beautifully written. i truly enjoyed reading it. I'm 18. I was a pack a day smoker for nearly a year before i got into vaping. I've eliminated cigs mostly. now i only smoke in the car when I'm driving. just can't seem to kick the habit of rolling down the window and having my arm resting out in the fresh crisp air while i drag on a cigarette. part of it is my ego as sad and stuck up as that sounds. I've always been a little rebellious and part of it is just for the attention and i feel like when i drive and smoke cigs people look at me and think I'm sort of a bada**. of course that is not true and i know it but your post has given me hope that one day soon i too can be completely cigarette free. thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the vaping world! hope all goes well for you. keep up the good work! if you ever need support this forum is filled to the brim with lovely people ready to help in any way they can.

Pinot

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2014
New Zealand
Down to 7-ish, from a pack, pack and a 1/2 (depending on the day ... Laughs)

That's wonderful. I find it all depends on my day. A good day when I can keep vaping is different from a bad one when I can't. There are a number of people on here who consider themselves dual users and hey if you thought you would only smoke 7 a day would you have thought that was bad?

FlatKo

Jun 23, 2014
Germany
Very well written!

I never had the intention to vape in order to quit smoking entireley because I knew it would only lead to pressure and me not wanting to quit smoking... I guess thats why all my (rare) attempts to quit in the previous decades failed.

How surprised I was that I didnt want to smoke anymore when I got my Evod set, been smokefree for two months now without any need for analogues (but a very bad case of vaping hardware virus).

I guess I'm just lucky, didnt expect to actually because I was a very addicted smoker even when I was down to 2-3 cigs a day, felt the same addiction as when I smoked 30 (though the health issues were practically non existant with less than 10 cigs, never coughed in 25 years)

"It's...like my own form of spirituality...smoke."

Couldn't agree more :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread