Question About ReadyxWick 2.7MM & Coil Wrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
I was looking at the 71-page thread in the Reos mods section but there's so many posts to go through so sorry if this question has already been answered.

Can a coil with a 3mm diameter be used on the 2.7mm ReadyxWick? I read some posts in that big thread that you have to use a 7/64 bit to wrap on or the ReadyxWick won't work but I can't find that stated on the official website.

I have a coil wrapping tool I'd rather use. It's either that or wrap the coil around the wick itself and I'm having enough problems with coils using the coil wrapping tool. I don't trust my limited wrapping abilities to attempt to wrap a coil around the ReadyxWick.

Will the 2.7mm make contact with a 3mm coil?

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Well it was impossible for me to get this into my 3mm coil so I had to wrap a new coil around the wick. It's very sloppy-looking with some spaces and it came out to .38 ohms but I'm sure that will fluctuate like all the other coils I've wrapped.

The flavor is...peculiar. I don't know if it's because this is the first time I'm not using cotton or if I didn't saturate the ReadyxWick enough...or if it just needs more time. There's almost a paper-type taste. Not very pleasant :confused:

Update: I found a 7/64 drill bit and wrapped a somewhat neat coil on it that came out at .57 ohms. I was able to thread the ReadyxWick through it, saturated it and now it tastes good.

I'm still not sure how to tell when it's fully saturated because it doesn't get as dark as cotton. I had my e-liquid running down the side of my mod so I decided to stop saturating the RxW even though it still looked pretty white.

Last edited:

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you ever have the time there is so much useful info in that RxW thread, people were trying all kinds of things and figuring out what worked and what didn't. I wish someone would pull it out of the REO section. It just ended up there because there were a lot of REO users who use it and there was no need for everyone to venture out of our little world looking for info.

RxW works best when it's squeezed into a coil, there's a lot of info about which coil size for which wick. I run the middle size, 3mm I believe, and I but it into 2.5mm coils. I think there was a drill bit size a little smaller, I found that the coils I made with the drill bit end up being about that size and it much easier to make them on my coil master and give them a good tug with some pliers when I'm done so they stay right at 2.5mm.

If you cut the wick @ 45 degrees and wet the end with a drop or 2 of juice it will twist through. If you don't have to work at it just a little your coil is too big and it won't perform as well as it could.

I tend to leave the wicks in too long and don't deal with them until they are pretty clogged, that's about 2 weeks and 100ml of fairly dark flavored juice in my case. I put my atty in the ultrasonic cleaner with hot water to get the most of the juice out of the wicks then dry them with a paper towel and run a small propane pencil torch over them. They usually clean, but stuck in the coils at this point so between quick passes with the torch and pulsing the coils I can basically cook them loose so the twist out without deforming my coils. Next I make the coils glow a dip them under the faucet a couple of times and give them another bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and they look almost new. I take the wicks and torch them clean, there is usually a spot that was inside the coil that is pretty hammered by the time it is clean. That spot won't move juice very well and I've found I get more use out of a wick if I snip it off. This gives me a couple of months more or less before the wick is too short to reach the juice well with the atty I'm using.

It sounds like an elaborate process, but it only takes about 15 min.

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you ever have the time there is so much useful info in that RxW thread, people were trying all kinds of things and figuring out what worked and what didn't. I wish someone would pull it out of the REO section. It just ended up there because there were a lot of REO users who use it and there was no need for everyone to venture out of our little world looking for info.

RxW works best when it's squeezed into a coil, there's a lot of info about which coil size for which wick. I run the middle size, 3mm I believe, and I but it into 2.5mm coils. I think there was a drill bit size a little smaller, I found that the coils I made with the drill bit end up being about that size and it much easier to make them on my coil master and give them a good tug with some pliers when I'm done so they stay right at 2.5mm.

If you cut the wick @ 45 degrees and wet the end with a drop or 2 of juice it will twist through. If you don't have to work at it just a little your coil is too big and it won't perform as well as it could.

I tend to leave the wicks in too long and don't deal with them until they are pretty clogged, that's about 2 weeks and 100ml of fairly dark flavored juice in my case. I put my atty in the ultrasonic cleaner with hot water to get the most of the juice out of the wicks then dry them with a paper towel and run a small propane pencil torch over them. They usually clean, but stuck in the coils at this point so between quick passes with the torch and pulsing the coils I can basically cook them loose so the twist out without deforming my coils. Next I make the coils glow a dip them under the faucet a couple of times and give them another bath in the ultrasonic cleaner and they look almost new. I take the wicks and torch them clean, there is usually a spot that was inside the coil that is pretty hammered by the time it is clean. That spot won't move juice very well and I've found I get more use out of a wick if I snip it off. This gives me a couple of months more or less before the wick is too short to reach the juice well with the atty I'm using.

It sounds like an elaborate process, but it only takes about 15 min.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
Thanks TX Foilhead. I am able to get the wicks in the coils pretty easily now. I don't do the 45 degree thing. I just put my index finger and thumb over the coil with the tips of my fingers over the edge so the wick doesn't have anywhere to go but directly in the coil. The 2.7mm RxW screws into a 7/64 coil quite easily.

In my limited experience, I've found the papery taste only with an unused piece of RxW. There is a break in period for me at least and it's quite long. It took about 2 hours to start tasting good. I guess that's something I'll have to deal with every time I use a new piece, which I plan on doing as little as possible. I want this stuff to last!

Now I need to figure out how to determine when the RxW has been completely dry burned. It still looks white and no more vapor is produced but the wick is still moist and still smells like whatever e-liquid was in there. However, when putting in a different flavor I don't taste the previous flavor so I guess I'm doing it right.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i may have missed you say what you are using but i always keep the tails of the wick fairly short. Mine are tucked under the coils - and the coils are mounted tilted at say 45°.

i know people that just have the wick touch the deck of the RDA and that means it'll wick fast but run out of juice fast too. So it depends on the vape you like. One of the best things about the wick is that a dry hit does not ruin it and leave you coughing lungs up in the same way cotton does.

i have never been that religious about dry burning the stuff - you can tell when a coil is clogged and it's time to dry burn or start over, but i am vaping on a Velocity on a Reo just now that has been my ADV for well over 4 months . I'm using dual coils claptoned that weigh in at about 0.3Ω.

As one of the laziest vapers on the face of the planet it's an ideal setup.

T

TX Foilhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A fresh wick does taste a little different, but that doesn't last long and never returns, I'm not even sure it's bad.

I don't really change flavors, I just dump something else in the REO bottle that mixes OK and continue on. If I have something that I can't do that with then it stays in anther REO.

For a new or cleaned wick I usually prime it once it's in, it just speeds the process up.

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
i may have missed you say what you are using but i always keep the tails of the wick fairly short. Mine are tucked under the coils - and the coils are mounted tilted at say 45°.

i know people that just have the wick touch the deck of the RDA and that means it'll wick fast but run out of juice fast too. So it depends on the vape you like. One of the best things about the wick is that a dry hit does not ruin it and leave you coughing lungs up in the same way cotton does.

i have never been that religious about dry burning the stuff - you can tell when a coil is clogged and it's time to dry burn or start over, but i am vaping on a Velocity on a Reo just now that has been my ADV for well over 4 months . I'm using dual coils claptoned that weigh in at about 0.3Ω.

As one of the laziest vapers on the face of the planet it's an ideal setup.

T

I'm using a Eleaf iPower 80 watt mod, and a Merlin RTA. It's been going well so far. I'm still using the same wick from my last post. It's looking kind of ratty but the flavor and vapor production are still good and I haven't gotten that nasty papery taste. The next time I use a new piece of the RxW I'm gonna let it soak for a loooong time to avoid that nasty taste.

I used to keep the ends of the wick pointed down covering the juice flow but the Merlin RTA instructions say not to do that, so now I keep the wick tails right above the juice flow holes. I don't detect any difference.

The other problems I had with Temperature Protection & fluctuating ohm readings have ceased now that I'm using 26 gauge stainless steel spaced coil. The ohm reading did jump from .50 to .52 after one of my RxW dry burn cleanings, but it's been steady for a whole week now. Nothing like before with Japanese Organic Cotton.

Reactions: supertrunker

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
A few things that you should know before using silica (readywick, ecowool, etc).

Some types of silica wick have a polyester core-stuffing that you NEED to remove beforehand, the wick should basically be a hollow tube.
After you have de-cored the portion of wick you intend to use, grab it with needlenose pliers and use a small butane torch to heat the wick until it glows orange. This burns off any oil left from manufacturing.

I'm hoping I've just told you something you already know, but on the off-chance you didn't... consider yourself informed!

Herrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2016
A few things that you should know before using silica (readywick, ecowool, etc).

Some types of silica wick have a polyester core-stuffing that you NEED to remove beforehand, the wick should basically be a hollow tube.
After you have de-cored the portion of wick you intend to use, grab it with needlenose pliers and use a small butane torch to heat the wick until it glows orange. This burns off any oil left from manufacturing.

I'm hoping I've just told you something you already know, but on the off-chance you didn't... consider yourself informed!

Just saw your post now. I stopped using RxW because I couldn't get it to wick properly. I didn't see anything in the RxW thread or the RxW website about having to remove stuffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread