New to vapin and looking to replace analog clove cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Just starting to get into real vaping. I've had a cig look a like for a few months from green smart living that my local smoke shop carries. Wanted to try to get off analogs but its just not doing the trick. I solely smoke Djarum Bali Hai clove cigs and both smoke shops in my area just discontinued carrying them because the state started taxing filtered cigars. They went from $6 a pack to over $10 for 12 cigs. The e-cig i have has a clove flavor in 18mg and 6mg nic. 18mg gives me too much throat burn but 6mg doesnt cut it for the nic fix. Looking into other brands and came across this forum. Been learning a ton but would like some advice about a good starter kit that gives me more control and that i can find some good clove juice for. Also any opinions on some good clove juice would be a great help. A store recently opened in my town but i havent had a chance to check them out yet. I would like to know what im getting into before i go there, i dont always trust a retail store to give me accurate info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is what the website says for ingredients :

"Ingredients

Flavorings +/-10%, Propylene Glycol +/-60% and Glycerol +/ -30%."

Unfortunately the refills are premixed so I cant combine them. Thats one of the reasons I would like to change to a more advanced system so I can hopefully find an e-liquid that better suits me. Thanks for the info so far :)

istimewa

Jul 27, 2013
phoenix, az, usa
Smoked cloves, myself, for 30yrs, but I never much liked the clove cigars. After clove cigs were banned, I just started making my own by adding ground clove, anise, cinnamon, & vanilla to tobacco. Sometimes, I'd also add coffee grounds. You can pretty much find all of those ingredients (in varying amounts) in every clove cig or cigar. There would also be fruits (such as, orange, coconut, & banana) depending on the type of clove cig.

I smoked primarily Djarums (unfiltered [international, istimewa, coklat], vanilla, & menthol), so I tried to match up with the likely flavors involved: tobacco, clove, vanilla, & coffee (I haven't tried mixing for a menthol clove in an e-cig, yet). Plus, thanks to friends of mine, I found sahara to add to that mix. I got all of those flavors from apolloecigs.com

I never smoked the Djarum Bali Hai. I would suggest searching 'Bali Hai' + 'diy' or 'myo' or 'ryo'. After clove cigs were banned, quite a few people started making or rolling their own. You should be able to find out something about the ingredients used, which is a good place to start.

If you want to find something close to what you were smoking, you will most likely have to mix flavors. I would suggest starting out with 2 egos + a tank (a clearomizer would be okay, too, but mistakes will clean out better with a glass tank). I have egos, ego twists, & vamo V3s + a couple of pro tanks.

I'll be up front with you. I've been vaping for 2 months, & I haven't found something that matches what I smoked, but I have found excellent mixtures that work well for my tastes. I've found that mixing clove & tobacco & ry4 with either (& sometimes both) vanilla & coffee gives me a good base to mix in other flavors or to just vape on its own. Plus, I've also found that I like some other flavors just mixed with tobacco or ry4.

Another option, which I recently purchased but have yet to try, is clove tobacco (I found it at vaperite.com). The smell is much more like what I would expect, though. So, I think it could be promising!

Sorry for the length, but as a last thought, I may suggest being less concerned with finding a Bali Hai vape & being more open to discovering new possibilities via vaping. You may surprise yourself. Think of tastes you like & run with it :vapor:

Best of luck to you on ditching the analogs & I'd be happy to help with any questions. I'd also like to hear about what vapes you create along the way!

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
I used to smoke Djarum Blacks, and the first thing I looked for was a good clove..bought pre-filled cartos for a while until they changed the mix and it tasted like crap, then found the following:
Black Clove Area E-Cig | Affordable Electric Cigarettes | E-Smoking | Vaping - $6.99 : E-liquid- Buy Cheap Electronic Cigarette and E Cigarette at Aresecig.com
10ml bottle of medium 18mg D'Black Clove flavor e-Liquid

The one from VK I did try and it was reasonably close, a little more clove flavor than I really wanted, and not as sweet, but that's from a Blacks smoker, I never tried the Bali Hai label before, so those could be totally different. The Ares liquid I've only heard reviews of, and it's supposed to be excellent, even has clove oil in it to give you that numbing sensation.

I'd steer away from anything marked solely as 'Clove e-liquid' like the offering from MBV, as it's going to be straight cloves more than likely. I got a bottle of clove flavoring and it's really, really strong, with nothing resembling a clove cig's layers of taste behind it..it's designed to be mixed with other flavorings. I would imagine the 'clove' pre-mixed liquids from MBV and others will be the exact same.

Also, I believe MyFreedomSmokes has a few Djarum liquids, including a Gold flavor which I believe is more similar to the mini-cigars, could be worth checking out.

Iruel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Atlantis
I think PLuid or Magic Fairy from Good Life Vapor is a great base to mix your preferred tobacco base liquid with as they are some of the best Anise / Absinthe Flavored juice in the market. I used to smoke Dji Sam Soe (234, the original kretek cigarette from indonesia), and I find the Anise taste in the 2 above mentioned juices to be great substitute.

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
Back when you could still get the cigarette versions, I tried the Bali Hai's but I'm not much of a coconut fan so I stuck to the Blacks and Specials. After the cigar change I pretty much stuck with the Black's. I never could find a clove juice I liked, but strong menthol flavors helped me give up the analogs. They gave me the same kind of "numbing" on the back of my throat. I still gravitate toward menthols in general. My go to has always been Midas' Glacial Inferno, lately started using Halo's Sub Zero pretty heavily. I would highly recommend checking out the store if only to try a few juices and check out what they have. It's great to have you here!

Thanks for the input! I think I will start trying out different flavors once I get a good setup. I was mainly concerned with making the transition from the clove cigs to the e-cig but there are sooo many options that Im sure I'll find something I like. Never could make the transition from clove cigs to regular cigs but going to vaping is the best option yet.

Iruel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Atlantis
Honestly, there will never be any juice close to the real thing... I am a hard core Cohiba Robusto and Punch Magnum person. The cuban made ones...

But... if you ask me, whats the next best thing in juices. For me it's Vermillion River Kentucky Blend and the other variants.

I used to think it was BWB's Maple tobacco.... lol!!

Zak Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Orange, California, United States
Thanks for the input! I think I will start trying out different flavors once I get a good setup. I was mainly concerned with making the transition from the clove cigs to the e-cig but there are sooo many options that Im sure I'll find something I like. Never could make the transition from clove cigs to regular cigs but going to vaping is the best option yet.
I don't know how many others had this, but I could smoke cloves all day but could not smoke a regular cig without coughing as if it was my first! Plus, they just didn't taste good to me. I've since tried smoking cloves a couple times and yeah.....no. Glad you found us, and please, let us know what you find!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Here is what the website says for ingredients :

"Ingredients

Flavorings +/-10%, Propylene Glycol +/-60% and Glycerol +/ -30%."

Unfortunately the refills are premixed so I cant combine them. Thats one of the reasons I would like to change to a more advanced system so I can hopefully find an e-liquid that better suits me. Thanks for the info so far :)

Hmmm... Chances are the flavorings are PG base too. So you have a liquid that could be up to 70% PG. That might be coming off just too harsh for your liking. Go the other way and even try something in what's called "high VG" (everything VG except any PG in the flavorings). That would give you maximum vapor and drop the harshness way down.

I think you is lucky in a way. Getting Clove flavor right is pretty easy. But all that "burning" kind of taste that goes along with a clove cigarette won't be there. Some people find vaping clove to be too "pure" a flavor experience. It will definitely be clove - but possibly not much else. Me? I've even liked the most basic Clove there is - Dekang of all things. The Mt. Baker already mentioned is good too, but not all that different. At least with Mt. Baker you can pick the PG/VG ratio you want. I find both the Dekang and Mt. Baker to be a plain, no nonsense Clove vape. Nothing complex going on there.

The Vapor Room has a Clove too. They describe it as "Strong, spicy flavor. Similar to your favorite Kreteks clove cigarettes" if that helps. Knowing TVR, and compared to the other two I mentioned, TVR would be my best suggestion of those three.

StarBest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
USA
I've been using My Freedom Smokes and Aroma ejuice Djarum Black liquid, to be honest Aroma has a better and closest to clove analog than MFS but it's a lot more expensive IMO. I was looking for better ones to replace Dji Sam Soe but after almost 2 years searching I gave up and settle for MFS and Aroma. Nothing can replace the analog taste.
I still have 10 cartons of DJS Premium untouched :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread