PG / VG and their affects, not bad.... dont worry.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Okay, Ive been seeing so many questions in regards to PG and VG, I went and did a little research on the net and found that PG=proplylene glycol is used in many products we use everyday,( hair, skin, mouthwash etc) and so is VG=vegetable glycerin.

I was noticing that people who used higher PG were having problems such as sore throats, dry skin, rashes etc. I started using a bit more PG to thin my juices out and started noticing that my throat was a lot drier and felt more throat hit. No tightness in chest. I found that PG is used as a dehumidifier. It naturally dries the air and anything it comes in contact. It is used in humidors to keep cigars from molding or getting too wet. Its used in food industry to preserve or keep certain things from decaying. Its used in skin products especially for non stripping skin products for oily skin.

It probably does the same thing to our mouths and air passages. Of course for those who are more sensitive or have already dry mucous membranes this can become an irritant. For people who have too much mucous or infected or too much fluids in lungs this is good as PG will dry all the excess liquid.

VG is a humectant , the opposite of PG. It is a natural vegetable product and moisturizes skin and hair and many other health products. It is used in inhalers for those with dry irritated sinuses and people who have dry tight bronchial passages.

I guess it all depends on ones natural respiratory health. PG used by those already in dry areas such as the desert might have problems with too much dryness. I notice that my skin is much more soft and moist since I started to vape and my hair is just horribly frizzy. I use heavy VG which draws moisture. PG repels moisture. So fiddle around with your juice and see if your respiratory needs are matching the chemical balance of your ejuice.

I hope this clears ups some of the mystery to juice problems. If you google " propylene glycol as a dehumidifier" you get all sorts of medical, industrial uses for it use to keep the air dry.

Now in days past there were some people kinda freaking out because they "thought" that PG was used in anti-freeze. The chemical root is similar but not the same. What is used in anti-freeze is a completely different man-altered chemical derived from PG. Remember these are natural compounds. Also, just because something is "natural" or "organic" it is not always safe;I.E. apple seeds if eaten in the right amount can kill you and that is what arsenic is made from.

SteveDTF

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
Fullerton, CA
I found that PG is used as a dehumidifier. It naturally dries the air and anything it comes in contact. It is used in humidors to keep cigars from molding or getting too wet.

I've never heard it referred to as a "dehumidifier." It may in fact be classified as that for some purposes, but with cigar humidors the goal is to prevent the cigars from drying out. So in that scenario PG is used to humidify, not dehumidify.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Its funny I kept reading that too, its sort of contradictary. While it initially felt moist it eventually pulls moisture. If you take some PG in a syringe and spray it into your sink after you have run the water as the drops hit you can see the water sort of "pull away" from the drops. When it comes to cigars it seems you need to have a perfect balance. If too moist they will mold, if too dry they will loose all their flavor. I know that it is also used in museum to keep manuscripts from decaying and also to keep them from molding? If you put it on your skin it initially feels moist but then your skin gets real dry. It was just something that keep going around everytime I saw a post about persons and sensitivity to either PG or VG.

i also kept coming up with lots of humidifier and dehumidifier links whenever I did a search for PG or VG.

Any chemistry majors out there?

Reactions: Dieseler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread