Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyPhoenix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Easton, PA
Dear Totally Wicked,

Call me a prude or whatever you like, but I find this commercial absolutely ridiculous and offensive. Look, I am a 41-year-old woman and I am SOOOO sick and tired of seeing women used as a sex object to sell a freakin' product! My gosh, can't any of these people think of something else? Think back on the most memorable commercials: the Budweiser frog, Geico Gecko, freecreditport.com band, LifeAlert's "I've fallen and I can't get up!" Here's a link for your ad guys, TW. Ads we can't get out of our heads - USATODAY.com

Maybe you'll notice they all have something in common. None of them are the cheesy sex sex sex penis blowjob phallic symbol nonsense. Can we keep a little class here? We're trying to make e-cigarettes legit. We don't need this kind of cheap advertising bringing it down to the gutter.

All I know is, I will never be ordering from Totally Wicked now and neither will any of my female friends.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Wow. Well, color me surprised.

I have the biggest "WTF?" look on my face ever. Mostly because I can't think of any 6-year-old I've ever known who is doing, or even considering, anything close to sex. Even if they did, there are the aforementioned anatomical limitations.

Not to be a smart ...., but, you've never worked in the mental health field. How about a 5 year old who was not only having sex with his pimp father's prostitutes, but his twin 2 year old sisters. I know for a fact there was no anatomical limitations.

What exactly is the point of doing that?

Although I don't really share their concerns that it will encourage first-graders to have sex. That part of their brain isn't "on" yet. Nothing could encourage them to have sex, realistically.

For 2 year olds, I would have to agree with your statement, but not for a 5 year old. Their brain is "on" and yes there is plenty to encourage them to have sex.
Mostly, it just strikes me as a bit absurd.

If you're talking about the video, as a woman, I found it to be ill-humored, sexist and stereotypical for both men and women. Not the kind of company that I would choose to do business with.

LadyPhoenix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Easton, PA
If you're talking about the video, as a woman, I found it to be ill-humored, sexist and stereotypical for both men and women. Not the kind of company that I would choose to do business with.

/enthusiastically agree

Among whites, 23.5 percent of men and 20.6 percent of women smoke (2008).
Among blacks, 25.6 percent of men and 17.8 percent of women smoke.
Among Hispanics, 20.7 percent of men and 10.7 percent of women smoke.

That's alot of potential future customers to alienate.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Humanity is a pretty diverse bunch. After all, there are nearly 7 billion of us.

I am sure there are 6-year-olds who are having sex and doing all manner of other screwed up things. But they don't represent the other 99% of 6-year-olds. And most of them are doing those things are a result of a screwed up adult, not because they were naturally inclined to.

In a child that young, yes, all the parts "work," but the desire for sex doesn't happen until puberty. Again, I'm aware there are exceptions to the rule. But it's a pretty consistent rule none the less.

Also, I fail to see how that's any different from the majority of media that's around. If you're going to boycott every company that's sexist, or racist, or otherwise intolerant in some way, then you're going to wind up living in the woods.

Obviously we do our best to avoid such companies, but at a certain point, you have to be realistic. In the case of TW, this (if that's how you took the ad) combined with their hit-or-miss track record is probably reason enough not to buy from them. But the ad in itself doesn't strike me as anything special, one way or the other.

And finally, where would you like to draw the line between sexism and freedom to express sexual appetite? It's obviously absurdly stereotypical - it's trying to be. It is SUPPOSED to be absurd. But maybe that just comes down to ones individual sense of humor.

Danyulc - Yeah, I guess I can see that. While uncommon, it's certainly nothing new or unheard of from pre-teens and early pubescents to be having sex. Kind of unfortunate and dangerous in the world we live in today, but it's always been that way.

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Humanity is a pretty diverse bunch. After all, there are nearly 7 billion of us.

I am sure there are 6-year-olds who are having sex and doing all manner of other screwed up things. But they don't represent the other 99% of 6-year-olds. And most of them are doing those things are a result of a screwed up adult, not because they were naturally inclined to.

Like all forms of human development, sexual development begins at birth. Sexual development includes not only the physical changes that occur as children grow, but also the sexual knowledge and beliefs they come to learn and the behaviors they show. Any given child’s sexual knowledge
and behavior is strongly influenced by:
The child’s age■■
1-3
What the child observes (including the ■■sexual behaviors of family and friends)4
What the child is taught (including cultural ■■and religious beliefs concerning sexuality and physical boundaries)

Heather Coleman, Phd & Grant Charles, Phd

"Young people do not wake up on their thirteenth birthday, somehow transformed into a sexual being overnight. Even young children are sexual in some form."

So, no, it's not screwed up children, it's children screwed up or not.

In a child that young, yes, all the parts "work," but the desire for sex doesn't happen until puberty. Again, I'm aware there are exceptions to the rule. But it's a pretty consistent rule none the less.

Not true.

Also, I fail to see how that's any different from the majority of media that's around. If you're going to boycott every company that's sexist, or racist, or otherwise intolerant in some way, then you're going to wind up living in the woods.

The point being, is if we did nothing to change what is intolerable, or racist, or sexist that is unacceptable. When MLK decided it was intolerable to treat not only blacks but people as second class citizens, a change was affected.

When laws changed regarding the rape of females, no longer could the arguement hold true that the female was asking for it.

And no, I'm not going to live in the woods. I'm going to fight and state my opinions on what is not acceptable and hopefully, add to making a change. Just because the majority is doing it, doesn't mean that it's ok.

Children emulate what the see - from family, friends, the media.

Obviously we do our best to avoid such companies, but at a certain point, you have to be realistic. In the case of TW, this (if that's how you took the ad) combined with their hit-or-miss track record is probably reason enough not to buy from them. But the ad in itself doesn't strike me as anything special, one way or the other.

And finally, where would you like to draw the line between sexism and freedom to express sexual appetite?

Here's where you draw the line:
Sexism is discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex. It is prejudicism based on sex. It is attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of gender.

Sexual appetite is sexual desire, an intense sexual feeling that one person has towards another.

Big difference between abuse and desire unless you're into BDSM or other things of that nature.

It's obviously absurdly stereotypical - it's trying to be. It is SUPPOSED to be absurd. But maybe that just comes down to ones individual sense of humor.

I find nothing humorous in the perpetuation of a stereotype that a man is defined by the size of his penis and a woman is defined by size 38DD breasts, 22" waist and judging a man by his penis size.

Danyulc - Yeah, I guess I can see that. While uncommon, it's certainly nothing new or unheard of from pre-teens and early pubescents to be having sex. Kind of unfortunate and dangerous in the world we live in today, but it's always been that way.

If you find it acceptable that the world we live in today is unfortunate and dangerous and that it's always been that way, then good for you.

I, on the other hand, believe that just because it's always been that way doesn't mean that it's right or that it should be accepted. A prime example is the Women's Sufferage. Without the changes that occured, women still would not be able to vote, further their education, work, drive a car, own a bank account or own their own home.

You and I would be home crocheting doilies.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
Wow. Well, color me surprised.

I have the biggest "WTF?" look on my face ever. Mostly because I can't think of any 6-year-old I've ever known who is doing, or even considering, anything close to sex. Even if they did, there are the aforementioned anatomical limitations.

What exactly is the point of doing that?

Although I don't really share their concerns that it will encourage first-graders to have sex. That part of their brain isn't "on" yet. Nothing could encourage them to have sex, realistically.

Mostly, it just strikes me as a bit absurd.

Now now, lets not go making blanket statements like that. I'll just say when I was, I did, and it worked just fine. ^_^ And I turned out juuuust....oh god...

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
316lvm - As I mentioned earlier, sexual curiosity is common in young children, and, without this getting too weird, children are capable of feeling pleasure. But they don't typically associate either one with sexual feelings, or desire to have sex. It's curiosity, or feeling nice. Not sexual desire.

The rest of this really does come down to ones sense of humor and, as iamdougm pointed out, ones desire to be offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread