Pet Peeves... part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I think that's a sign of them being VERY new to building.. less that they are teaching bad habits.

It takes practice to know exactly how much your going to need to cut off, and practice to cut the perfect amount of cotton.

I waste a lot because I can't yet gauge those things well.. in time I know ill be able to cut off the perfect amount, but I'm still wasting a lot because when I try to cut the right amount I'm shorting myself, and when I try not to short myself I waste .

So that is simply a sign of being new to building.

So really the question should be, should someone new to building be trying to teach building? I'd say no..

Trouble is, they are doing it as "guides".... if they showed proper technique that anyone with any sort of common sense know that you don't need 3 feet of wire and have to cut off those 10 inch (or more) from the post. I'd take one to two inches, but some are simply ridiculous.

When I started, I went and was using the Steam engine measurement and would give myself a bit of breathing room and even then, never got more than maybe an inch too much. In time, got a tester, I don't even measure lenght, I just use the "claws" as I pull my wire and go with the ohm range I want and again, give myself a bit extra for what I know I'll be cutting... If I waste over a total of 1 inch, it's be due that I usually snapped a leg while tightening in the post and have to undo a wrap to get what I need, which lowers my ohms by barely about 0.05 or so... nothing that I worry about as I aim for above 0.2 (and lately, I've been in the 0.4 to 0.8 range depending on wire.)

My cotton/wick, heck if I waste more than the end clippings of maybe 1 cm at the most now... if I end up with a large enough piece that's just unusable, I'll simply work it into a useable one, either adding more, or adding it to another strand... people tend to not realize that you can "comb" the fibers fairly easily.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Trouble is, they are doing it as "guides".... if they showed proper technique that anyone with any sort of common sense know that you don't need 3 feet of wire and have to cut off those 10 inch (or more) from the post. I'd take one to two inches, but some are simply ridiculous.

When I started, I went and was using the Steam engine measurement and would give myself a bit of breathing room and even then, never got more than maybe an inch too much. In time, got a tester, I don't even measure lenght, I just use the "claws" as I pull my wire and go with the ohm range I want and again, give myself a bit extra for what I know I'll be cutting... If I waste over a total of 1 inch, it's be due that I usually snapped a leg while tightening in the post and have to undo a wrap to get what I need, which lowers my ohms by barely about 0.05 or so... nothing that I worry about as I aim for above 0.2 (and lately, I've been in the 0.4 to 0.8 range depending on wire.)

My cotton/wick, heck if I waste more than the end clippings of maybe 1 cm at the most now... if I end up with a large enough piece that's just unusable, I'll simply work it into a useable one, either adding more, or adding it to another strand... people tend to not realize that you can "comb" the fibers fairly easily.

I do agree with you that 10 inches extra is utterly ridiculous. Although, when I look for a build video I think I'm less likely to run into the level of idiocy often found in the cloud chasing crowd, because I'm over in the older folks mtl build crowd. I've actually never seen a video that cut off 10 inches of wire to make a coil. Lol.

I like being in the older folks mtl crowd, it's much more comfy over here. Hahaha. Don't have a bunch of kids trying to be cool!

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I do agree with you that 10 inches extra is utterly ridiculous. Although, when I look for a build video I think I'm less likely to run into the level of idiocy often found in the cloud chasing crowd, because I'm over in the older folks mtl build crowd. I've actually never seen a video that cut off 10 inches of wire to make a coil. Lol.

I like being in the older folks mtl crowd, it's much more comfy over here. Hahaha. Don't have a bunch of kids trying to be cool!
It's been a while since I've watched building videos... so to find some might be harder now, especially with sooo many of them.. but I do remember seeing some now and then when I look at a tank review and the guy builds and does it, I just skip forward to the final part so just to see the actual tank's/deck design.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It's been a while since I've watched building videos... so to find some might be harder now, especially with sooo many of them.. but I do remember seeing some now and then when I look at a tank review and the guy builds and does it, I just skip forward to the final part so just to see the actual tank's/deck design.

This last tank I bought was the first time I just looked at the pictures of the deck without watching the build video..

But I'm that new to building!

Reactions: Eskie

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
This last tank I bought was the first time I just looked at the pictures of the deck without watching the build video..

But I'm that new to building!

I like the crazier type tanks... LOL.

And for some, pictures don't give enough perspectives on all angles, size, etc.

Same with mods... some look small/big on pictures, but in someone's hands, makes a difference. (plus how it works, the clicking of the buttons, the interface, etc.)

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I like the crazier type tanks... LOL.

And for some, pictures don't give enough perspectives on all angles, size, etc.

Same with mods... some look small/big on pictures, but in someone's hands, makes a difference. (plus how it works, the clicking of the buttons, the interface, etc.)

So true!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Another of mine... youtube videos with people "showing" how they do things (builds, wicking, etc.) and I just twitch when they roll out 3 feet of wire and waste 90% of it, used full strand of cottons only to cut 90% of it (instead of simply using what's actually needed for both coils (or single)).. it's like if they don't center their 3 inch long wick, somehow those 1/2 inch tips that they could use and do several coils with, have some sort of flaws.

It just "teaches" newbies such bad techniques and mentality.

Overall, it's just a question that these people shouldn't even make these videos, they are more harmful than helpful, especially when you know what you're doing and can make a list of the mistakes these people do.

I will say I ain't no master builder but the way some build and wick their coils is just plain stupid, most times its wrong so I can see how it can frustrate a new builder to no end. It just frustrates me to watch some use 5 feet of wire and huge amounts of wicking that is all wasted then make rabbit ears, cut and stuff.
I now base watching review videos on how they do the build on the atty, any monkey can talk about a hitter but its how they manufacture the build that determines if they are a hack or not.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Another of mine... youtube videos with people "showing" how they do things (builds, wicking, etc.) and I just twitch when they roll out 3 feet of wire and waste 90% of it, used full strand of cottons only to cut 90% of it (instead of simply using what's actually needed for both coils (or single)).. it's like if they don't center their 3 inch long wick, somehow those 1/2 inch tips that they could use and do several coils with, have some sort of flaws.

It just "teaches" newbies such bad techniques and mentality.

Overall, it's just a question that these people shouldn't even make these videos, they are more harmful than helpful, especially when you know what you're doing and can make a list of the mistakes these people do.
    YES!!! I'm very frugal (kind of have to be with the lack of money dealio). I don't build.... yet, but I've been slowly learning the whole process. (I know, I know; "But you've been vaping 4 years why ain't you done damn learnt sumpthin'?" :p ) But watching these video's make me cringe, like very visibly squinch up. :confused::confused: I'm like everybody tells me how much money you save buy building your own coils... How the :censored: do you save money when you are throwing half the wire and cotton away? :yawn:

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    In curious what you would think of a car driving by playing loud death metal music. I myself would actually enjoy that. Others may not.

The music genre isn't the issue.
    The overmodulated bass thumping the car so hard that you hear the windows and body panels rattling turns the sound quality of ANY music to :censored:. If you want it that loud, at least adjust the EQ. If you're still getting window buzz, try dynamat

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Mound - Minnesota, USA
    Mine is the person on Facebook/discussion forms/in real life, that will state an outlandish view or opinion on a topic and when asked for a source or the material that lead them to the said conclusion or opinion, the provide only one facebook "News" story, that after a quick google search, turns out to be fake news. They haven't read anything else, nor will they. That one thing made up their mind and that is it.

And then to go over the top, most of them will just say that those that disagree, are stupid and don't know anything.

It happens with just about any topic and from all political leanings. :facepalm:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Mine is the person on Facebook/discussion forms/in real life, that will state an outlandish view or opinion on a topic and when asked for a source or the material that lead them to the said conclusion or opinion, the provide only one facebook "News" story, that after a quick google search, turns out to be fake news. They haven't read anything else, nor will they. That one thing made up their mind and that is it.

And then to go over the top, most of them will just say that those that disagree, are stupid and don't know anything.

It happens with just about any topic and from all political leanings. :facepalm:
    I :facepalm: at someone that posted a photoshop about "Airline Pilots doing a demonstration about they were refusing to continue to poison the populations via "chemtrails"". I provided the real picture (pilots doing a march about salary) and provided mutiple links about the whole "chemtrail" thing being a) nothing but one of those paranoia things, b) what those "lines" behinds planes are (humidity being cooled into a mist due to the air current around the wings), and yet, they insist that it's "true".

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    The music genre isn't the issue.
    The overmodulated bass thumping the car so hard that you hear the windows and body panels rattling turns the sound quality of ANY music to :censored:. If you want it that loud, at least adjust the EQ. If you're still getting window buzz, try dynamat

Some are so bad that I can't vape comfortable in my own car... the vibration that they create makes me almost drop my mod. :p

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    Mound - Minnesota, USA
    Okay strictly Vape related this time

Reviews that have really bad video (so you cannot see detail at all) and/or really bad audio, and I don't mean what Dean (Vaping Biker) is always trying to correct, no the really low or very distorted audio, making it so that you cannot understand what they are saying.

There are a ton of devices, RDAs, RDTAs, etc on the market now, and the big names cannot do a review for everything forcing those that want to learn more about the device to look to new reviewers. I have started following a lot of good guys that have maybe 100 views on their videos but nothing makes me stop a review quicker then bad video/audio.

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017

With me I found my sweet spot using 22G Kanthal wire. Therefore it is sometimes hard for me to not use some extra length for the wire in the hand that I'm doing the wraps with, being that the wire is less bendable than many others.

daviedog

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 2, 2013
    Florida
    With me I found my sweet spot using 22G Kanthal wire. Therefore it is sometimes hard for me to not use some extra length for the wire in the hand that I'm doing the wraps with, being that the wire is less bendable than many others.
    Roll the wire straight off the spool.
    Gripping the spool will increase torque & control..

Reactions: EIHYPI

EIHYPI

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 15, 2017
    Roll the wire straight off the spool.
    Gripping the spool will increase torque & control..
    I buy my wire from a vape shop (not online). None of the vape shops in my area sell wire by the spool. The best price that I get it for is $1 for a yard of wire, any wire or gauge that they carry. But your way would definitely be great if I had a spool.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread