Protesting your "Verified Member" debacle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
jump.gif

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
don't know if this is even feaseable but why not add an option for a mod to call you on the phone?
sure it would be time consuming, but no mroe so than the 5 minutes they likely spend getting the info gathered and sorted anyways.

i mean the point is to verify your a real person correct? I cannot imagine they have any use for the information beyond that.

100% feedback on ebay helps a lot too :)

50% score (2 items bought,happy to get your money) (2 items sold,buyers never received items or misrepresented items,that gets you unverified in a jiffy)

You never bought anything there?

Vouchers system kicks in

No friends,not even cyberfriends?

Damn!

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth
Agreed. It appears the OP is already established with PayPal and EBay, so I'm not sure why he wouldn't use one of those to get verified here.

I started to, but the forum board also wanted my name, address, and other info for their records. IMHO, we need to start making our footprint smaller on the internet, not larger. Way too many places have our personal info. And way too many places get hacked and have that info spilled all over the internet. Your info only needs to be posted one time for it to be archived forever and available to every identity thief who is trying to look you up.

Funny story, me and friend were discussing this and he said he was very careful and that no one could find any info on him, so I bet him I could. I did a few searches and found that he was on an email-list which is archived on the net. From there I saw he had invited people to his house and got his name, address, phone, GPS coordinates to his house, I went to Google Maps and took a few satellite pics of his house. I got even more info at other places. From the info I listed 10 of his best friends, his hobbies, even what city he was born in. You can also look up political party affiliation, taxes on a house, and so much more is out there and freely available. I bundled it all up and sent him a copy. He was a little freaked by some of it.
Spend a few minutes and Google yourself. You might be surprised what you find! (for a laugh don't forget to look under Google Images)

I guess many would say I am paranoid. But Google me and you find nothing (I have to thank my instructor for Computer Information 101. He told us under no circumstances use our real names on the net.) Which isn't to say I'm not represented on the net. I have hundreds of pseudonyms, some before the WWW (remember Gopher, Telnet, FTP, Email-Lists? Haha, there were no click-able links back then! It was all apps and DOS prompts!) It's funny when I come across an old message from decades past under so many different names. I forget the old names till I see them. But all that info is still there. It never goes away...ever! So I figure we should all be a little more paranoid.

I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. It shocks me what people post on Facebook and other social networking sites, pictures of themselves, personal info, contact info, current location. I guess the new generation simply feels the benefits of such info being posted everywhere outweigh the risks. Where as my generation feel the risks are too high to post that kind of information. To each their own...and good luck!

:)

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
We've all got a choice, get verified to participate in the classifieds or don't and buy and sell somewhere else. This system seems to be working really well for ECF, it's here to stay. The only thing I would like to see, is viewing access for unverified members. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to be able to view the classifieds without having posting privileges. There may be a reason I'm not aware of why this isn't allowed, but I can't personally see the harm in unverified members viewing the classifieds.

njdude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2009
TX
I am not sure if the admins/mods are actively processing verification's these days. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard since, agreed everyone is busy and lots of people are probably submitting applications everyday. There has to be some better way to make this process a little easier and smoother.

Liscab

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2009
Miami fl.
I am not sure if the admins/mods are actively processing verification's these days. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard since, agreed everyone is busy and lots of people are probably submitting applications everyday. There has to be some better way to make this process a little easier and smoother.

but you are verified

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
I started to, but the forum board also wanted my name, address, and other info for their records. IMHO, we need to start making our footprint smaller on the internet, not larger. Way too many places have our personal info. And way too many places get hacked and have that info spilled all over the internet. Your info only needs to be posted one time for it to be archived forever and available to every identity thief who is trying to look you up.

Funny story, me and friend were discussing this and he said he was very careful and that no one could find any info on him, so I bet him I could. I did a few searches and found that he was on an email-list which is archived on the net. From there I saw he had invited people to his house and got his name, address, phone, GPS coordinates to his house, I went to Google Maps and took a few satellite pics of his house. I got even more info at other places. From the info I listed 10 of his best friends, his hobbies, even what city he was born in. You can also look up political party affiliation, taxes on a house, and so much more is out there and freely available. I bundled it all up and sent him a copy. He was a little freaked by some of it.
Spend a few minutes and Google yourself. You might be surprised what you find! (for a laugh don't forget to look under Google Images)

I guess many would say I am paranoid. But Google me and you find nothing (I have to thank my instructor for Computer Information 101. He told us under no circumstances use our real names on the net.) Which isn't to say I'm not represented on the net. I have hundreds of pseudonyms, some before the WWW (remember Gopher, Telnet, FTP, Email-Lists? Haha, there were no click-able links back then! It was all apps and DOS prompts!) It's funny when I come across an old message from decades past under so many different names. I forget the old names till I see them. But all that info is still there. It never goes away...ever! So I figure we should all be a little more paranoid.

I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy. It shocks me what people post on Facebook and other social networking sites, pictures of themselves, personal info, contact info, current location. I guess the new generation simply feels the benefits of such info being posted everywhere outweigh the risks. Where as my generation feel the risks are too high to post that kind of information. To each their own...and good luck!

:)

I don't blame you at all. You just won't be able to buy or sell on the classifieds here. Not that big a price to pay given the strength of your feelings. :)

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
There may be a reason I'm not aware of why this isn't allowed, but I can't personally see the harm in unverified members viewing the classifieds.

Because there are two parties involved in every transaction, one of whom doesn't need to post anything to the classifieds.

The current set-up ensures that both the buyer and seller (or both traders) are verified.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
The form asked for my name and address...I am not sure what is so scary about that. Call me old fashioned but I expect to supply as much if I am conducting business on someone's site.

I don't understand the LEO part, if they had a warrant ECF could be forced to just give them my IP (unless I was on a proxy) and the LEO could get my info from my ISP. Besides, why are the police after me? And why from here? Did I do something illegal here in this scenario?

Also, names and addresses are not what hackers are after and I am not sure what harm will come to me if people know my name and where I live...a lot of people do in fact know that.

Seems like a big deal being made out of nothing.

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth
I don't understand the LEO part, if they had a warrant ECF could be forced to just give them my IP (unless I was on a proxy) and the LEO could get my info from my ISP. Besides, why are the police after me? And why from here? Did I do something illegal here in this scenario?
Yes, you did! Because your a bad bad man! ROTFLMAO!

Also, names and addresses are not what hackers are after and I am not sure what harm will come to me if people know my name and where I live...a lot of people do in fact know that. Seems like a big deal being made out of nothing.
With just your name and a hometown, an identity thief can get the rest of the info he needs off the net to open lines of credit in your name, bank accounts in your name, etc... And there may be other wacko's who just want to track you down. There are 5 billion people in the world. Most are nice people like Sheriff Andy Taylor or Aunt Bee, but a small percent of them are thieves, killers, psychotics, organized crime, etc... Now ask yourself just one question: Do you really want "everyone" to have your name and address? Really?

I am certainly not saying that some thief/wacko couldn't track me. I rarely use TOR (anonymous browsing) and stuff like that. But why make it easier by spreading more of your personal info around? I draw the line at forum boards. My bank has to know who I am and I accept that. A forum board does not. For me, the line is drawn here!

Also, I am not complaining so much as just letting the forum owners know that many nice people can no longer use their sell/trade forums and that's a shame. I will just use the one at VT. It's no big deal really. It's just a protest.

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Earth
Irrational post. ECF does not have my password. DUH. As for my name & address, You give it to total strangers when you buy from them.Keith
I never said anything about a password. So I have no idea what your even talking about there. Perhaps you could read my original post again and point that out to me.

Your second point is very well stated. When I buy/sell/trade with someone the first thing I do is give them my real name, address, and phone, hoping they will do the same. But it is my choice to enter into that risk with a single person (I'm always hoping it isn't a crime syndicate, heh).
It is a different thing entirely to trust a forum board to hold secret my information which has the possibility, no matter how remote, of being released to the world. I simply do not choose to enter into that risk. Also, the more places you give that kind of information the larger the risk that something bad will happen. It's just plain statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread