Noob Town and Scary Warning from Rolygate....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hounds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2012
WV
Hi All,

OK, I've been vaping a little over a year with the following set-up:

• ProVari PV
  • Pyrex XL tanks
  • 1.7ohm and 2.0ohm cartomizers

I'd like to start tinkering with rebuildable atomizers and was on the verge of pulling the trigger on the AGA Tiamat Plus when I saw Rolygate's warning. If you're not familiar with it, it's as follows:

Please note very carefully that rebuildable atomizer coils and wicks have known risks.
Rebuildables are for experts, not average or beginner vapers with no multimeter or knowledge of how to use a meter, or when a meter must be used, or how electronic devices work. These materials cannot safely be used by the inexperienced or those without basic knowledge of electronics.
This is because:
1. A rebuildable coil/wick MUST be tested carefully with a meter before it is used.
2. If it is not tested it may damage the device it is used on.
3. Faulty wicks/coils WILL blow electronic devices.
4. New coil/wick units must be tested and then used first on a strong basic electrical APV such as a Silver Bullet, that will not be destroyed by a short circuit.
5. No new coil/wick assembly should be used on an electronic device until known to be safe.
6. These items destroy electronic devices if faulty. This is a known issue.
7. These items have inherent risks and may go faulty at any time even if they were originally in good working order. The owner bears the cost of equipment damaged as a result.
8. RAs or RTAs must only be used on equipment that cannot be seriously damaged or harm the user. In practice this could mean an electrical device with a hot spring (fuse) or an electronic device that will not activate if there is a short-circuit (a dead short). Unfused devices or unprotected electronic devices will suffer damage when used with a faulty RA or RTA.

The above warning worries me. I do not have basic knowledge of electronic devices; nor do I know how to use a meter. Is this a deal-breaker? I should be able to educate myself online easily enough, right? The whole safety issue only has to do with frying your PV, correct? I use ProVaris. Shouldn't they automatically shut off if something is done wrong and their safety features are working properly?

Also, are there rebuildables that are easier to work with than others? Is the AGA Tiamat a decent first purchase for a complete noob?

As always, all feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated! :evil:

chrisjamez

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
Chattanooga
I would buy a simple mechanical mod like a telescope (which is what I have) that has vent holes. I did not use a multimeter but watching enough youtube videos you can see how to properly set these up. Once you do, you will find it hard to go back to cartos (I have anyways). You can either buy a "kick" which allows wattage control in your mechanical device or a short stop. This add a layer of protection from over heating and causing damage etc. Once the RBA is built, you can check the ohms on your provari (i think, i have a zmax). After you use it on your mechanical and break it in, check your ohms periodically and if it stays the same, I would say you are safe to port it over and use on provari.

chrisjamez

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2012
Chattanooga
Also, the AGA T is the same type of setup as the Gensis DuD that I have. The setup is not too bad. It took me a few tries to get it right but after I did I could tell. Remember at first especially to sort of keep it 90 degrees when vaping while breaking in the new wick/wire.

I have pruchsed a few already oxidized wicks from litecigusa.net and they worked just fine. I have since started making my own from 400SS. Litecig is an option though for you as you are new to this.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
that warning is more to keep lawyers from pounding on the door if you blow your face off, you have a provari so you check your coils with it ifrst if there is a short the PV wont even fire it.
I would in no way recommend using a mech mod for someone who is inexperienced in rba's unless using a 2cent fuse or protected batteries, unlike a provari or vamo or something similar a mech has no internal cutoff if you do something wrong. and you would never know it is shorting out unless you have previous experience in what to look out for.

Also, are there rebuildables that are easier to work with than others? Is the AGA Tiamat a decent first purchase for a complete noob?

this is a genesis RBA, there are silica wick based RBA's like the phoenix clones but the same warnings hold true for them.
the aga is a pretty good cheapo to figure out if you like genesis style. there are others as well.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Personally, I would try other devices and accessories before jumping in with both feet into rebuildables anyway. If youre making the switch directly from cartos like someone else suggested youre missing out on a TON of juice delivery systems that may work better for you and fit your style of vaping better.

I see this a lot with people buying ViVi Novas, then successfully rebuilding them and moving directly on to RBAS without ever giving carto tanks or other clearos like the Kanger T3 a try.

I tried rebuildables and decided I didnt like the fiddliness and ended up going back to my pyrex carto tanks which I find superior to clearomizers in flavor and vapor production. Your mileage may vary but nothing beats trying everything out to get a better handle on what works for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread