Old school reo ohm limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
sierra nevada foothills, ca
wondering what the lowest safe ohms is for an original nonupgraded reo grand? Mine will be arriving today along with an rm2 and I want to make sure I’m not melting the button or anything. I do have a heavy duty firing contact and new spring inbound but couldnt afford the new button and adjustable 510 connector yet. Hopefully the contact will fit the original 510 connector. In any case any info would be greatly appreciated. It’s been a long while since I’ve had a reo and somehow I managed to find one that’s 7-8 years old and barely used. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not lol. Much love reonauts.

Reactions: stols001

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Welcome and I do so hope you can get this Old Soldier fixed.
I will do my best to get it in my rotation. Who am I kidding it’ll be the only thing I use once it’s working right lol. Just want to make sure I don’t melt it down before I get the parts in hand.

basementcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Argh of course I receive it with a collapsed spring and a melted button. Just my luck. Seems someone didn’t know how to build a coil or surpassed the limit long before I received it. Guy claims he bought it 7-8 years ago and only used it a few times. Didn’t like it and put it away. Looks like I won’t be running a reo for a bit. Until new parts arrive.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The gating factor on ohm limit is likely to be the RM2, rather than the REO itself unless you mod the cap. With a single tiny air hole, I would only go nominally subohm (~.8ohm). The cap is quite easy to work with, tho, and most any drill bit (even manipulated by hand) could ream the hole larger.

As for the mod (with OG workings), I'd worry about collapsing/melting below .4ohm or so. Never had a problem at .5ohm with daily use.

With new contacts and button, I've gone .2 for a period (with a larger, airier dual coil atty).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread