Questions from a brand new vaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsilonmirror

Feb 10, 2011
nyc
Hi guys. I finally decided to quit smoking so I figured i should give these vapes a try. I have a few questions though. I just took my first few hits a few minutes ago and man is this stuff harsh. I tried two diff fluids, top vapor root beer 0mg and dekang usa mix 6mg and they both kill my throat. It feels odd coming from smoking a pack a day and now I'm coughing worse than my first cigarette. Is this normal? I figured without the smoke it wouldn't be that bad. Also is it normal to barely be able to taste the liquid? All I'm getting is a hint of a taste while exhaling. Could it also be my equipment? Instead of buying a kit i just bought a set of 2.4-2.6 ohm xl clearomizers and a battery connector and I'm running at 3.6v using 3AA nimh batts.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I can't answer your equipment questions :(

Regarding choking on the inhale and not tasting anything:

Even though your lungs are accustomed to inhaling one of the harshest substances around (smoke) they aren't used to inhaling vapor and any foreign substance in your lungs is going to be hard at first, just like it was when you started smoking.

E-cigarettes are not used the same way as tobacco cigarettes. To use an e-cig you should take a loooong, slow, easy drag into your mouth and then inhale the vapor into your lungs - don't hold it in - try exhaling through your nose for more flavor.

With tobacco cigs you take a short hard drag, you can't use e-cigs that way.

Good Luck! :)

Phreaker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I think you are fine on gear. I got my first clearomizer the other day and though it was harsh too. You see, the clearomizers have the atomizer right under that little plastic cap. I had to put a drip tip on it so the vapor wasn't so warm/harsh. Also, are you dragging, then inhaling after the drag? Taking a drag right into your lungs will give me a harsh throat hit, which honestly at times is what I want.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
The first few days were kinda ruff on me as well. You just cannot inhale into the throat
at first. Just pull into the mouth and exhale. Slowly increase into the throat area over
the next few days and all should be well. Many go thru this.
Not sure what equipment your using or if your using cartomizers...atomizers..dripping.
All of them...will give a very harsh hit, if you do not have enough juice. It'll make your
eyes water!!!!
Watch some youtube videos and see if that helps as well.

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Welcome to ECF!

Great suggestions here:) Another thought is so get some higher VG blend juices. Sometimes folks find the high PG juices harsh and make them 70/30 or 50/50 instead. I do 20/80 juices myself. Some vendors let you choose your ratio of PG/VG so try that if it keeps making you cough.

And ask us any questions you have!

Lori

epsilonmirror

Feb 10, 2011
nyc
Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe it is because I went for a box mod to start with instead of one of the cigarette sized vapes, but my first instinct was to puff and hold like a cigar. I think I'm used to it now, no coughs at all on the usa root beer liquid, but the chinese liquid is still messing with me a little bit. I assume that is because of the pg/vg ratio like some of you suggested. I think I'll try and find a 50/50 tobacco flavos that I like.
Also I have one more question. Do any of you vape unflavored liquid? I wonder since the flavors seem so subtle if anyone just skips them all together.
Once again thanks for all the replies.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
brand new attys often have primer on that that tastes bad

100% PG juices with nicotine are harsh because PG lets through the most harshness of nicotine

100% PG are usually Dekang juices from China and certainly not the pinnacle of juice making

Get some good US juices. Try a ratio like 70pg/30vg (Backwoods Brew is 70/30 and many of FreedomSMokeUSA juices are available in a variety of ratios). Other people have other faves.

Taste - the human tongue can only taste sweet, salty, bitter, sour, umami (MSG). Everything else is visual, texture and aroma. Since ejuices have no visual or texture flavor clues, you are very dependent on aroma. Depending on flavoring, a juice may have a sweet or sweet/sour taste or not much taste at all for some tobaccos. So you have to remember to let your nose get some of the vapor. Cigs do that for you by covering you in smoke. Ecigs don't. Good juices with nice aromas are needed.

Last edited:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Hi guys. I finally decided to quit smoking so I figured i should give these vapes a try. I have a few questions though. I just took my first few hits a few minutes ago and man is this stuff harsh. I tried two diff fluids, top vapor root beer 0mg and dekang usa mix 6mg and they both kill my throat. It feels odd coming from smoking a pack a day and now I'm coughing worse than my first cigarette. Is this normal? I figured without the smoke it wouldn't be that bad. Also is it normal to barely be able to taste the liquid? All I'm getting is a hint of a taste while exhaling. Could it also be my equipment? Instead of buying a kit i just bought a set of 2.4-2.6 ohm xl clearomizers and a battery connector and I'm running at 3.6v using 3AA nimh batts.

Sounds like you could be getting a scortched vape out of your CE2's at that power level. I think those are the lowest resistance level CE2's. I've only tried one CE2, closer to 3ohms, and I thought it ran a little hot on my battery MOD. I wouldn't be surprised if the lower resistance level guys burn the crap out liquids on full power MODs.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
... Also I have one more question. Do any of you vape unflavored liquid? I wonder since the flavors seem so subtle if anyone just skips them all together.

Generally, the flavors are pretty vivid. Maybe you've got some really bad liquids or you're equipment not working as it should?

GirlyPantz

Jan 14, 2011
Brisbane
Also I have one more question. Do any of you vape unflavored liquid? I wonder since the flavors seem so subtle if anyone just skips them all together.

The only time I smoke "plain" is if I am trying to exhaust vape a flavour out of my atty instead of doing a full clean. I found that I get more flavour out of my juice by drinking plain water and cutting sugar from my diet. Try your own experiments but one that gets me is directly after something sweet my vape seems harsher: the sweeter the treat the harsher the vape. Not only did I quit smoking thanks to vaping but I also gave up my serious soda habit too :D. I still have the occasional glass of soda but really notice how it effects my vape, so I actually prefer plain water now.(who said we shouldn't call this stuff the healthier alternative? LOL)

Yes it could be your gear too..... For my 1st vape I bought a 401 pass through (just to suck it and see) it gave me a rough smokey taste lacking on flavour and I wasn't getting any sweet taste at all. Then my Ego kit arrived and using the same bottle of juice and a standard Ego mega atty found it sweet and overpowering on flavour to the point where I had to cut my liquid down by 50%. But then tried the original juice on a low resitance Ego atty and it gave me a rough smokey taste similar to my 401. Best suggestion I can make is look for a meet in your area so you can try a few differnt mods, voltages and juice from different suppliers without having to buy everything on the market first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread