Question and Idea from a Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

concernedwife

Apr 22, 2009
I'm not really "concernedwife" -- I'm actually the source of her concern -- the husband.

I'm new to vaping and have only tried two products so far. The first one I returned to a seller on Amazon due to the fact that it was like sucking ice-cream through a straw and very little vapor. My next and current device is a Janty MiniFogger which I love. Except the battery life. I have a USB pass-through on order from them and can't wait for it to arrive.

Now, my question is as follows.

I want to make my own mod and need to cannibalize the atomizer connector from the end of one of the MiniFogger batteries as well as the blue LED from the end. It's my understanding that the Janty MiniFogger battery is similar to the Janty Dura C batteries (the USB pass-through is compatible with both types). If anyone can tell my the best way to go about taking one of these things apart, I would very much appreciate it. I don't want to end up destroying the very thing I need to use.

My idea for a mod will use a Black & Decker VersaPak battery designed for use in their portable power tools. The things come in two "flavors" -- NiCad and NiMH. They put out 3.6 volts and I believe they are rated at about 1200 mAh. I've attached pictures below if you're not familiar with these things.

I figure (guess, actually) that using one of these will allow me to vape for a couple of days (at least) before needing to recharge or swap the battery for a fresh one. My plan is to make something which will have the atty and female battery connection snap onto the end of the VersPak battery and have an appearance similar to the Magnum or Trog's Screwdriver (sort of).

I have some ideas of how to accomplish this but wanted to get some opinions from the real experts here before I even begin. If I actually complete it, I will call it the "VersaVape."

Tim

Attachments

• VersaPakBattery.jpg
    VersaPakBattery.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 47
  • VPakCharger.jpg
    VPakCharger.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 43
  • VPakDimensions.jpg
    VPakDimensions.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 52

concernedwife

Apr 22, 2009
I certainly can't answer your question, but looks like a pretty cool idea to me. :)

Thanks VV!

I intend to make something that looks decent, but failing that objective I just want the thing to work.

There's a video I finally discovered made by Bastage on constructing a DIY USB pass-through in which he demonstrates gutting a DSE-901 battery, so I no longer need that info. The battery in his video is certainly similar enough to follow the same procedure.

Unless anyone can give me a good reason why I shouldn't use a VersaPak battery I'm going to go ahead with the project.

Tim

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
screw an atomizer into the battery and just start wiggling it around to see if you can work the connector loose. If you can not get the connector off that way then you probably will have to resort to the 'peel' method where you carefully peel away the metal outer casing of the battery using a couple of pairs of pliers.

The LED tip side should have vent holes where you can jam something in them and pry off the LED.

DW

cddz

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Newark, Ohio
I'm not really "concernedwife" -- I'm actually the source of her concern -- the husband.

I'm new to vaping and have only tried two products so far. The first one I returned to a seller on Amazon due to the fact that it was like sucking ice-cream through a straw and very little vapor. My next and current device is a Janty MiniFogger which I love. Except the battery life. I have a USB pass-through on order from them and can't wait for it to arrive.

Now, my question is as follows.

I want to make my own mod and need to cannibalize the atomizer connector from the end of one of the MiniFogger batteries as well as the blue LED from the end. It's my understanding that the Janty MiniFogger battery is similar to the Janty Dura C batteries (the USB pass-through is compatible with both types). If anyone can tell my the best way to go about taking one of these things apart, I would very much appreciate it. I don't want to end up destroying the very thing I need to use.

My idea for a mod will use a Black & Decker VersaPak battery designed for use in their portable power tools. The things come in two "flavors" -- NiCad and NiMH. They put out 3.6 volts and I believe they are rated at about 1200 mAh. I've attached pictures below if you're not familiar with these things.

I figure (guess, actually) that using one of these will allow me to vape for a couple of days (at least) before needing to recharge or swap the battery for a fresh one. My plan is to make something which will have the atty and female battery connection snap onto the end of the VersPak battery and have an appearance similar to the Magnum or Trog's Screwdriver (sort of).

I have some ideas of how to accomplish this but wanted to get some opinions from the real experts here before I even begin. If I actually complete it, I will call it the "VersaVape."

Tim

You can find batteries all over the net cheaper than those batteries that have the same voltage rating and just as good or better mah. Just my two cents :)

concernedwife

Apr 22, 2009
You can find batteries all over the net cheaper than those batteries that have the same voltage rating and just as good or better mah. Just my two cents :)

Do you mean that there are VersaPak style batteries cheaper than the VersaPak batteries from Black & Decker? If so, then I might have chosen to use one of them.

Since I already have oodles of the things (the NiMH type) I'll simply go with what I have.

Testing one of them before going to the trouble of constructing a mod has demonstrated to me that they work just fine and have a nice form factor as well.

I tend to use things that are around my house and garage before purchasing something new. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread