NYC Ban on flavored ecigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaize19

Sep 4, 2014
USA
This is happening TODAY in NYC! City Council will introduce and read a bill banning the sale of flavored ecigs. Haven't heard from CASAA on this yet. Hopefully the city council won't entertain it. It's pretty far down the docket.

128db40a26e4f798d109ef8ab1cc875c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TheProphet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
Benbrook, TX, USA

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Does this cover juices, or just cigalikes?

It says "flavored electronic cigarettes," so, whether intentional or not, the language of the proposed ordinance excludes anything that's not a cigalike. But then, the busybody local politicians who write these things typically do so from a position of abject, stupefying ignorance, totally unaware that "electronic cigarettes" are not a monolithic product class in which every device looks and works exactly the same.

What's more, how many flavored cigalikes are even sold at retail outlets? The brands that are most widely available at convenience stores and gas stations don't even come in flavors (except for Blu, I guess), so I wonder what Councilman Constantinides thinks this ordinance is actually going to do.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
It says "flavored electronic cigarettes," so, whether intentional or not, the language of the proposed ordinance excludes anything that's not a cigalike. But then, the busybody local politicians who write these things typically do so from a position of abject, stupefying ignorance, totally unaware that "electronic cigarettes" are not a monolithic product class in which every device looks and works exactly the same.

What's more, how many flavored cigalikes are even sold at retail outlets? The brands that are most widely available at convenience stores and gas stations don't even come in flavors (except for Blu, I guess), so I wonder what Councilman Constantinides thinks this ordinance is actually going to do.

Obviously, it will save the children. Hallelujah.

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA

That's what I was thinking.
I believe the esteemed councilman thinks he's covered more bases than he has.
Thank heaven for imprecise legislative wording!

Blaize19

Sep 4, 2014
USA
That's what I wonder. The juice is a different component from the actual e-cig. My MVP2 is not a flavored e-cig. Nor is my Nemmy clone. The juice is flavored, but that is not specified in this legislation as far as I've read. I see it impacting these types of tings though: https://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-16644-beamer-e-hooka-nicotine-free-ehookah.html
according to the owner I mentioned above it's purely for the juices that relate to vaping, no effect on hookah, or anything else . Again, he was there today.

Blaize19

Sep 4, 2014
USA

Yep. They mean our juice. And there is a brand of cigalikes sold here at 7-11 and such that does come in a plethora of flavors and could potentially, by somebody, seem candy wrapper like in the appearance of the packaging. Of course, this device and juice is manufactured by one of the big t companies...

Blaize19

Sep 4, 2014
USA
That's what I was thinking.
I believe the esteemed councilman thinks he's covered more bases than he has.
Thank heaven for imprecise legislative wording!
Yes. It will pass, but will then be tied up in court for a while due to the language, again according to the owner of the B&M I go to, who was at City Hall today.

Big Dewey

Sep 1, 2014
Georgetown, ky
Again this is something no one should stand for. Pipe tobacco is flavored and so are cigars. This stuff need to stop.
Fight for your rights. Don't stand still and think everything will be okay. That is the biggest problem today, everyone thinks someone will take care of it for you.
If you don't stand up and fight for what you believe in, then the battle has already been lost.

Augmented Dog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Juices, whether cigalike or bottled. They will only allow tobacco and menthol flavors to be sold in NYC. Owner of my B&M was there today when they read the proposed measure into the record.

It just becomes more and more absurd.
They ought to have impressed upon them that by taking this course, the only thing they will accomplish is to send many vapers back to smoking.

Received a coupon from RJ Reynolds recently for a free "Vuse" starter kit - their new cigalikes. Had no interest in using the product, but as it was free, I thought I'd spend their money to see what it was like.
Tastes like an ashtray.
I'll empty my bank account to stock up on my preferred juices and new devices before I go back to tobacco.
Big Tobacco seems to be the strongest supporters of all of these anti-Vaping regs. They want our money; they do not care about our lives.

Last edited:

Blaize19

Sep 4, 2014
USA
It doesn't matter if this only applies to cigalikes, it sets a horrible precedent, and it's incredibly easy for them to alter/add to an existing law so this needs to be stopped before it passes. Anyone in NYC able to attend?
It was only introduced today. There will have to be open hearings/forums the public can attend and speak at. I'll try to keep people posted, as one of the employees of the B&M and I are planning to organize local vapers to attend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread