Not open for further replies.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Yup, he's another James Dean.

I wish......he was really good looking. Me, not so much!

Today I used cotton bacon for the first time and the taste and vapor is very good. It's also the easiest cotton to make a wick. Fluffy, pulls apart, and twists with little effort. So far so good.

I'm glad you like it. Since I really have nothing to compare it to, I've been very pleased with it.

The Russian 91% arrived! I cleaned all the parts in soap and water to remove the free dust Peter included and make sure there's no machining oil anywhere. I had to really tighten down the bottom pin, otherwise the build deck wasn't secure. In order to get the deck secure, the bottom pin is recessed a tad. Since I'm going to build a coil next, I don't know if having the pin recessed is an issue or not?

Can anyone with a Russian 91% comment on this? Of course I guess I'll know soon enough when I build a coil and get her primed and ready for vaping.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
The Russian 91% arrived! I cleaned all the parts in soap and water to remove the free dust Peter included and make sure there's no machining oil anywhere. I had to really tighten down the bottom pin, otherwise the build deck wasn't secure. In order to get the deck secure, the bottom pin is recessed a tad. Since I'm going to build a coil next, I don't know if having the pin recessed is an issue or not?

Can anyone with a Russian 91% comment on this? Of course I guess I'll know soon enough when I build a coil and get her primed and ready for vaping.

I always turned the contact pin out to sit the atty flush with minor pressure.
Don't turn it out enough to squash it, just enough to make contact when the atty is tightened

Those threads are tiny & fragile.
It's good steel compared to a KFL clone but tiny threads won't take any abuse :2c:

Reactions: Pinggolfer

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
How did you accomplish that? If I turn the contact pin (the bottom screw) out a bit, the build deck will be lose?

Remove the tiny contact pin.
Tighten the deck using the inner "post".
Screw the pin back into the post just enough so it makes contact with the firing pin on the mod.
It usually took me 1 or 2 pin "adjustments" to get it exactly right.
vape, repeat...

Reactions: NeoGoldenBoy

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Here's a diagram from Reddit

18 is the post that holds the build deck in place
19 is the adjustable contact pin

9i5icg.jpg

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Mods will just give you a warning for that unless you have a history.

Or they don't know you. The point seems to be not turning the threads into commercial ventures. Classy also told me not to posts links to items for sale in the classifieds, since it's considered promoting. Posting there is a great deal on xxx in the classifieds is okay, just not a link.

Last edited:

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
How did you accomplish that? If I turn the contact pin (the bottom screw) out a bit, the build deck will be lose?

I got it. When I took it apart the first time, the entire pin (including the tiny pin screw) came out. I removed the tiny pin screw, tightened the build deck and then put the tiny screw back in and I see it is completely adjustable.

Thanks so much for helping. I also watched a quick video to see how it really works, which helped too.

Now, to build a coil and get this thing vaping!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

When I'm screwing the contact pin, I hold the the two deck posts tight with needle nose pliers while I turn the screw, so they stay straight. That works with just about every RBA.

karlmetz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2014
NW Florida
I wish......he was really good looking. Me, not so much!

I'm glad you like it. Since I really have nothing to compare it to, I've been very pleased with it.

RB, the pin must make contact with the positive post of the Provari...it is adjustable by unthreading it...take it out and look beneath it to see the post that holds the block to the base...it also has a screw slot so that you can tighten the block with it...then reinsert the screw, leaving it at a point that it will make contact with the positive pin of the Provari. Sorry, redundant post. :(

Last edited:

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Et Voila........The Russian 91% is in service. I put a 1.6 ohm coil on and had to fiddle with that contact pin a bit to get the contact right, but now that I understand how it works, it should be eazey-peazey from here on out.

Here are my thoughts on the this RBA:

Here's the only bad:
It's a bit fussier because of the center pin being so easily adjusted

Here's the good:
It's just as impeccably manufactured as the KFL+
And I really like the sand blasted finish, which is especially nice on the P3 (a tad darker, but mighty nice looking)
The air hole adjustment is on the side, not bottom, so you can adjust air flow without removing from your Mod

And the great:
This thing vapes GREAT!
It's much quieter than the KFLA+ (KFL's notoriously whistle - The Russian Does Not)
The flavor with my new juice is Beyond OUTSTANDING

All in all, I'm really pleased. And here's the requisite picture! Oh and THANK YOU SO MUCH PETER!!!!!!!
345ed262904f62aa5d166d15a68d07b2.jpg

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
C'mon.. again at least 4 pages.....
All I can say is that VapeEscape is working on my device. Should get some info tomorrow or so..

Cheers,
R

I dread the next morning and seeing I'm pages behind. Since RB is now the go to guy for atty and cotton use the posts have increased.

Good news on your P3 update.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
Better then the KFL?

I'm going to reserve judgment on that, but my initial reaction is it's pretty darn fantastic! I do really really like how much quieter it is. I had watched the PB video comparing the KFL+ to the Russian 91% and it's one of the things he commented on. It's nice to have two very similar RBA's that both vape great!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
We didn't visit Wake Forest, but we did go to Chapel Hill... :)
Wake Forest isn't in Wake Forest anymore. Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem. Has been since 1957. So you went to UNC. Did you look at NC State while here? Duke is super expensive.

Reactions: Pinggolfer

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
So sounds like cotton bacon is worth buying. The KGD has other uses, so no loss there :)

RB, how long until you build a sub ohm coil and report out on the P3's new capability? Don't bother sayin' "never," cuz your track record with coils suggests otherwise :D

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
So sounds like cotton bacon is worth buying. The KGD has other uses, so no loss there :)

RB, how long until you build a sub ohm coil and report out on the P3's new capability? Don't bother sayin' "never," cuz your track record with coils suggests otherwise :D

LOL LB!! I certainly won't say 'never' as you're completely right. Sir Rod's been doing a lot of things he said he'd 'never' be-a-doin.' But I don't honestly know why I need to go sub-ohm? The vape on both the KFL+ and Russian 91 are so terrific that I don't think I'm missing anything by not sub-ohm'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread