Not open for further replies.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
jifjifjif said:
Parallel coil of 28 gauge Kanthal 3 wraps around a Q-Tip shaft and wicked with 3mm Ready Xwick.

Ohms in at .45 and is a beast.

Did you ever figure out the exact diameter of your q-tips? Digging around in places I probably don't belong under the bathroom sink, I discovered three boxes of q-tips and one is an off brand. All three have different gauge shafts, even the ones that are the q-tip brand. The biggest one is just over 2.5mm which seems too small for 3mm readyxwick. I found a few long wooden shafted q-tips (gun cleaning devices) with exactly 3mm diameter shafts, but I'm pretty sure I read that 3mm readyxwick needs to be in a coil that is slightly less than 3mm inner diameter.

In the mean time, I did parallels with 6 wraps on the 2.5mm shaft with 29 ga and wicked with cotton. It came out to .8 ohms and is performing very well.

What q-tip do I need to have the right shaft size to handle 3mm readyxwick?

I've been wanting to try parallels in my RM2 since the first time I saw you post about it. I appreciate it.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Back when the Jifster suggested Q-Tips, I drug out my big box of them and the shanks averaged .998" or slightly over 2.5mm. Was close enough to others that have said they used #38 or #39 drill bits, so I tried them. The Q-shank worked OK for 3mm RxW. I've heard of others using 7/64" bits, so I tried it and IMO they are too big for good contact with the wick. So I settled on using either a 2.5mm mandrel for micro coils, or a .055" drill rod blank speared down the center of the wick for support and hand wrap a fairly tight ugly coil on them, pull the rod out, they settle in and are ready to go. Both work very well for my uses with 3mm RxW anyway.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Hey, guys.

Mine are Q-Tip brand and the size of the box is the big one that has like 500 of them or whatever. It's the biggest box you can buy at walmart.

I don't have calipers and so I don't know the shaft diameter. It's probably the 2.5mm one. When I put the RxW in there, I have to snip the wick to a point on one side and then screw it in. It seems a bit tight going in, but wicks well. I probably get 5 or 6 good blasts before I need to resquonk.

I'm using 28 gauge and I think 3 wraps gives me .43 or so.

I hope it works out well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread