New to diy and already getting discouraged... Pleeaaaase help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasG

Dec 10, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
I know this is supposed to be in the DIY thread but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post anywhere else yet cuz i'm a noob. I really need some pointers on DIY

I just started DIY because I love strong flavors and I wanted to make my own so I can control the flavor. However, I'm really frustrated due to the fact that I've tried a few different variations of my favorite "cola" vape using FA Cola and I don't taste any flavor at all. I've read that steeping is supposed to help but it seems that with the first vape after mixing, it doesn't seem like steeping would help at all. Here are a couple of recipes I've used. I used the online e-liquid calculator e-Liquid Calculator I found here. For these I also used either 60mg VG Nic or 60mg PG Nic from Voidmist. PG and VG bases are from One Stop DIY Shop

I like Thicker vape so for this one I thought I'd use more VG along with MTS Vape Wizard for more vapor. Also added Koolada from TPA for this for the cold feeling of the vape

18mg 60pg\40vg cola:

60mg VG Nic 30%
PG Base 53.3%
VG Base 9.7%
FA Cola 5%
MTS VW 1%
TPA Koolada 1% no flavor on 1st vape, and still no flavor after 2 days of steeping

Then, I figured I'd try more PG and more flavor with no Koolada on this recipe:

18mg 80pg\20vg

60mg PG Nic 30%
PG Base 33.3%
VG Base 19.7%
FA Cola 15%
MTS VW 2%

same thing on this one... No flavor on first vape after mixing. haven't tried stteping on it yet

I really want to be able to do this and vape my own mixes. Any suggestions?

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Mix 1ml at a time until you figure out what you like and what your doing. w/your 60 nic base use:

6 drops nic
11 drops vg
3 drops flavoring for 15% flavoring

These calculations are just for a 18 nic base w/15 % flavoring. You can change the vg ratio for the 80/20

Here's a better calculator IMO

E-Liquid Calculator - An easy way to mix your own E-Liquid

Hrtbrkr1965

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2010
Indiana
Sometimes flavors are wonky! We have some flavors like cappuccino that work at 5-7% but 10% will make you wash your mouth out and we have strawberry flavors that work at 20-25%! I usually start at about 10% and then go drop by drop till it's there! 2-3 ml bottles at a time!
Something else we do is when we find a mix or flavor we like right after mixing we make a 2nd bottle to steep! Our steeping process goes like this....others may do it dif! Put in cool dark place 24 hours open, close bottle and shake it up! Let it sit about 3 days! Open it for an hour and close it and shake again then put back in dark for a week! You will be amazed at the color and taste change that goes on in 1 weeks time compared to the original!
Heres the calculator we use! It's downloadable! You can save your recipe files to use later! Good Luck!

eJuice Me Up - e-Juice e-Liquid Recipe Calculator

DMF

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Slower Lower Delaware
What those who posted before me have said is the best of information. I'd like to add just one thought:

I noticed you mentioned you use a high vg percentage. Vg does mute flavor, you might have to up the percentage of flavoring according to the amount of vg you use. There are also several different flavoring companies out there that can be used FA of course , but there's also FF and PA and loranns. If one cola product doesn't work for you, there is always another place to choose from. I have also noticed many diy'ers mix flavorings from different manufacturers in their recipes, it is always possible that to get the flavor you are looking for you might need to experiment a bit more. Don't be discouraged there's tons of information here in forums for beginner diy'ers and there's a whole slew of people here ready to jump in and help.

*I am not an official "diy'er". I am ,however, a home baker and see diy as similar to baking. I also talk with those who diy on a regular basis in the ecf chat channel #diy where I am a "room mother " lol.

tomkatt

Dec 15, 2010
Somewhere
You may have to up the flavor amount.

Also, steeping makes a big difference. My wife started DIY mixing our e-juice, and the biggest thing for nearly every batch mixed was steeping it with the lid off for several days in a dark space.

The flavorings seem to be suspended in some form of alcohol content. By letting it steep with the lid off your juice, the alcohol can evaporate (and does so more quickly than VG, PG, or Water), leaving the flavor to actually seep into your nicotine mixture.

Mixes we thought were terrible or only "meh" turned out very good, and my current fave (peach) and my wife's current fave (cola) were both of the "I might have to throw this out and try again" variety until they steeped for a week or more, so just give it some time and see what happens.

tomkatt

Dec 15, 2010
Somewhere
Thanks for all of your tips. I'll try to steep it for some time and will try again. If there maybe any more tips you guys can add it would be much appreciated

There are many suggestions for steeping juice and videos on youtube if you search a bit. I'd personally recommend leaving the cap off the bottle for at least 24 hours, then shake and note any improvement or lack thereof. Steep longer (with cap off) as needed. This seems to take away excess "harsh" throat hit and remove the "alcohol bite" I've experienced. Opinions will vary though, some say leaving the cap off will actually dilute the nicotine, but I'm pretty sure the alcohol evaporates much more quickly than the nicotine content, which may, technically, make it stronger, though negligibly so if you're mixing any reasonably quantity of juice.

tomkatt

Dec 15, 2010
Somewhere
I've been reading about steeping this way and will try it. Also read soaking it in a hot water bath for an hour or so may help speed up the process. Any thoughts on this?

Not a clue on that. sounds interesting, but all that would do IMO is make it warm. you could do that in front of a heater vent. My guess is the warmth from that just speeds up the evaporation, but that's just a guess and opinion.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/161020-frustrated-diy-3.html

In this thread...post #26 is some good advice from Kimmer at OneStopDIY....

The heat mentioned above does help....just like simmering chili or a stew.....it helps to blend the flavors. The steeping process is very much the same as cooking....ever notice how soups and chili, spaghetti sauce (homemade) all seem to taste better the next day....that is the steeping of the flavors.

And I do not heat the juice after nic has been added.....but I do mix flav with pg/vg and warm it and let it cool before adding my nic....however when experimenting with flav amounts and such...it is just with pg/vg....once I have the flavor percentage where I want it, then I will do a larger batch and include the nic.....

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I can't do it - I'm not a mod and not quite sure how to contact one.

Almost 3000 posts and don't know how to contact a mod? Go to the main page of EVERY forum and scroll down.....you'll see a list of all the Mods for that forum. Click on any of their usernames and you can send a PM

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
ChasG - Breezed through this thread and there is some really good advise here. One thing I did not see (or may have missed) is that nobody has mentioned sweetner. Since you are making a flavor that is typically known to be sweet you could be like me and missing that key ingrediant. I have found that most of my DIY seems "flat" without about 1% sweetner. I use Sucarlose for cola, fruit, bakery etc. flavors and Ethyl Malto for those w/a tobacco base. Just a thought but some of us are more "sweet" sensitive and without it juice just seems to be missing something. Best of luck and I am sure you will dial into the formula soon.

JWebb

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
St. Louis USA
ChasG - Breezed through this thread and there is some really good advise here. One thing I did not see (or may have missed) is that nobody has mentioned sweetner. Since you are making a flavor that is typically known to be sweet you could be like me and missing that key ingrediant. I have found that most of my DIY seems "flat" without about 1% sweetner. I use Sucarlose for cola, fruit, bakery etc. flavors and Ethyl Malto for those w/a tobacco base. Just a thought but some of us are more "sweet" sensitive and without it juice just seems to be missing something. Best of luck and I am sure you will dial into the formula soon.

Liv2ski, could you expand on the ethyl malto, if you like a sweeter taste and are using a tobacco base, you add that at1%? Can you find that at a local pharmacy or what? Is there a substitute for it if it is hard to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread