Paint, just a powder coat, what IS the finish on colored Provaris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
Going post this just to answer the questions I've read in a number of threads where people wonder what the coating on the Provaris actually is. It's cerakote. Generally you could call it a 'powder coat' but that's not really accurate beyond a casual conversation.

If you're AR (____retentive [like me]), I'm not involved in the metal coating industry or anything but I think the closest actual "powder coating" is the ion bond sample, and that is .2mils thick. (if you google powder coating, that uses electrostatic application, cerakote is sprayed on so it's more accurately described as 'just a paint').

Try not to pay attention to the narrator's cheesy voice, it's pretty... cheesy. And always, take whatever you see with a grain of salt when you see a test.

Cerakote Taber Abrasion Test (ASTM D4060) - YouTube

At 3:13 there's a table showing the thickness in mils, of each coating, the test was on a .75mils cerakote sample. The coating thickness on the Provari is unknown, but maybe they'll answer that question monday morning. I understand if they don't, but regardless of thickness, I think it's pretty clear it's a better/tougher coating than any other commercial pv, atleast that I've seen. For 20$, you're getting your moneys' worth imho.

Yah it's just a paint ;)

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
Follow up since I got an email from Cecilia. So far, I've never seen service on weekend nights in any other industry, had a juice order process and ship saturday night... but i digress :)

Provaris recieve three coats of cerakote. Count em! One, two, five... err Three!

If you want to touch up a scratch, or clearcoat or even color a silver provari with the air-dry kit, that will not void your warranty.

As the units come to provari, they say the actual final cureing is not complete on the store shipped (baked) units for about 6-8 weeks.

For the air-dry, she said that that final cure isn't over for 30 days.

She recommends that until the cures are finally set (2months for retail, 30days for DIY air cure) to treat the units with care.

I've never heard of cure times that long, but I'll follow provape's recommendations.

Don Kaluminati

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I just tried searching but I swore I read somewhere on their site that it was a ceramic finish. At least on my, the satin black, mini....

Here it is I found it:

The ProVari™ Mini Base Model Includes:

• 1 ProVari Mini variable voltage electronic vaporizer in a satin black.
• 510 Atomizer Connection

The Satin Black coating is a durable ceramic finish that won't fingerprint.

Is ceramic considered a paint?

KuroCz

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2012
east coast
Another update from Cecilia, the cerakote finishes they use are tweaked from the 'off the shelf' colors from Cerakote, the provari colors have a bit more matte finish.

So that means If you used the air-dry to touch up a scratch, the repair would not color match perfectly. Depending on the size you'd have to decide to live with the character marks, use a sharpie on the black ones, or you could try to get color chips from Cerakote if you wanted to do a little repair or full recolor with the airdry products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread