PROTANK II Wick source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Phil

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Hi, I am using a Protank II on an Ego Batt. I clean and dryburn pretty regularly. But I have noticed that the removable wicks are getting pretty raggedy. I was wondering what a good replacement wick would be. And, does anyone have a generic local source (like walmart or a "craft" store) or online sources?

Mr_Phil

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
To be honest I haven't a clue about silica over anything. I am still using the original wicks that were on the coils when bought. And, well, they have been washed many times. Most are very discolored and falling apart. But, on the upside I bought five coils a couple of months ago and the rotation / dry burn has kept all of them vaping well.

The cotton ball idea is worth a shot. Just pinch off a hunk and roll between fingers?

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Hi, I am using a Protank II on an Ego Batt. I clean and dryburn pretty regularly. But I have noticed that the removable wicks are getting pretty raggedy.
I was wondering what a good replacement wick would be. And, does anyone have a generic local source (like walmart or a "craft" store) or online sources?

I (and many others) use and like this stuff...
- Ecru | Peaches And Creme

as compared to wad cotton, I like the consistency

and I paid $1.67 for 360 feet at wallworld...

and of course, never dry-burn cotton (just a simple replace)

:)

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
To be honest I haven't a clue about silica over anything. I am still using the original wicks that were on the coils when bought. And, well, they have been washed many times. Most are very discolored and falling apart. But, on the upside I bought five coils a couple of months ago and the rotation / dry burn has kept all of them vaping well.

The cotton ball idea is worth a shot. Just pinch off a hunk and roll between fingers?

Yup, pretty much. :) There's a little learning curve to getting the right amount, but I'm told there are lots of good youtube tutorials on it. (My computer doesn't like youtube much, so I've just been doing trial and error. ;))

I (and many others) use and like this stuff...
- Ecru | Peaches And Creme

as compared to wad cotton, I like the consistency

and I paid $1.67 for 360 feet at wallworld...

and of course, never dry-burn cotton (just a simple replace)

Also a very good option^.

valooper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
USA
Oh yeah cotton is a dream I pull all the silica out of mine dry burn the coils run under tap water dry it then roll some cotton and shove her in there I use a peice of 24 ga kanthal to push the cotton through cause you will never be able to put it in the bottom coil with your fingers the top one you can though then just cut the ends short put the little cappy on amd drop idk 6 drops of juice down the hole then attach tank and vape away my friend vape away

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
There's a lot of crafty sources for cotton to use as that replacement top wick. Got any cheesecloth in the kitchen drawers? Cut a small piece, roll it, place it, trim it - works great too. Don't use the cheesecloth you get at the likes of Home Depot though - it's not the same as the stuff made for cooking.

Gotta emphasize too the importance of that top wick. I know a lot of people say they remove it and that somehow makes things better. There are also a lot of people who remove it and then have leaking, gurgling and flooding problems. It's in there for a reason - to help seal the liquid in the tank, feed liquid to the coil in a controlled manner, and to prevent flooding into the vent tube.

As said - you can't dry burn cotton. Don't forget to take any cotton out before you dry burn a coil. Considering a single cotton ball can make a boat load of top wicks this is no problem. :p

Last edited:

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
Oh yeah cotton is a dream I pull all the silica out of mine dry burn the coils run under tap water dry it then roll some cotton and shove her in there I use a peice of 24 ga kanthal to push the cotton through cause you will never be able to put it in the bottom coil with your fingers the top one you can though then just cut the ends short put the little cappy on amd drop idk 6 drops of juice down the hole then attach tank and vape away my friend vape away

I thread cotton in my BCCs with my fingers... but I don't have man-fingers. ;)

Mr_Phil

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
I appreciate all the answers. I'd rebuild the coil proper excepting an injury to my dominant hand pretty much kills any fine detail work. So, I soak in hot water and then dryburn with the top wick removed. Clarification on cotton yarn, the dyes don't mess with flavor or anything do they?

Been vaping for a long time. I just am not much of an electronic hobbyist. I tend to hold onto hardware until it is no longer workable. Once I got past the original NJoy style atty's and began using tanks/carts and now tank/coil I get to simply vape away.

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
I appreciate all the answers. I'd rebuild the coil proper excepting an injury to my dominant hand pretty much kills any fine detail work. So, I soak in hot water and then dryburn with the top wick removed. Clarification on cotton yarn, the dyes don't mess with flavor or anything do they?

Been vaping for a long time. I just am not much of an electronic hobbyist. I tend to hold onto hardware until it is no longer workable. Once I got past the original NJoy style atty's and began using tanks/carts and now tank/coil I get to simply vape away.

I believe dyes are the reason people go with ecru/ white cotton yarn. You probably wouldn't want to try any of the colored ones.

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
I appreciate all the answers. I'd rebuild the coil proper excepting an injury to my dominant hand pretty much kills any fine detail work.
So, I soak in hot water and then dryburn with the top wick removed.
Clarification on cotton yarn, the dyes don't mess with flavor or anything do they?

Been vaping for a long time. I just am not much of an electronic hobbyist. I tend to hold onto hardware until it is no longer workable.
Once I got past the original NJoy style atty's and began using tanks/carts and now tank/coil I get to simply vape away.

Ecru comes from the French word écru, which means literally 'raw' or 'unbleached'

wonder if these would aid you with your endeavors …?
- $2.16 Pre-Coiled Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (50-Pack) 50-pack - 32 AWG / 1.5ohm / 30*30mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
Just FYI (in case anyone here doesn't know), even though écru does literally mean raw/ unbleached, in english it also refers to a specific color and sometimes textiles and yarns labeled 'ecru' will still be bleached and dyed that pale beige color (for uniformity). I'm sure they aren't ALL done that way, but some are.

Last edited:

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
oh yeah, well Ecru is a town in Pontotoc County, Mississippi. The population was 895 at the 2010 census.
Home to the largest upholstered furniture factory in the world…
:lol::laugh: :lol::laugh: :lol::laugh:

- - -

so I took the first 100’ off my roll of Ecru Peaches And Creme Yarn
and boiled it, mostly thinking about all the grubby hands from wallyworld,
and the waste water from it came out clear, clean 
can’t say for sure about the natural state, but it seems to be, to me…

tho maybe a slight diff in taste compared to wad cotton
either goes away in 6-8 puffs...

faile

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Indiana
Yeah, sorry, I'm a little bit of a fiber nerd... little bit (read: LOT) of a nerd in general, really. I didn't mean to make it sound like you're vaping dye-- it very well could be that Peaches n' Cream's ecru really is raw fiber! (Although commercial yarn manufacturers usually use acid dyes that don't bleed like the dye you or I might have access to... ok, I'll stop nerd-ing at you. ;)) I just wanted to put it out there that ecru isn't always raw fiber. Vape on! :vapor:

ETA--> Good idea boiling/ cleaning it anyway. :thumb: Manufacturers definitely don't take consumption/ inhalation into account when they're processing yarn.

Last edited:

valooper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2014
USA
Just FYI (in case anyone here doesn't know), even though écru does literally mean raw/ unbleached, in english it also refers to a specific color and sometimes textiles and yarns labeled 'ecru' will still be bleached and dyed that pale beige color (for uniformity). I'm sure they aren't ALL done that way, but some are.

BA.....BA....BA....BA..............BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont mess with walterscan and her fibers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread