Nicotine and low blood pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
When I smoked (3 packs a day) my blood pressure and heart rate fluctuated from lowish normal to borderline high. depending on how much I was smoking. Knowing that nicotine raises BP and HR, I accepted it as my normal.

I was curious to see the change after vaping for a while, and have been a bit surprised to see a range of BP 90/56 HR 56 to BP 106/78 HR 80, with lower numbers being more frequent. I didn't expect the numbers to go that low since I'm still exposing myself to nicotine.

Googling came up with something I wasn't aware of, that low levels of nicotine can have a reverse effect and actually lower BP, cause dizziness and heart palpitations. The information came from Health.LearningInfo_Org, and I haven't seen it elsewhere yet. This isn't a site whose information I would trust as gospel without verification. Does anyone know anything about this? There are health risks associated with hypotension, so if this is correct it's something we need to be aware of.

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
I have periodic hypotension - failed a Tilt Test pretty badly. Also Orthostatic Hypotension (stand up dizzies)

Haven't noticed any increase in the dizzies, but then again I've been vaping 18-36mg's

I do find I'm still out of breath though. When I was just using nicorette, my breathing capacity was much better. Now I feel like a heavy analog smoker - stairs are killer.

I do vape pretty non-stop though. I'm hoping that will quiet down a bit. Only 2 days smoke free after 2 months of vaping.

hanover fist

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2009
Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, it raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstrictor, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.

Nicotine has been speculated to increase the risk of blood clots by increasing plasminogen activator inhibitor-1, though this has not been proven. Plasma fibrinogen levels are elevated in smokers and are further elevated during acute COPD exacerbation. Also, Factor XIII, which stabilizes fibrin clots, is increased in smokers. But neither of the two previous effects have been shown yet to be caused by nicotine, [2] If blood clots in an artery, blood flow is reduced or halted, and tissue loses its source of oxygen and nutrients and dies in minutes.

Peripheral circulation, arteries going to the extremities, are also highly susceptible to the vasoconstrictor effects of nicotine as well as the increased risk of clots and clogging.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread