Poor performance with a few Backwoods juices has left me sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I'm really surprised to read this thread. I've been using nothing but BWB juices with Bloog & Volt cartomizers and I've had no issues at all. I've used this combination with Bloog batteries, Riva 901 fat batteries and with a 3.7v box mod and I've never had any performance issues. I've really felt that Bloog has the best cartomizers and Backwoods Brew the best jucies.
Are you certain you just don't have a bad cartomizer?

Not related to Bloog Cartos, which I will need to try...

But I found this threat googling BWB Gunk. lol

I find that Virginia for me does not vape clean and leaves black black gunk in the cup/on the coils for all 510 atomizers. I've been vaping it straight for like 5 months and figured I was just not doing well enough to clean them. This week I bought some CE2's and they work for about 3 hits, then the coil goes black and the wicking thread starts to turn dark brown/black. After that, it just doesn't vape.

It might sound gross, but the black stuff smells like burnt sugar and tastes like a shot of straight flavoring. There must be some solids suspended in the flavor that have either a lower burning temp than a 2.8ohm 3.2volt setup puts out, or a higher vaporization temp than PG/VG, leaving solids behind.

I think tonight I'll filter some BWB virginia through a coffee filter and see what gets left behind, and also how the filtered vapor works/tastes. If this works to reduce the blackening coils, maybe Don can add a filtration step to his brewing process, provided flavor loss is tolerable. The bottles I'm working with are at least 4 weeks old and pretty fully steeped.

Someone smart ought to create a replaceable coil shield to transfer heat to liquid while protecting the heating coil. I'd bet in general atomizers would last 2-3x longer. Sort of like how a PG smoke machine works - liquid drips on a heated plate, making steam which is then forced out the opening to fill the room.

evilparks

Aug 30, 2011
VA
Mickstar - glad you posted this!

I've been using BWB juices for 7 months and absolutely LOVE them. By far my favorite juice vendor and has gotten me through the many months before Bloog started offering juices. I've ordered tons of juice from them in the past but my last "good" batch was dated 4/12 and 4/13 (30ml bottles of Backo, eJoker, and RY4). Since then I've ordered Vanilla Bean (10ml), Coconut (10ml), Wafle (10ml), Honey Flue (10ml), and Adirondak (15ml) all on 6/21 and NONE of them work in any cartomizer, clearomizer, ego-T, etc. that I've tried. I also have 3 30ml bottles of Hunter's Blend, Applewood, and Casablanca all dated 7/9 that a friend gave me when he was frustrated they didn't work in his cartomizers.

I've been searching for ANY PV, atty, or carto that'll work with the "new" BWB because I love the flavors so much. I've tried G4 clearomizers, top coil cartomizers, Boge 510 LR and standard cartos, ego-T attys, etc. and ALL of them work for the first 5-10 puffs and then go burnt. Once burnt, nothing can save them and they have to be chucked. I've thrown away so much random crap it's not even funny trying to get this stuff to work. All of it worked with another 70/30 blend juice vendor that I tried first to make sure it wasn't the device but then die a horrible death by the BWB juices.

The whole thing has been very frustrating because I have yet to find another juice vendor that I really love the taste of - I've found a few that are good but none that are on par with BWB. I really hope BWB fixes their issue but I'm very hesitant to try again with the amount of money I've sunk into the quest. I blamed the v2 Bloog cartos at first since the timing was about right but even the old cartos I have died and then all the other devices I tried fell to it as well. Definitely a BWB problem in my opinion after a LOT of testing.

Here's hoping the problem is fixed! If anyone else has luck please post the born on date on the juice!

TeeW

Feb 18, 2011
Chicago
I too have recently had this problem and have been watching and hoping for a solution. My last two batches of malty have been problematic as described (black tar like substance within first fill). I think Jake1 hit the nail on the head, it definitely has to do with the date of the juices I ordered. I have been vaping malty (my favorite) for over 7 months and 4 of those on bloog carto's with no problem at all. My orders after 6/28/11 have been the ones with problems. A friend of mine had some (malty) from April so I asked him if I could try it to see if the same thing would happen, I vaped his entire 30ml bottle without any problem. I cannot say with absolute certainty that it's the juice, but giving what I experienced first hand It's hard to deny. As stated earlier I really hope this gets worked out soon because I love BWB juices, they are by far the best tasting I have ever had.

evilparks

Aug 30, 2011
VA
My orders after 6/28/11 have been the ones with problems.

That lines up just about perfect with what I'm seeing too. My April orders were fine but my order on 6/21 and later all have the same problem. It's gotta be something about the PG or VG base he started using. I asked Don about it via email and he said that he hadn't changed anything so maybe he just got a bad batch of PG/VG from his distributor or something. Hopefully we'll get enough people chiming in about it working again that I'll feel safe dropping more money on BWB.

Based on the message on his website it looks like he's out of town until the 11th. Hopefully he sees this thread when he gets back from vacation and chimes in!

TeeW

Feb 18, 2011
Chicago
Just an update, I have now tried Malty on Bloog, Smokless Image, & Halo G6 (just today on G6) and all three with the same result. It is such a damn shame too, because the first 5 drags were that awesome taste and then the flavor changes and you can tell it's going bad by the condensation on the rubber tip (dark brown/black). Into the garbage with another carto.

profection

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL via Minnesota
List of Don's (BWB)flavors that vape wonderfully in my Bloog,

Backo
Applewood
Cappuccino
Cafe Mocha
Carmel Cappuccino
Casablanca
Cherry Tobacco
Dulce De Leche
Espresso
Honey Flue
Honey Flue Nut
Malty 30/70 PG/VG
Malty Toffee 30/70 PG/VG
Maple Tobacco
Virginia
Hunters Blend
Ejoker
RY4

Hopefully someone has an idea as to why his juices work for some and not others but I have never had any problems at all.

shooter59

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Central Indiana
A couple of thoughts and questions.
If you are refilling with a fairly thick juice and hit hard a few times, you may not be giving the juice time to settle back down into the wick. If that is the case you will get the burnt taste too soon.
Second question is how much are you filling the carto with?
These cartos will hold 20 - 30 drops depending on how dry you vaped it, or another measure is 2/3 of a condom if you are using the condom fill method. If you are only dripping in 5-10 drops, it will not last very long until you get that nasty taste.

Just an update, I have now tried Malty on Bloog, Smokless Image, & Halo G6 (just today on G6) and all three with the same result. It is such a damn shame too, because the first 5 drags were that awesome taste and then the flavor changes and you can tell it's going bad by the condensation on the rubber tip (dark brown/black). Into the garbage with another carto.

TeeW

Feb 18, 2011
Chicago
Pro & Shooter, this is not a bash on Don actually as I have stated his flavors are in my opinion the best out there. I have been vaping for over 9 months and it has got me off smoking analog ciggs completely. I do not have this problem with other juices even thick (high vg) ones such as ave gorilla juice. I fill them properly - 1st fill 25-28 drops, and usually 10-12 drops to top off when they start to get low. All V4L wow juices chocolate, coffee, etc. do just fine in all carto's I mentioned above. Profection, please PM me and I will buy my carto's and BWB juice thru you as you apparently must be getting a different product than I am. I will take a few pictures and post them here so you can see exactly what I am describing, but I assure you it has nothing to do with how the carto's or juice is being used.

profection

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Daytona Beach, FL via Minnesota
Hey Tee,

Did not mean to come across as an expert (far,far,far from it) or thinking your bashing Don or his juices or don't know what your doing. I have heard of many people like you having the same problem so my only hope is that Don and Leaford may get the problem resolved so people that do enjoy his juices in their Bloog can keep doing so. Just was posting the juices that work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread