New member and lookin to learn some ins n outs of wrapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbarron3

Jan 6, 2015
Lubbock, TX
Hello everyone!

Im new to building coils and before I start buying different types of wires n wicks I wanted to get some input from the OGs [emoji6] lol.

My setup as of today is a nemesis mod 18650(efest imr 2500ma) w/ a nimbus rda at ~.7 - .8 ohms w/ ... cotton. I have a Vulcan rda clone as well. I have yet to build the coils on my Vulcan due to my indecisiveness. What im looking for is warm, (not hot), flavorful dense clouds. I plan on using rayan or as i believe is called cellulose cotton? I've seen twisted, flat ribbon, and various ga wires. Im leaning towards flat ribbon kanthol for the extra SA or a parallel coil. Also, inner diameter seems to affect vapor n flavor as well. So if anyone could give me some ideas I wld greatly appreciate it! [emoji106]

I also have a few questions...

1. What is the difference between a dual coil at .45 ohms vs a quad coil .45 ohm (in same atty, using same e juice, with adjustable airflow to support more or less coils)?

2. Does the juice vape differently due to each coil having a different resistance, (since two coil totaling .45ohm, ea. is at .9ohm vs quad at 1.8ohm ea. to make .45ohm), if so how?

3. Is there particular ways to stuff my cotton to maximize vapor/flavor/juice amount? Specially since my Vulcan has a deep well.

drunkenbatman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
It's windy, USA
Hi! First of all, welcome! Second of all, you want rayon -- just make sure it says 100% rayon, some are a weave. To your questions:

1. More surface area for vapor production, eg, you have 2 vs 4 coils all generating vapor as opposed to one. To really get the most out of this, you'll want to up your amperage, but how they're wicked and sizing and such plays a role.

2. Yes, you have it right. You increase the surface area but since you're dividing the voltage hitting each coil, you aren't getting anything near double the vapor production. To do so you'd to double your amps hitting the atomizer (or halve the ohms). The lack of increased vapor production becomes more noticeable in a dripper than smaller things.

3. I don't have one -- based on their design I'd with four coils you'd be looking at enough wick wound through to keep things saturated, but not block airflow. If you're using rayon, remember it can work the opposite of cotton's "less is more" wicking rule, so you might need more than you'd guess.

HIH, and you come back with pictures.

Rodmarc

Dec 11, 2013
Panama City
Can't help you with the quad coil questions but a have a Vulcan rda. It's one of my favorites and just a simple 24ga micro coil on a 2.4mm precision screw driver with about 8 wraps apiece on a dual coil is perfect. It should give you that warm but not hot vape. I run mine around .3 ohms. I won't be chasing clouds with it but it taste really good.

hbarron3

Jan 6, 2015
Lubbock, TX
Vulcan: Twisted dual 28g 8 wraps.. feels too air-y. Takes a little to warm up but produces good flavor n vapor.

Nimbus: twisted single 28g 8 wraps

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420960515078.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420960515078.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420960855181.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420960855181.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 11

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello everyone!

Im new to building coils and before I start buying different types of wires n wicks I wanted to get some input from the OGs [emoji6] lol.

My setup as of today is a nemesis mod 18650(efest imr 2500ma) w/ a nimbus rda at ~.7 - .8 ohms w/ ... cotton. I have a Vulcan rda clone as well. I have yet to build the coils on my Vulcan due to my indecisiveness. What im looking for is warm, (not hot), flavorful dense clouds. I plan on using rayan or as i believe is called cellulose cotton? I've seen twisted, flat ribbon, and various ga wires. Im leaning towards flat ribbon kanthol for the extra SA or a parallel coil. Also, inner diameter seems to affect vapor n flavor as well. So if anyone could give me some ideas I wld greatly appreciate it! [emoji106]

I also have a few questions...

1. What is the difference between a dual coil at .45 ohms vs a quad coil .45 ohm (in same atty, using same e juice, with adjustable airflow to support more or less coils)?

2. Does the juice vape differently due to each coil having a different resistance, (since two coil totaling .45ohm, ea. is at .9ohm vs quad at 1.8ohm ea. to make .45ohm), if so how?

3. Is there particular ways to stuff my cotton to maximize vapor/flavor/juice amount? Specially since my Vulcan has a deep well.

1: a dual 0.45 ohm consists of 2 0.9 ohm coils
a quad 0.45 ohm consists of 4 1.8 ohm coils

2:
different resistance on a mech means different power level.

3:
Yes. Takes practice. Don't stuff.

Pay attention to the wire gauge.
Ribbon wire is great but it's good to use regular wire to start so you learn what works
Use the vape calculators like steam engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread