Over clean your Prodigy? You might be sorry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Just thought I would pass on info about a mistake that is easy to make when cleaning your Prodigy. If you haven't noticed it is very important to keep all the threaded connections an well as switch contacts clean on a Prodigy and Protege. Cleaning should be done on a regular basis because every part of these PVs is also part of the electrical circuit that makes them work. The negative battery contact travels up the tube of the PV to make contact with the negative side of the atomizer. Any dirt and deposit will add electrical resistance to the circuit and reduce voltage at the atomizer.

The Prodigy has another issue that you need to know about. All metal parts of the prodigy tube are made of aluminum. This means that you have 2 aluminum to aluminum threaded connections. This is important to know because aluminum threaded connections will oxidize which means you will need to clean them a little differently. Aluminum threads tent to bind up and sieze if not lubricated.

I just got through making a mistake of cleaning my Prodigy too much. I reassembled the Prodigy after a squeeky cleaning. Later I remembered that I didn't apply anything to the threads. I tried to unscrew the adapter, it turned for several revolutions and stopped dead. It would not unscrew any further. I tried gently to move it in both directions but it wouldn't move very far without stopping. I thought it might be siezed up or worse the threads might be damaged. If this hapens to you do not attempt to force the movement any further. What I did was to set the Prodigy on it's nose (adapter down) and take a q-tip with lubricant on it, like WD-40, and apply a small amount to the top of the threaded connection so that it would seep into the threaded joint with a gravity assist. Soon after that the connector came right apart and disaster avoided. I used alcohol to remove all of the WD-40.

I recommend a product called Noalox to use as a lubricant on the aluminum threads of the Prodigy. Be careful if you use anything else becasue most lubricants like grease in most all forms and oils like WD-40 are insulators and will stop your Prodigy from working. There are some electrical contact cleaners that also have a lubricant but be caseful to avoid anything that might harm the delrin parts. Noalox is designed specifically to be used in applications like this.

I hope this helps someone.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Hmmm I do not see any way how this would harm it. But you are a lot more familiar with how these are made than I am based on your posts so I will not argue :)

I just can't recommend using something that might stop the Prodigy from working. There are many different brands and types of anti-sieze grease. Most of them are insulators and will stop the flow of electricity thus stop the prodigy from working. The tube of the Prodigy is the negative circuit of the battery. If you put anything on the threads of the tube that stops the flow of electricity you will stop the Prodigy from working.

Besides most anti-sieze grease is messy and will get all over you anytime you pick up the Prodigy. That stuff is hard to wash off too.

Kevin

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Nice post Kevin. A good warning about threads. Once stripped out, that's game over.

I don't have Noalox (can't seem to remember to go pick it up when I'm out) but did remember that I have some stuff for my pool/spa equipment. It is formulated with Dupont Krytox and says it is safe for metals, threads (gaskets and a whole bunch of other stuff and also says it prevents corrosion. Sold by Leslie's Pool supply). I just put a tiny bit on a couple of units and seems to work fine.

Prior to that I had been using a bit of the thick liquid dish soap. Wipe it in the threads, and remove most of it with a microfiber cloth. Seems to help a bunch.

Do you think that these are ok to use?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Nice post Kevin. A good warning about threads. Once stripped out, that's game over.

I don't have Noalox (can't seem to remember to go pick it up when I'm out) but did remember that I have some stuff for my pool/spa equipment. It is formulated with Dupont Krytox and says it is safe for metals, threads (gaskets and a whole bunch of other stuff and also says it prevents corrosion. Sold by Leslie's Pool supply). I just put a tiny bit on a couple of units and seems to work fine.

Prior to that I had been using a bit of the thick liquid dish soap. Wipe it in the threads, and remove most of it with a microfiber cloth. Seems to help a bunch.

Do you think that these are ok to use?

Hi Hellen,

I'm not familar with the Krytox so I don't really know. The soap is probably ok in small amounts. It should help lube the threads but I don't know about it's electrical properties. Microfiber is a wonderful invention.

Kevin

jennifergib7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
60 mi E of Lex, KY
www.facebook.com
I recommend a product called Noalox to use as a lubricant on the aluminum threads of the Prodigy. Be careful if you use anything else becasue most lubricants like grease in most all forms and oils like WD-40 are insulators and will stop your Prodigy from working. There are some electrical contact cleaners that also have a lubricant but be caseful to avoid anything that might harm the delrin parts. Noalox is designed specifically to be used in applications like this.

Kevin

Where can you pick this up and for about how much? thanks

jennifergib7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
60 mi E of Lex, KY
www.facebook.com
Cleaning should be done on a regular basis because every part of these PVs is also part of the electrical circuit that makes them work. The negative battery contact travels up the tube of the PV to make contact with the negative side of the atomizer. Any dirt and deposit will add electrical resistance to the circuit and reduce voltage at the atomizer.

I just got through making a mistake of cleaning my Prodigy too much. I reassembled the Prodigy after a squeeky cleaning.

Kevin

Also, what method of cleaning do you recommend? in detail please.......

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Where can you pick this up and for about how much? thanks

Here is one link to a supplier for Noalox.

Noalox Anti-Oxidant Compound (4 oz. Bottle) - 30026 - Measuring Tools - IDEAL Measuring Tools - TheNerds.net

There are more via Google search.

Also, what method of cleaning do you recommend? in detail please.......

What I do for regular maintenance is every other time I change the cart or top off I take off the atty and take a q-tip and swab out the atty connector on the PV adapter. When I am at home I usually dip the q-tip in alcohol and then turn the q-tip around and follow up with a dry swab. This is the most often needed area of maintenance. The nic juice will migrate out of the atomizer air holes and end up here quite often. Juice in this location will cause resistance and less voltage at the atomizer.

When I change batteries I will take a clean rag and wipe the threads on the cap and tube. On the Prodigy you may get some oxidation that will show up as black deposits on the rag. If you see a lot of black on the rag you probably need to do a more thorough cleaning. This can be done with a pencil eraser or a good electrical contact cleaner. I use a contact cleaner called "DeoxIT" which can be purchased at your local electronics supply store. After you finish cleaning the threaded connections you will need to apply a light amount of the noalox to the threads. A little bit goes a long way you do not want to use too much. The noalox prevents oxidation and prevents the threads from siezing.

About once per week you should do a thorough cleaning of all threaded connections and the switch end contacts. This is strickly up to the user. You can get by for a long time between cleaning if you want. When the connections get dirty and the performance starts to fall off you may want to do a full cleaning. If you haven't done a full cleaning in a while you will be rewarded by a great improvement in performance.

I don't recommend cleaning the atomizer connection with contact cleaner. This is a brass fitting and will not oxidize like the aluminum will. Usually q-tip and alcohol will suffice. Also liquid in this area may end up in the vaper you inhale. So alcohol, dry eraser, and dry swab is all that is needed here.

Now that I've put you to sleep you can wake up and go about your life.

All of this maintenance is purely optional. This beast will perform fairly well for quite a while with out it. My OCD makes me clean mine more often because the PV will always perform better if it is clean. I'm one who can't wait until the battery gets low to change it. I usually top off or change carts more than most. I'm all about performance.

Just remember that the entire PV is an electronic circuit. Any poor connection will cause resistance which will reduce the voltage that reaches the atomizer coil, which will determine how much vapor gets produced.

Kevin

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
Weird. Maybe the Prodigy is different. With my Protege, I clean the atty connection several time a day and have to clean the brass switch contacts, and end cap threads every 2 or 3 days or I notice a definite drop off in vapor.

Maybe I should try some Brasso on the switch contacts and some Noalox or equivalent for SS on the threads. Might leave a protective, but conductive coating that would keep 'em clean longer. Any thoughts?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Weird. Maybe the Prodigy is different. With my Protege, I clean the atty connection several time a day and have to clean the brass switch contacts, and end cap threads every 2 or 3 days or I notice a definite drop off in vapor.

Maybe I should try some Brasso on the switch contacts and some Noalox or equivalent for SS on the threads. Might leave a protective, but conductive coating that would keep 'em clean longer. Any thoughts?

Lotus, I'm not sure is the Noalox would help SS or not. With the Prodigy the main issue for the Noalox was the anti-galling & siezing because of the aluminum to aluminum threads.

I have noticed the same issues you mention with the Protege but haven't figured out why. With the Protege SS threads and the brass contacts the only thing that comes to mind is the vapor must be getting into the areas and leaving a deposit. It doesn't take much resistance for me to notice a difference in performance. I haven't had to do anything to my Protege for a while but I do keep the jiuce out of the atty connection. I don't overfil my carts but that juice seems to be able to sneak in there sometimes. When I do next clean my Protege I am going to use the DeoxIT on the contacts and threads to see if it will keep it clean longer. But you know OCD is a curse.

Kevin

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Krytox:

Is Krytox® compatible with aluminum?
There is no reactivity with aluminum at temperatures below 288°C (550°F), but is not recommended for use in equipment that has bearing surfaces made of aluminum.

DuPont?Lubricants FAQs - Krytox®

It doesn't sound like the ideal thing to use, but doesn't sound very harmful either - seems thin enough not to impede electrical connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread