Newbie thinking of getting a VX2. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivkat

Jun 13, 2009
Hi all,

Nice community you have here... Everyone seems so helpful and friendly :)

I'm a total newbie -- spent the past few days watching videos and browsing through the forums trying to figure out which PV to get for my first one.

About my smoking habits:
I usually only smoke about 5 cigs a day, but tend to go through whole packs at a time socially. Though I imagine if I could smoke indoors, I would probably smoke more frequently.

I'm looking for a few things in my e-cig:
1) I usually take short drags. I hate having to pull and pull and pull to get a nice hit. From some of the videos, it seems some models require you to pull pretty hard, and this is something I would like to avoid. I guess I would do well to stick with an automatic because of this? Or would a manual still be recommended?

2) Even though I don't smoke all that much compared to some people here, I don't want to have to be constantly fussing with the carts and batteries and atomizer, and I have a decent amount of money to spend on something durable with bigger carts and longer battery life, etc. I know a certain amount "fussing" is necessary, and I'm ok with that. That's part of the fun after all! Would probably end up dripping instead of using prefilled carts eventually...

3) I usually smoke Sherman's and would like something comparable in size, that has more of the shape and feel of an analog. I know that a good ecig is going to be bigger than an analog, but I just don't want it too big and awkward. Everyone was talking about how good the screwdriver is, but I just hate the way that it looks. I'd like it to be "pretty" and maybe even come with a nice carrying case.

I was initially thinking that I should go with a DSE901, since it seems pretty standard, then read alot of good things about the 501 and Jantys (though I'm really confused about all the different models, and I don't like what I've read about how hot they can get) Also like the looks of the M401/402, but don't know about it's durability, ease of use, etc.

Finally, I discovered the VX2, which I'm thinking might be just right for me.
Specifically, I was thinking of buying this:

Oh, well I can't link to it, but it's from litecigusa.com - the "Litecig VX2 Vaporizer Deluxe kit with PCC Case"

From what I've told you, do you guys think this would be a fit for me?

Any thoughts on this seller, is the price good? maybe there is some place I could get it shipped more quickly? I don't want to have to wait too long!

What extras should I buy? (I'm thinking 1 extra atty and maybe a bottle or two of juice?)

Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for any thoughts you all have! I'm so excited about getting my first ecig!

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    Price is good, and service from what I hear (Litecigusa) is top notch. I actually just placed an order with them for some non J118/VX2 stuff, and got my J118 from e-smokeronline.com , had it in two days.

Several will come in and say they love their J118s. It's ok, but for vapor, and more importantly (to ME), throat hit, the 51/Yeti/Titan wins out.

Either one, I'd buy a PCC with. The J118/VXS is plastic, but I haven't had issues with it yet. The 510's is metal, also no issues with.

The J118 has foil sealed carts..I refill with e-liquid, and the foil is sorta tough to get all of it off, and the J118 blanks don't have any 'caps' once you refill them, while the 510 carts (and most others) do. If you plan on only using pre-filled carts, this shouldn't matter to you.

The J118 has a lighter draw, more like an empty straw, than the 510, which is more 'analog like'/more resistance when you inhale. Some like lighter draws, some do not.

My J118 review:
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s/19827-j118-aka-vx2-l88b-initial-review.html

Figureheads (who loves his):
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/video-reviews/18853-vx2-video-review-finaly.html

I've picked up another atty and battery for the J118 as a last attempt to see if it's anywhere close to a 510, for *my* needs (I want throat hit, and decent vapor). If I didn't have the 510, and the J118 provides a bit more throat hit, I'd probably be content with it.

Rivkat

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks for the response! Well, I was almost set on the VX2, but what you say about the draw being "like sucking on an empty straw" kind of worries me. I had analogs that were like that once and really didn't like them. I definitely want some resistance, but not to the point where I have to pull really hard to get any vapor.

A few more questions:

In figurehead's review, the tip of the black one glows red... Are they all like that? I was kind of hoping for blue, or some other color.

The 510 sounds pretty good - I'm wondering about the comment I've heard about it getting too hot. Is that only if you take really long pulls? Also, how does it compare in battery life, size, etc. to the VX2?

Thanks!

Fonzy

ECF Veteran
    Jun 3, 2009
    california
    i bought the silver one, and the tip is blue. im liking the vx2 so far, but i have nothing else to compare it to as far as the throat hit and vapor go.

each fully charged battery lasts half a day for me, and i use it heavily.

so far im not liking the liquid at litecig, but as im new to vapor it could just be the switch. arctic mint at first tasted like a stale york pepperment patty, but now i like it. the tobacco flavor has a fruit hint to it, but is also not that bad.

the menthol and cola i dont care much for, the menthol wasnt very mentholly if you get my meaning.

the only other flavor i tried is coffee, and i like that alot. thought all the liquid i tried there so far wasnt very strong tasting.

shawn over there is a killer nice dude too, and his shipping was fast (im on the opposite coast, got it in 2 days). i think he got the red color in just a few days ago, and i heard that he might be getting blue in. not sure if every color has a different color LED tip or not.

one last thing too, im not sure if its because i got a different color than black, but i didnt get a box like figurehead did in his review. which is not a big deal for me, but i figured id mention it.

Annastasia

ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    www.annstorer.com
    I have a VX2 from litecig, and it's okay. I'm not as stoked about it as Figurehead, but then who is? (lol)

My biggest problem with it is that I can't taste anything...My favorite liquid tastes like nothing at all in the VX2, but wonderful in my 901. I also get less vapor, and I don't like the super easy draw on it. It does feel substantially thicker than a regular cig, or even my 901, to me. So that may be a consideration if you're just starting out.

That being said, the battery life is decent, and the PCC is a definite plus. One thing to note on the charging case is the design printed on it; mine says "Healthy * Faddish * Safe*, which I find privately hilarious. If that bugs you, you won't be happy...

wegster

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    The 510 attys get warm, but so does the VX2/J118.

The J118 batteries last a bit longer, everyone will admit the 510 batteries suck, but then again, I suspect it's due to the 510 attys intentionally drawing more juice, giving us the vapor and throat thit that they do. (not confirmed, but makes sense). Constant vaping, I don't see too much difference, maybe 1.5 hours for the 510, 2 hours on the J118. Either, for 'constant or heavy use,' a USB passthrough (don't think litecig has one for the J118 yet, esmokerlonline.com does, though) and/or PCC is highly recommended. Casual use, like once an hour use, either is fine (but still get the PCC).

Nearly all e-cigs have an LED on the tip that glows when inhaling/activated. Some offer different colors, blue seems most popular on the black e-cigs, but I've seen purple and others on 510s, 401s, etc..sometimes it's just up to what your particular vendor stocks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread