Status
Not open for further replies.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
History - when I first signed up, I adjusted my General Settings for Default Thread Subscription Mode to "through my control panel only" ...and that worked beautifully until somehow or another it got switched to "email". (I did receive emails and then came back and changed it back to 'control panel only').

I now see I have received quite a few replies, but haven't received any notifications at all (control panel or email). So I logged off, and deleted my entire cache and all related cookies - signed back on, made post that got replies...but no notifications of any kind.

Then I thought - hmmm, yep, my hubby is signed onto the same account on HIS computer - so I had him log off and then clear his cache and his cookies (and told him it would probably be best if he created a separate account for himself). He has not visited the forum or logged on again (and won't until we resolve this).

After his computer was cleared, I changed my settings to 'notifications via email', hit save, logged off, and again deleted my cache and cookies...logged back on, changed the setting back to 'control panel only' and hit save. Made another post, more replies/posts in the thread - still no notifications (but did have a few "likes" show up as notifications).

So I'm stuck and need some help.

I'm running WinXP (totally updated), using Firefox as the browser, and the skin is ECF-1 (I've been able to successfully change the skins, but went back to the original thinking that might make a difference somehow).

Thanks in advance! (I can't stand being rude by not saying 'thank you' or responding :)

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Choosing the notification to be in the control panel means that you will need to click the "Settings" link at the top of the page. When you do this, your thread subscriptions will be listed that have new posts after the last time you visited that thread. Any forum subscriptions will be listed regardless if new posts, but will be highlighted if there are any new posts.

I hope this helps! :)

Sonic

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Thank you for your fast response and understandable explanation - I truly appreciate it!

I'm thinking that perhaps I didn't make myself clear (or perhaps my version of 'clear' is confused!).

It seems to me that when I first joined, that when someone posted in my subscribed threads, that when I refreshed the page (or clicked on another forum) that the 'Notifications' link (to the immediate right of my user ID) had some sort of highlight or number that notified me of something (either a 'like' or that someone had responded)...and then I clicked on the 'Notifications' link, and I was shown exactly what was 'notified'. But now that isn't happening.

Perhaps the image below will assist us (taken from my 'Settings'). Under the last column (Notifications) the last three on the list (which were the earliest I see) have the word "Instant" in the box...as if I'd been notified instantly. But all the others under 'Notification' have the word "None"...as if I hadn't been notified at all.

ecigforum.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjgwezignjlacut/ecigforum.jpg

I am going to change my settings to 'instant email notifications' and go start a threat I'm thinking a few folks will reply to instantly...and see if I'm getting the email notifications (and also see what the Settings page shows). If that works, I'll change my settings back to 'control panel' and see what happens if there's any further responses.

Any clues as to what may be happening? Or is what's happening that I'm not understanding? :)

P.S. (As I preview this, I see my picture isn't loading/showing, although it's a valid link - so if it's not showing please let me know (and let me know what I've done incorrectly). Thank you.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
In order for your screenshot to show as a picture instead of a link you need to use the image tags by either clicking "insert image" on the toolbar or manually inserting the tags. It appears that the forum doesn't support dropbox linking, so try IMGUR or one of the other free image hosting services

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Thank you for your fast response and understandable explanation - I truly appreciate it!

I'm thinking that perhaps I didn't make myself clear (or perhaps my version of 'clear' is confused!).

It seems to me that when I first joined, that when someone posted in my subscribed threads, that when I refreshed the page (or clicked on another forum) that the 'Notifications' link (to the immediate right of my user ID) had some sort of highlight or number that notified me of something (either a 'like' or that someone had responded)...and then I clicked on the 'Notifications' link, and I was shown exactly what was 'notified'. But now that isn't happening.

Perhaps the image below will assist us (taken from my 'Settings'). Under the last column (Notifications) the last three on the list (which were the earliest I see) have the word "Instant" in the box...as if I'd been notified instantly. But all the others under 'Notification' have the word "None"...as if I hadn't been notified at all.

ecigforum.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjgwezignjlacut/ecigforum.jpg

I am going to change my settings to 'instant email notifications' and go start a threat I'm thinking a few folks will reply to instantly...and see if I'm getting the email notifications (and also see what the Settings page shows). If that works, I'll change my settings back to 'control panel' and see what happens if there's any further responses.

Any clues as to what may be happening? Or is what's happening that I'm not understanding? :)

P.S. (As I preview this, I see my picture isn't loading/showing, although it's a valid link - so if it's not showing please let me know (and let me know what I've done incorrectly). Thank you.

The Notifications link at the top will only highlight for you if you have a PM or "Like".

The word "Instant" you see in your subscription list (from the image you linked above) refers to the setting of an email the instant there is an update for the day (other choices are Control Panel only, daily email, weekly email). CP only means you will see the subscriptions in your CP (settings link) as Oldsoldier & I have explained.

I hope this helps :)

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
In order for your screenshot to show as a picture instead of a link you need to use the image tags by either clicking "insert image" on the toolbar or manually inserting the tags. It appears that the forum doesn't support dropbox linking, so try IMGUR or one of the other free image hosting services

Thank you for your reply & explanation (I understand now :) Question: I read that once I become a 'supporting member', I'd get extra space for uploading images (which means I have some amount of space now). Initially I looked all over trying to find how to simply upload that image - but couldn't find it anywhere. Could you please provide a link to where we can upload images? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread