Newbie with Information Overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelvis

Feb 25, 2011
Tennessee
I'm ready to give e-cigs a try in an effort to get reduce/eliminate my 1-1/2 a day Marlboro Ultra-light habit. I've been reading the forums for a while and it seems like just when I'm ready to pull the trigger on something, I get pulled in a different direction or put-off a little.

My first inclination was to try a Vcigs starter kit. Then I kept reading numerous statements about how terrible their customer service is. Then, I became enamored with the Bloog and decided to try their mini PCC starter kit only to find out it's not in stock. I then tried to call them with no success and even sent them a polite inquiry e-mail several days ago and they've yet to bother responding. So, I'm thinking they really don't want my business and if I have diffculties with an order, etc. they'll be difficult to deal with (does any vendor in this business have even marginally responsive customer service???)

So, then I thought well the KR808D-1 battery seems like a pretty good and well-tested device so why not give that a try. It looks like I can get a kit and accessories pretty cheaply at a place called "Litecigusa." Then I read that perhaps a better option would be a KR808D-2 based kit (upgraded 808D-1???). Apparently, this is more or less the same thing as the Bloog (I think) and piece a kit together from a vendor called AZSmokeFree.

Do you veterans think this is a good idea? As you can tell from the title of this post, I'm torn in several directions and just not sure what to do. My general objectives revolve around this:

*I'd like to keep the initial investment low since I don't know if I'll even like these things;
*For starters, I'd like something that psychologically at least sort of mimics smoking so I'd like an automatic battery that with the cart is somewhat analog-sized. The mini battery is appealing but, I'll move up a size if they're not practical;
*I'm happy to re-fill cartridges and what not, but ideally I don't want to make this a freaking hobby.

Given all this, if someone can help distill my thinking and offer any guidance it would be greatly appreciated. For instance, is the KR808D-2 indeed a better model than the KR808D-1? Again, I'm just confused, but really want to give this a try and get started on the right foot so to speak.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
My advice...

Don't get a KR808D-2 because they are not very common.
Don't be afraid of refilling yourself, because it is easy and WAY cheaper.
Make sure you get one manual battery, because automatic batteries are a serious challenge to get working right.

I would never recommend an automatic battery to a new user.
You might hate it so much you'll give up on electronic cigarettes.

If you get it to work, great, but chances are you will struggle much more with an automatic.

After you learn how to use an electronic cigarette you can get one if you still want.
But even if you want to start with automatics, get one manual battery too, with your first order.

Last edited:
I second that about the auto batteries. You can't believe how fast you will love the manual and it'll be second nature.

If I were you I'd get a starter kit from vapor4life.com -- they have a subforum here.

Since you're inclined to get a KR808.

Pick some good flavors to go with it and get some small juices to try out. Their "Wow" line of flavors is very, very good.

Their customer service is very good as well and they ship fast.

At some point you might want to get a bigger, faster vape device but the KR808 is a fine place to start.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
*I'd like to keep the initial investment low since I don't know if I'll even like these things;

You can get a kr808d-1 (forget about d-2) for not too much money and it's a favorite around here, people love them - but for battery life you'll want to add a charging case if you go this route.

*For starters, I'd like something that psychologically at least sort of mimics smoking so I'd like an automatic battery that with the cart is somewhat analog-sized. The mini battery is appealing but, I'll move up a size if they're not practical;

It's one thing to have it seem like a cigarette when you look at it, but as one vaper put it "I'm going to smoke it with my mouth, not my eyes". Or in other words, if you want it to ACT like a cigarette get a big battery, manual button e-cig - if you want it to LOOK like a cigarette don't expect too much in the area of functionality.

*I'm happy to re-fill cartridges and what not, but ideally I don't want to make this a freaking hobby.

Maybe you'd like this one: I know that it doesn't LOOK like what you were hoping for, but it's the least amount of hassle out there for a newbie to have to deal with and the battery lasts 6-8 hours or so between charges (fwiw, that's about double what the small battery ones last - including all the ones you were looking at):
Joye eGo T - Tankomizer - Black
YouTube - eGo-T Tank System Review

good luck! :)

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I personally don't have a kit from V4L but my mother does and she loves it. I have to say, it's an EXCELLENT company to deal with. CS is great. She really loves hers. It's great looking, and the XL batteries really do last a long time. She has manual and automatic batteries and she happens to prefer the automatic. I personally would recommend the manual battery though- better TH and you need to be careful with the automatic battery. It's just a question of what you like. Also, if you sign up for a newsletter, they have super sales! I got my mom's kit when they had a 30% off sale and you can't beat the price. There are other KR808's out there, but for the price of some of them, you could get a mod.

I'm not overly fond of their juices, but again that's personal opinion. Many people really love them.

If you don't care about how it looks, I love my ego. Easy to use, easy to fill and great vaping. I got mine at Liberty Flights. Another great company. You could get a starter kit for around $30. If you like it, there are tons of accessories and add-ons available.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I'm so happy your mom is still enjoying her KR8! I remember when you were trying to decide, and you did really well for her. :)

I personally don't have a kit from V4L but my mother does and she loves it. I have to say, it's an EXCELLENT company to deal with. CS is great. She really loves hers. It's great looking, and the XL batteries really do last a long time. She has manual and automatic batteries and she happens to prefer the automatic. I personally would recommend the manual battery though- better TH and you need to be careful with the automatic battery. It's just a question of what you like. Also, if you sign up for a newsletter, they have super sales! I got my mom's kit when they had a 30% off sale and you can't beat the price. There are other KR808's out there, but for the price of some of them, you could get a mod.

I'm not overly fond of their juices, but again that's personal opinion. Many people really love them.

If you don't care about how it looks, I love my ego. Easy to use, easy to fill and great vaping. I got mine at Liberty Flights. Another great company. You could get a starter kit for around $30. If you like it, there are tons of accessories and add-ons available.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
A good starter kit, some good flavors nicotine juice samples, will run you about the price
of a carton, maybe two of smokes. If it allows you to not smoke, it's worth the gamble,
and the odds are in your favor,

*For starters, I'd like something that psychologically at least sort of mimics smoking .......
I'll move up a size if they're not practical;

You're not going to be smoking, and unfortunately the current battery technology just
is not good enough for a cigarette size to be practicable.
If you had to recharge your cigarette lighter ever 2 hours to be able to smoke, the
frustration would almost worse than cold turkey. A reliable battery that lasts at least
1/2 a days worth is just necessity to keep your sanity. IMO

There's a learning curve, at first re-filling cartridges, cartomizers or tanks you're going to have
to actually think about what you're doing. After a while it's like tying your shoes, you just do it.
The hobbyists around here will build their own e-cigs, make their own juice, etc but it's not
required. Some people build their own computers, cars, grow their own food, but it's because
it is their hobby. :)

p.s. If you want to not smoke any longer these crazy things actually do work!!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Vapor4Life.com - KR808D-1 in colors

Find plain KR808D-1 at Vaporleaf.com, LiteCigUSA.net and elsewhere

I like manual batteries. Less work IMO, more consistent hits, safer from juice leaks, simpler mechanism, won't accidentally turn on from wind or vibration

And whatever you get, buy some juice along with it. Despite what ripoff-priced "name" brands on the web claim, a cartomizer does not last as long as a pack of cigarettes. However, if you keep it damp and don't run it dry (which can singe the stuffing and ruin it) a cartomizer can last for days or longer.

Last edited:

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky

heatherina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2010
Ohio
I just started using ecigs and after much research decided to go with V4L and am very happy and their customer service is excellent. I learned quickly that although the shorties are very cigarette like in size that the xls battery life is far superior and not that much bigger. To each their own though. Their diamond autos are excellent. I am also interested in trying Bloog.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I'm so happy your mom is still enjoying her KR8! I remember when you were trying to decide, and you did really well for her. :)

Enjoying it? She has like 5 now! Loves it, she's like a walking commercial. She's waiting for her pink bedazzled one to arrive. :laugh:

She told her doctor all about it, and he's thrilled that she's vaping. He actually said he's going to recommend it to his die hard patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread