kanger or v4l batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
I was looking at a starter kit from evcigarettes by kanger that comes with 2 manual 280 mAh batts for 41.95, check it out, KR808D-1 Starter Kit by Kanger - Evcigarettes.com
The same kit, I think, less the 2 bottles of juice for 45.95, KR808D-1 2 piece e-Cigarette starter kits
or a starter kit from v4l which would cost me 65 to 70 bucks.
I have no idea who makes v4l batteries or kanger, for all I know they are identical. However since I don't know I will ask. Which of these are the better batteries as far as voltage, run time and cut off times and can they be charged on the same charger? I am trying to learn but finding it a slow process to take it all in. After I chose the better batteries to start with I will be needing to be sure my cartomizers have optimal resistance for the batts I chose. Then there's juices, PG and I can't remember the other types but will want to figure out the best type for my cartos and batts. To top it off I will be wanting to select either a Mega 380 mAh from kanger or one of the diamond, stealth or XL batts from v4l. Which of these longer batts do you think are the better batteries. Keep in mind I would like to be able to use the same chargers with all my bats if possible to avoid confusion but that is not a must. I know that is a lot to ask and I hope this was descriptive enough.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I only use manuals and I mainly use V4L single logo for their custom 10+ second cutoff. Every other KR8 I know of has a 5 second cutoff and that's a bit too short for manuals where you want to press the button in 1-2 seconds early so nice vapor is waiting when you start to drag - with a 5 second battery I often get the fast-LED-flash of the cutoff (where it cuts power) at the end of my drags. Not so bad when a carto is brand new but once I have 6 days use on a carto I need that slightly longer drag and the 5-second ones can't give it after you spend 1-2 seconds on pressing early.

BTW if you sign up at V4L they have good sales often, frequently 28% off and up. I caught one 42% off sale. They usually have sales every holiday, around big sporting events, and some other times like some employee birthdays. I found my two main juices for cartos there (WOW juices) by trying their carto samplers as well as normal packs for flavors I wanted to try that weren't in a sampler.

Also note - I like their WOW cartos but they can get very hot on the lips so I recommend a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece instead of the endcap (which I do anyway - can pull it easily to check the color of the stuffing to see if it could use juice or with carto off battery add some juice). The SmokelessImage and Bloogplanet cartos are nice - cooler on their lips and absorb liquid more easily.

If you want to save money, you could start with a Kanger KR8 kit and buy your spare battery and replacement batteries at V4L if you want the longer cutoff. With a 5 second cut-off battery, if I try to limit myself to a 1-second early press then I can usually finish my drag without it cutting out and flashing like Christmas lights.

Last edited:

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
I only use manuals and I mainly use V4L single logo for their custom 10+ second cutoff. Every other KR8 I know of has a 5 second cutoff and that's a it too short for manuals where you want to press the button in 1-2 seconds early so nice vapor is waiting when you start to drag - with a 5 second battery I often get the fast-LED-flash of the cutoff (where it cuts power) at the end of my drags. Not so bad when a carto is brand new but once I have 6 days use on a carto I need that slightly longer drag and the 5-second ones can't give it.

BTW if you sign up at V4L they have good sales often, frequently 28% off and up. I caught one 42% off sale. They usually have sales every holiday, around big sporting events, and some other times like some employee birthdays. I found my two main juices for cartos there (WOW juices) by trying their carto samplers as well as normal packs for flavors I wanted to try that weren't in a sampler.

Also note - I like their WOW cartos but they can get very hot on the lips so I recommend a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece instead of the endcap (which I do anyway - can pull it easily to check the color of the stuffing to see if it could use juice or with carto off battery add some juice). The SmokelessImage and Bloogplanet cartos are nice - cooler on their lips and absorb liquid more easily.

If you want to save money, you could start with a Kanger KR8 kit and buy your spare battery and replacement batteries at V4L if you want the longer cutoff. if I try to limit myself to a 1-second early press then I can usually finish my drag without a 5-second battery cutting out and flashing like Christmas lights.

So if you are certain the kanger kits batteries have only 5 sec cut offs I will probably go with the v4l kit. The cartomizers that come with the kits are pre fillel aren't they? Can I refill those by just popping the cap off and dripping directly into the cartomizers? Do I get a drip tip from v4l or do I have to get it elsewhere and is that just for comfort or do you actually drip into it as you do on other pv's?

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
I read some of your other responses in my other threads where you mentioned keeping the cartomizers wet with some kind of liquid to prolong there life but don't really understand the process, how long should a filled cartomizers last before I have to add more juice? The one we have right now seems to need to be refilled all the time like after 15 or so drags, its an expert 510 from misty mountain vapors, we drip right into the drip tip. It seems a little harsh on the throat to me not sure if it should.

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
A prefilled cartomizer MAY last for 10-12 cigarette's worth of vaping BUT if you vape one that much without adding juice you may singe it and add a burnt bitter taste. I try to keep my carto damp (see my instructions below). The drip tip - some fancy swirl, ming. pawn drip tip usually don't fit and ones with a red or fat o-ring may not fit. Some that fit are the V4L delrin, the plain colored clear and swirl clear at LiteCigUSA.net (plain a bit loose, swirl a bit tight), and the marbled vase drip tips at Gotvapes (the plain vases were tighter than I like).

If using a prefill skip to how I keep them damp while vaping. Yo u will get the hang of it. I use thin clear juices, around 80PG/20VG and 2 V4L WOW juices (SmokelessImage juices are also 80PG/20VG) and I avoid dark/opaque/cloudy liquids that drop carto-clogging sediment in the stuffing because that stuff degrades a carto quickly. I can usually use a carto for 7-10 days or about 20ml run through.

---
How I fill V4L/Volt/Bloog KR8 cartos and Boge 510 cartos

With the carto off the battery... Pop out the soft cap with an unbent paperclip in the mouth hole, very careful not to catch stuffing or the wire loop.
Shake and open the eliquid

Fill
Hold a bit of tissue on the threaded end hole (or use the carto condom spike to block the hole),tilt the carto, and add 18 drops per ml of capacity into the stuffing (Boges and most KR8 cartos are about 1ml). You may need to wait a bit for the first few to soak in, then continue. After getting the 18 in, wait 15 seconds or so then see how many more drops the carto stuffing will soak in easily.

Cleanup
Clean up the threaded end, tilt open end down into tissue, puff into threaded end to clear air channel (Boges and the KR8 cartos I use have a defined center air channel and I want to see light through that) While the carto is still open end down, touch a soft bunch of tissue to the top of the stuffing to get the loose juice - this will help prevent leaks.

Settle (first fill only)
Cap and let it settle - I lay it on different sides and on the ends for 15-20 minutes to make sure every bit of stuffing gets damp so I won't singe the carto. if you use thicker juice than me (I use 20% Vg or less) then you may need to wait much longer.

While vaping
While vaping, if the vapor gets a bit light or a bit dry or the carto is getting hotter than normal, I take the carto off the battery and add eliquid. Also, I use such light sediment-free juices, I can look at the stuffing and see if it needs juice because the stuffing goes back to near-white.

I often use a plastic or delrin drip tip as a mouthpiece on Boge and KR8 cartos (not to drip into since the juice would head for the central air channel). Easy to pop out to add juice.

Last edited:

Newwell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Piece of Heaven,OR
:thumbs: Dormouse, Love the post. I've been using V4L's Diamond manual 808 XL's & love them. I have 2 of them & 4 standard batts. My DH uses the standards more than I do. I really like your posting about refilling. Excellent directions. I use the blank WOW cartos & WOW juices also. Love V4L & their great sales & CS. I caught the 42% off sale & got my XL's & some juices.
I've never hit the cut-off time with my XL's and they last about 3-4 hours before needing a recharge.
So far, I am very pleased with my 808's. Now I'm considering DIYing. I think I'm hooked or becoming a vaping OCDer.

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
A prefilled cartomizer MAY last for 10-12 cigarette's worth of vaping BUT if you vape one that much without adding juice you may singe it and add a burnt bitter taste.

I only use manuals and I mainly use V4L single logo for their custom 10+ second cutoff.

so 10 to 12 cigeretts worth of vape in a cartomizers before its empty seems like a good bit, not real sure how many puffs that would come to. But figured this way, 10 to 12 is about half a pack. For a pack a day smoker that is about half a days worth. However as it seems a pack a day analog smoker is a heavier, at least at first, vapor. So should put my wife around 3 fill ups through the day. Now what you are saying dormouse is that she should pop the tip out and keep it topped off more frequently to avoid singing the filler material in the cartos, correct? I assume there are no such cartos that will hold more then the mentioned 1 ml. Is there?

I see you suggest the single logo batts, they seem to have two sizes in the single logo series, one being extra long battery manual with single logo and the other being called single logo manual battery. I believe the XL one is 380 mAh not sure about the shorter single logo. If you know could you inform me what it is? I want at least 280 mAh which I believe they stock but not sure if it is a single logo.
Are the single logo better than the other battery series they offer? What is the difference in them and the diamond and stealth series? As I would like two 280 mAh batts or two 380mAh batts I just want which one is the best series as far as vapor production and time between charge. I don't have to get a starter kit as they really don't save you much over gettin two batts a pack of cartos and a USB charger. I have tons of power suppose from cell phones and various different electronics which I could plug a USB charger into that output 5v and from 500 mA to 2000 mA.

Last edited:

SirVette

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Texas
... I have tons of power suppose from cell phones and various different electronics which I could plug a USB charger into that output 5v and from 500 mA to 2000 mA.
The correct charger for the 280-380mAh batteries is much less than 500 so you need the correct charger or risk blowing up the battery. Kit rec.!

SirVette

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Texas
I only use manuals and I mainly use V4L single logo for their custom 10+ second cutoff. Every other KR8 I know of has a 5 second cutoff and that's a bit too short for manuals where you want to press the button in 1-2 seconds early so nice vapor is waiting when you start to drag - with a 5 second battery I often get the fast-LED-flash of the cutoff (where it cuts power) at the end of my drags. Not so bad when a carto is brand new but once I have 6 days use on a carto I need that slightly longer drag and the 5-second ones can't give it after you spend 1-2 seconds on pressing early.

I have a Kanger KR808 manual battery from 2010 still running w/ the 10 sec. cutoff & 2 new KR808 manual batteries w/ the 10 sec. cutoff. Timed them today. (None of mine are from V4L.)
:toast:

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
The correct charger for the 280-380mAh batteries is much less than 500 so you need the correct charger or risk blowing up the battery. Kit rec.!

Really I thought these things could be charged on a PC through the USB? Unless the power supply is under the required mA. Required for the batt it should not matter much. Now the voltage is a different story and being these batts charge through USB adapters I would assume they require a supply with a 5 v output, seeing as that is the standard for USB. Is all this correct? Please others chime in as I don't want to use the wrong voltage or anything else. If my understang of voltage and mA's are off base please educate me.

allen227

Jan 7, 2012
nc
Once the battery reaches its voltage threshold the charge should be terminated by the charger, I can't see how the mA (current), the charge rate should affect it. Unless it reaches its charge threshold to quickly and charge is terminated before the saturation stage of the charge is complete. This would not harm the battery it just wouldn't allow it to reach full capacity. Some may argue that could prolong battery life while shortening its operation time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread