Poor performance with a few Backwoods juices has left me sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectraGlide

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
So on Friday I received from Backwoods Brew 4 juices, specifically, Bluebacco, 555 Exotic, Hunter's Blend, and Casablanca with Casablanca being the only one I've had before. I loaded a brand-new MaxxFusion cart with Bluebacco and the initial puff was okay but about two puffs later, the flavor was replaced with that taste of a dry cart vape. It got so bad my throat was getting irritated. The same thing happened with the other two flavors - except for the Casablanca. I'm pretty sure there is something in BWB's tobacco base that is causing the issue. I'm also sure the Casablanca uses a different formula. Anyway, I put the juice, initially, in fresh carts (MaxxFusion V2); tried cleaned out MF carts; tried soaking the living crap out of the carts in juice; condom-filling and spinning - all to no avail. I've wasted a lot of juice trying to get these carts going.

I finally put the new juice in some really old, used V4L carts I had laying around and they worked, although I would have preferred brand-new ones. So today I went ahead and bought some V4L Wow carts just so I can get some vapor out of these juices. When they work (like with all Halo juices) the Bloog carts seem to make the flavor smoother but fuller at the same time. So far, none of BWB standard tobacco-type juice has worked in my Bloog. I've only had success with Casablanca, Espresso, Green Apple, Peach, and oddly enough, Malty and Virginia. My weekend was a major disaster vapewise! :(

ElectraGlide

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Yeah, I can tell that those 3 out of the 4 juices that I got, Bluebacco, Hunter's Blend, and 555 Exotic all have the same underlying base. Too me, it's almost like a rubbery flavor except for the fact that I like it. It's not that nasty, bitter taste like if you lick a rubber band, you know? It's pleasant-tasting. I had the same issue with his (formerly) MaxBoro and Adirondack as well. The BlueBacco was the only one I managed to get enough drags out of the Bloog to be able to tell that I liked it a lot. Hey, if you guys get some Bloog Kamel juice in stock, I just might forget about BWB's tobaccos. Your Kamel is great IMO!

prometheus

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
My HFN was the one that got 'rubbery' for me. I get the same 'rubbery' taste from Taboo by LiquidXpress. RY4 performed great, as did Malty Toffee, melonbacco, and applewood. The only one I had a performance issue with was Maple Tobacco...and it was still useable if you kept it wet.

Probably because BWB gets the HFN flavor from LiquidXpress. The flavors from Liquid Xpress are some of the best but you have to use them within a month or 2. After that they go sour and rubbery. At least this is what happened to mine.

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
I've had mixed results with BWB. The Blueberry was fine, the Vanilla was okay, and the Malty Toffee was terrible. Although Malty Toffee tastes great, it is as thick as premium maple syrup (at least my batch was) and didn't do well in a carto of any manufacture as far as number of refills possible.

Last edited:

Dkrom68

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Backwoods NY USA
I have been seeing issues with the bloog catos and think there is a issue with them and the wicking material in them. My ratios or ingredients have not changed at all and have not had a wicking issue with them thus far.
So on Friday I received from Backwoods Brew 4 juices, specifically, Bluebacco, 555 Exotic, Hunter's Blend, and Casablanca with Casablanca being the only one I've had before. I loaded a brand-new MaxxFusion cart with Bluebacco and the initial puff was okay but about two puffs later, the flavor was replaced with that taste of a dry cart vape. It got so bad my throat was getting irritated. The same thing happened with the other two flavors - except for the Casablanca. I'm pretty sure there is something in BWB's tobacco base that is causing the issue. I'm also sure the Casablanca uses a different formula. Anyway, I put the juice, initially, in fresh carts (MaxxFusion V2); tried cleaned out MF carts; tried soaking the living crap out of the carts in juice; condom-filling and spinning - all to no avail. I've wasted a lot of juice trying to get these carts going.

I finally put the new juice in some really old, used V4L carts I had laying around and they worked, although I would have preferred brand-new ones. So today I went ahead and bought some V4L Wow carts just so I can get some vapor out of these juices. When they work (like with all Halo juices) the Bloog carts seem to make the flavor smoother but fuller at the same time. So far, none of BWB standard tobacco-type juice has worked in my Bloog. I've only had success with Casablanca, Espresso, Green Apple, Peach, and oddly enough, Malty and Virginia. My weekend was a major disaster vapewise! :(

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I have been seeing issues with the bloog catos and think there is a issue with them and the wicking material in them. My ratios or ingredients have not changed at all and have not had a wicking issue with them thus far.

Hi Dkrom,

Obviously we haven't "met." And I'm a bit peeved that you chose to "introduce" yourself by posting in my forum without prior authorization as required in the ECF rules.

But I'm willing to overlook that, because I believe in free speech and the open exchange of ideas. And also, because I think there is a greater opportunity here for us both.

On the one hand, Bloog has the best cartomizers on the market.

And on the other, BWB has some of the best flavors on the market and is about the most popular "outside brand" of liquid among our customers.

SO, it just seems natural to me that we should cooperate and solve these "issues," instead of fighting and playing a blame game. We can work together to make sure that your liquids work with my cartos, which will sell more cartos for me, and more liquids for you. We may even be able to cooperate further, like bringing out a line of MaxXFusion cartos prefilled with your liquids. Which I am sure would make our shared customers VERY happy.

But, if instead you want to play the blame game, be aware, I am well known for winning debates, because I make sure of my facts. And I will win this one if you carry it any further.

I already fixed my cartos wicking problems, and I have the testing data to back that up. I didn't just "think" there was an issue, I did tests to prove it, then found a solution, and did more tests to verify my solution. As a result, I do not just "think" the MF V2 cartos do not have a wicking problem, even with high VG juices, I know it.

Not to mention, the OP only had problems with certain flavors, but none with Casablanca. There are many like her, who have problems with some flavors, ahnd not others. And we have many customers who vape BWB without problem.

Some flavorings simply do not vaporize at the same rate as PG or VG. They can get left behind and can burn, clog the heating coil, interfere with wicking, etc. And the heavier or sweeter they are, the worse that is.

You should really check out the burning cartos thread, where they are discussing this right now; the effect flavorings and sugars have on atomizers, and how to do a home test for whether a given liquid will leave residue behind.

Like these posts, for example:

Put a couple drops on hot aluminum foil and you'll see color change and the formation of solid high carbon slag with some liquids.

What a very good Idea, That will show what happens to E-liquid and why they darken in the carto's and cartomizers. And why the juice gunk's up the coils over time.

Yup!

I actually don't need to test my eliquids anymore. The darker, the sweeter, the more flavorful the eliquid, the more gunk it will produce. All those additives do not evaporate and just stick to the coil--sugars, artificial colorings, artificial (or natural) flavorings.

I am telling you this as constructive criticism. We should work together to improve my cartomizers to work better with your juice, and improve your juice to work better in my cartos. But for that to work, you have to accept that it is the flavorings and additives causing the problem.

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Hi Dkrom,

On the one hand, Bloog has the best cartomizers on the market.

And on the other, BWB has some of the best flavors on the market and is about the most popular "outside brand" of liquid among our customers.

SO, it just seems natural to me that we should cooperate and solve these "issues," instead of fighting and playing a blame game. We can work together to make sure that your liquids work with my cartos, which will sell more cartos for me, and more liquids for you. We may even be able to cooperate further, like bringing out a line of MaxXFusion cartos prefilled with your liquids. Which I am sure would make our shared customers VERY happy.

That would be awesome. I love Bloog cartomizers, but I don't care for Chineese juice (too harsh and doesn't satisfy at all if you smoke analogues -- plus I can't handle 100% PG juices at all because it makes my throat constrict and I start choking). I have not tried BWB juices yet, but would definitely give it a go if you guys worked together. Great idea.

P.S. Leaford, I finally understand why you haven't brought larger cartomizers to market and even though I complained about it, I certainly appreciate your commitment to quality and not trying to sell your customers a product that only works half way even though I'm sure they would have helped sales numbers (at least at first they would have, the long run is probably another story).

Maybe we should compare what's worked and what hasn't for us. I think leaford's on the right track, it appears to be specific flavors. I can attest to Cherry Tobacco, Melonbacco, Strawberry, and Blueberry working fine. I've had Cherry Tobacco and Melonbacco make cartos last forever (haven't had Blueberry and Strawberry long enough to make an assessment, but they're very tasty, so I should know eventually). Caramel Cappuccino Burns cartos pretty quick, but it's sooooo yummy.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Maybe we should compare what's worked and what hasn't for us. I think leaford's on the right track, it appears to be specific flavors. I can attest to Cherry Tobacco, Melonbacco, Strawberry, and Blueberry working fine. I've had Cherry Tobacco and Melonbacco make cartos last forever (haven't had Blueberry and Strawberry long enough to make an assessment, but they're very tasty, so I should know eventually). Caramel Cappuccino Burns cartos pretty quick, but it's sooooo yummy.

A carto that works well with caramel would be another awesome invention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread