VX2 vs 510 - I don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyc

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sydney, Australia
(Disclaimer: I write posts in a needlessly verbose fashion. I write documentation for a living. :D)

Starting out on the quitting journey (50+ hours now 8-o) I'm a bit perplexed as to how I'm failing at 510 ownership...

I picked up a VX2 from litecigusa. I friggin love this thing. Much thanks to wegster and Figurehead for their long reviews and info, btw! While I do have automatic batteries, I haven't touched them yet aside from making sure they work. Primer puffs just aren't for me. I can set this thing down, grab it 20 minutes later, and it's ready to go on the first draw.

The only downside is that gear for a VX2/J118 isn't anywhere near as widely available as 901/510 fare, and the only provider for it that I've heard good things about is litecig.

Clearly, I needed a solution in case of a ban in the US or something. Everyone loves the 510, and eastmall's $30 PCC sale kind of made up my mind on a secondary. Having read about breaking in the atty I resolved to put down my VX2 for a day and puff on the 510 like mad. Thankfully, I'm using low-strength juice.

The 510 IS the king of throat hit. The problem is that I'm getting insanely inconsistent vapor production. I've had decent hits and virtually vaporless hits. I've had huge someone-kicked-the-back-of-my-throat hits followed by exhaling a small wisp of vapor. Even the best are nowhere near the stuff I see on youtube where it looks someone set fire to their tongue.

Is the atty just not broken in? Is the 510 only revered as much as it is because it's only compared to the 901/40x stuff? Is there a 510 "technique" I'm missing out on? Should I only drip with the 510?

If you've made it to the end of this, give yourself a pat on the back. :)

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
My 510 gives me huge billows of vapor almost consistently, even when the battery is starting to go. That said, I mix with VG at a ratio of about 35-50% depending on the juice.

I've tried pure PG and have had the same results you had though. Such as JC, I love the juice but PG based was just tiny wisps of vapor. Added a lot of VG and I look like a fog machine :) With Ry4, the vapor was there but minuscule. With some VG added to the Ry4, lots of vapor.

Last edited:

misterME

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Charleston, SC - USA
My first day and half of using my 510, the vapor wasn't all that great. It can take two or more days to break one in, depending on the atty.

Since I've broken mine in, I don't remember a time where it didn't produce both an awesome throat (lung) hit and great vapor, except for when the atty got flooded.

If you're pretty sure it's decently broken in, and still aren't getting good vapor, try using a can of compressed air to blow the atty out really well. Put the open end firmly into a paper towel, and put the nozzle of the compressed air can right in front of the hole on the threaded side, and blow it out thoroughly. If the atty has gotten caked with something, or just flooded, doing this will free it up, and increase the vapor production drastically. Just remember to prime the atty (put two drops of juice directly on the bridge carefully) after blowing it out.

ArizX

Aug 15, 2009
Miami
I've been using the 510 for a couple weeks now and had many of the same problems with it. I need to have lots of vapor for a satisfying experience and at first wasn't getting that. Here are my suggestions...

1. PTB mod - The biggest problem with these things is the carts. IMO, they are a major design flaw in this and many other ecig models. There are tons of threads with variations on this mod. I personally like to cut half a sheet of lipton ptb longways and cut 3/4ths of the sheet about 1/8th of an inch shorter so the inside is slightly recessed to hug the atty better. Then roll it up, stuff it in and start filling. Works way better than the fluffy filler stuff.

2. Cut with VG - I try to vape the lowest nic level I can so cutting my 12mg fluid with VG works just fine with me. I completely agree with jimik. 35-50% VG mixed into the juice makes the vapor just perfect. I bought mine at whole foods and apparently it is also available at CVS and walmart.

3. Long slow drags - The 510 seems to work best by taking long slow drags. I hit the button and then pull for about 5 seconds to get the vapor I really want. I find this method also warms up the atty faster and allows the wicking action to perform better.

Hope this helps. The 510 can a difficult piece but probably can't be beat for such a small unit. It is excellent for refilling, PCC makes it very good on the road, and the sealed manual batteries are great.

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
If you do use a can of compressed air, be sure to do some research. Sometimes there are extra stuff tossed in these cans, such as Dust-Off has included something called bitterant which might cause a nasty taste.

Not saying that it doesn't work, as I have never done it. I just remember reading somewhere on this forum of someone advising against it.

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
I'm about to order my first pv & have been thinking of the vx2 because it looked like you get a lot of bang for the buck on that one from e-cig. Lots of people seem to recommend the 510, so I'm wondering if I should get that instead. My requirements would be lots of vapor, a good throat hit & long battery life. Size isn't such a concern. What would y'all recommend?

Psyc

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for the replies, all. Though I thought I was hitting it pretty hard it looks like the atty needed another day to break it. I'm getting nice consistency out of it now, though it's still far from the clouds I see on youtube. I suspect that may be people cheating and using VG, though.

Next stop, finding some VG and PTB. If I can get clouds and stop topping up so often, I win.

been thinking of the vx2 because it looked like you get a lot of bang for the buck on that one from e-cig. Lots of people seem to recommend the 510, so I'm wondering if I should get that instead. My requirements would be lots of vapor, a good throat hit & long battery life.

510 wins on throat hit. Period. The attys get really hot.

Vapor-wise, I'd put the VX2 on par with the 510 for sheer vapor production.

Long battery life is won by the VX2, but if you get a PCC and USB passthrough (which you want) then it really doesn't matter.

The important thing is to get a manual battery and manual passthrough. I ordered one for the VX2 just to try it out, and it's all I'll use now. No matter what PV you choose, get the manual battery. The 510 is awesome, but I think a large portion of it's fame is due to comparing it's manual switch to other PVs automatic switch.

Of course, you'll eventually buy both anyway... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread