Over clean your Prodigy? You might be sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Me, too. Thank you for your detailed input. Much appreciated. I also use Brasso occasionally on my Prodigy, what's your opinion on Brasso? Is it possible for the Brasso to hurt the delrin on the adapter?

I don't have any brasso so I can't speak to it. As far a oxidation of the brass, that can be corrected with an eraser very well. I haven't heard of any reaction with brasso and many have used it with success.

Krytox:

Is Krytox® compatible with aluminum?
There is no reactivity with aluminum at temperatures below 288°C (550°F), but is not recommended for use in equipment that has bearing surfaces made of aluminum.

DuPont?Lubricants FAQs - Krytox®

It doesn't sound like the ideal thing to use, but doesn't sound very harmful either - seems thin enough not to impede electrical connections.

I think I will stick with the Noalox.

Kevin

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Contact cleaning

This little brush with .0047" dia. fiberglass bristles works well for me.

Text from website:
The slim-line design of these brushes allows them to go where others won't. As bristles wear, simply turn the top of the handle to expose more bristle. Handle is plastic.
Brush dia. is 3/16". Overall bristle length is 1 1/4". Overall length is 4 1/2".

Keep the bristle extension short, hold the brush at 90º to the surface being cleaned and use light pressure.

McMaster-Carr

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Do the contacts on your switch ever look rusted? (for lack of a better word)

They do turn dark but I'm not sure if that is oxidation or not. Use an eraser on them to see if you can improve the conductivity. I remember Casey saying that they do not shine up bright like regular brass parts.

Kevin

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Have you ever used that product? One drop will spread over a mile. That grease gets all over the place and it is messy. Besides that it might be an insulator too.

Kevin

I've only used the Nickle version on my Prodigy adapter and end cap threads. It only takes a tiny amount-- that eight-oz bottle could last a regiment of vaporers for a decade.

I figured the Silver version might be better, but it would depend of course on the percentage of silver. It's the same price as the Nickle type so the content is probably low.

I spread a small amount on a paper towel and burnish it into the threads, then use a clean towel to wipe it down, leaving a film of anti-seize which is mostly in the troughs of the threads. It lubricates but doesn't seem to interfere with conductivity. So far, so good.

vinylmason

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Dayton ,Ohio
Nic juice cleans aluminum great,I cleaned my threads with alcohol until they looked clean then put a drop of juice on them and wiped it off and it was black so the alcohol was not cleaning it all off.Just tried it on some brass threads,cleaned them first with alcohol until I thought they were clean then put a drop of juice on a qtip and it turned black.so something in the juice is working great for getting the oxidation off your threads.

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Nic juice cleans aluminum great,I cleaned my threads with alcohol until they looked clean then put a drop of juice on them and wiped it off and it was black so the alcohol was not cleaning it all off.Just tried it on some brass threads,cleaned them first with alcohol until I thought they were clean then put a drop of juice on a qtip and it turned black.so something in the juice is working great for getting the oxidation off your threads.

The drawback to doing that is the nic juice is not a good conductor of electricity. It may clean oxidation better than alcohol but is a poor conductor. The Noalox is both a good oxidation cleaner, preventer, and conductor of electricity.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I forgot to mention that if you use the Noalox on the aluminum threads of your Prodigy it should last for a long time. It inhibits oxidation and should keep the electrical contact in good shape for a long time. That only leaves the atty connector as a regular clean item. All PV's or at least 510's have the problem of juice migrating down to the connector. I usually just use a dry q-tip and all is well.

Kevin

Brian S

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
I forgot to mention that if you use the Noalox on the aluminum threads of your Prodigy it should last for a long time. It inhibits oxidation and should keep the electrical contact in good shape for a long time. That only leaves the atty connector as a regular clean item. All PV's or at least 510's have the problem of juice migrating down to the connector. I usually just use a dry q-tip and all is well.

Kevin

I put a dab of vegetable oil on my threads a month ago and haven't had a problem since.

Brian

ceo51378

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Annapolis MD
A dry lubricant/metal conditioner like Militec-1 should also work very well on the threads. Just heat up the threads with a hair dryer, rub in the militec, let it cool, and buff dry. It molecularly bonds with the metal. It's great on SS, Aluminum, brass, etc. It will also make cleaning the threads easier down the road and prevent 'gunk' from building up on the surfaces.:thumb:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I believe in keeping it simple. Noalox lubricates, promotes electrical conductivity, and prevents oxidation. It is easy to apply and remove if necessary. Noalox is unique in the fact that it is a lubricant and promotes conductivity. Most all other oils and greases inhibit electrical conductivity. It is the only product I recommend for the Prodigy.

There many other choices to use to clean the brass contacts. The simplest is the old fashion eraser. I use DeoxIT on the contacts simply it is one of the best and I happen to already own it.

This cleaning process is simple and if done right will not have to be repeated very often.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread