• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ovarian Cancer Information and Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
So great to hear a survivor story.
When tomoxofin was still being tested my mother applied to be in the test group (she was denied because she'd had a hysterectomy and was therefore not eligible) But in the little education seminar they gave for her they said that EVERYONE including men are at risk for breast cancer and that EVERYONE could get it provided they live long enough etc.... So while some are more at risk than others EVERYONE should at least periodically get checked.
Self exams!! Mammos all that...early detection is the best defense and even if a lump you find happens to be benign...at least you got checked!! Ok now I jump off my soap box LOL

There is a lot of attention being paid to breast cancer. I think that's why there have been great strides made in treatment options, and survival rates overall. I participated in a Clinical trial after my diagnosis, and I'm glad I did. I only wish ovarian cancer would be publicized more. It is more difficult to detect early, and that's just one of the reasons the survival rate is lower than breast cancer. Mistakenly, many women believe that having regular Pap smears is prevention enough. But what they don't realize is a Pap smear is designed to detect cervical cancer, or uterine cancer. There is no screening test for ovarian cancer that I know of. I discovered this when I went through ovarian cancer myself. The only "test" I know of is a blood test that will detect ovarian cancer antibodies in the body, and that is after the cancer is already there. It's called CA125. While it is very effective as a "monitor", it is not usually performed unless the doctor has a suspicion of cancer already present. I can only hope that cancer research is making strides to change this!

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
There is a lot of attention being paid to breast cancer. I think that's why there have been great strides made in treatment options, and survival rates overall. I participated in a Clinical trial after my diagnosis, and I'm glad I did. I only wish ovarian cancer would be publicized more. It is more difficult to detect early, and that's just one of the reasons the survival rate is lower than breast cancer. Mistakenly, many women believe that having regular Pap smears is prevention enough. But what they don't realize is a Pap smear is designed to detect cervical cancer, or uterine cancer. There is no screening test for ovarian cancer that I know of. I discovered this when I went through ovarian cancer myself. The only "test" I know of is a blood test that will detect ovarian cancer antibodies in the body, and that is after the cancer is already there. It's called CA125. While it is very effective as a "monitor", it is not usually performed unless the doctor has a suspicion of cancer already present. I can only hope that cancer research is making strides to change this!

OMG!! Totally agree! I had no idea that a Pap didn't detect ovarian cancer.....and I consider myself at least somewhat aware of medical information (I'm studying to be a transcriptionist) Gotta ask my Doc about this. Ovarian cancer is not in my family but I have ovaries so I think I need to ask LOL at any rate Thanks for the education!!!!

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
YW. It's been a while since I did research on OvCa. My Gyn Oncologist stressed to me the importance of my immediate female family members to start getting tested at an early age. I’ve never had children of my own, but I’ve strongly suggested to all of my nieces how important it is to start getting tested every year.

The CA125 test isn't a standard test, and in many cases may not be covered by insurance. But since our family has a strong history of many types of cancer, some insurance companies will cover it. Mine did. I believe even Medicare will cover it too.

I think you can never have too much information where cancer is concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread