New flawed comment on research (junk science)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The research is here:

A rapid method for the chromatographic analysis of volatile organic compounds in exhaled breath of tobacco cigarette and electronic cigarette smokers

The comment (by Dr. Farsalinos) is here:

New study proves there is no second-hand vaping: e-cigarette aerosol contains less volatile compounds than normal exhaled breath

Dr. Farsalinos had written:

The study has some methodological problems. In the Sampling section, they mention: “People inspired and expired deeply three times, then retained the breath for 20 s and blew into the Bio-VOC body through a disposable cardboard mouthpiece at their highest capacity”. Obviously, smokers or vapers do not hold their breath for 20 seconds before exhaling the breath. Thus, the study probably overestimated the absorption rate of VOCs present in cigarette smoke or e-cigarette aerosol.

Obviously Dr. had failed to notice that original research was not about breath exhaled after draw, but breath exhaled after 30 minutes after smoking/vaping (checking for residual effects). Big difference. His acquisitions of “methodological problems” are based on his not understanding of original article.

Another example. Dr. Farsalinos had written:

As I said, not all VOCs are toxic but, interestingly, there were cases of toxic compounds present in the exhaled breath but not in the e-cigarette aerosol. For example, isoprene, which is listed as a carcinogenic compound in California Proposition 65 (I hope the CEH is reading this comment), is present ONLY in exhaled breath (even in normal exhaled breath), but not in e-cigarette aerosol.

I wonder why he failed to notice that isoprene is produced by human body and Isoprene is the most abundant hydrocarbon measurable in the breath of humans

Isoprene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why am I writing this? Just to show that e-cig science and e-cig quasi-scientific propaganda are two different animals.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
? What I was talking about was just reading comprehension.

Did not mean to muddle

Thought processes over time. A moment lost = a varied understanding and change in comprehension. Often good to spend more time revisiting to fully comprehend before attempting a response. Reality changes moment to moment.
Seems all scientist are susceptible. They get to self absorbed.

Age has its disadvantages :(
R.I.F

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Did not mean to muddle

Thought processes over time. A moment lost = a varied understanding and change in comprehension. Often good to spend more time revisiting to fully comprehend before attempting a response. Reality changes moment to moment.
Seems all scientist are susceptible. They get to self absorbed.

Age has its disadvantages :(
R.I.F
A bit tough piece to me (reading comprehension of English as a second language).
May be my current reply is not on the point, but I just want to clarify that my previous mention of reading comprehension was not about you but about Dr. Farsalinos.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A bit tough piece to me (reading comprehension of English as a second language).
May be my current reply is not on the point, but I just want to clarify that my previous mention of reading comprehension was not about you but about Dr. Farsalinos.

No,no. More like I am Blue collar and by nature have less understanding of the Technical side of things.
However, I do understand your point of contention. People often get so caught up in presenting or responding to a presentation they miss key elements making any presentation truly valid.
:D

Last edited:

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
Obviously Dr. had failed to notice that original research was not about breath exhaled after draw, but breath exhaled after 30 minutes after smoking/vaping (checking for residual effects).
Do you have a link to the original research? The link you provided only shows the abstract and says nothing about "breath exhaled after 30 minutes after smoking/vaping".

Another example. Dr. Farsalinos had written:

As I said, not all VOCs are toxic but, interestingly, there were cases of toxic compounds present in the exhaled breath but not in the e-cigarette aerosol. For example, isoprene, which is listed as a carcinogenic compound in California Proposition 65 (I hope the CEH is reading this comment), is present ONLY in exhaled breath (even in normal exhaled breath), but not in e-cigarette aerosol.

I wonder why he failed to notice that isoprene is produced by human body and Isoprene is the most abundant hydrocarbon measurable in the breath of humans

Isoprene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wonder why you failed to notice that isoprene is considered to be carcinogenic. ;)
Inhalation toxicity and carcinogenicity of isoprene in rats and mice: comparisons with 1,3-butadiene. - PubMed - NCBI

Comparative carcinogenicity of 1,3-butadiene, isoprene, and chloroprene in rats and mice. - PubMed - NCBI

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/lt_rpts/tr486.pdf

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Do you have a link to the original research? The link you provided only shows the abstract and says nothing about "breath exhaled after 30 minutes after smoking/vaping".
Then it looks like my library have subscription on the journal, but without subscription you see only abstract. OK, there is a piece from original research:

2.2. Sampling
Exhaled breath was sampled with a Bio-VOC system 30 min after tobacco cigarette or e-cigarette smoking. To avoid metabolic differences all volunteers were asked to smoke with the tobacco cigarettes and Type 1 and 2 e-cigarettes considered in this study. People inspired and expired deeply three times, then retained the breath for 20 s and blew into the Bio-VOC body through a disposable cardboard mouthpiece at their highest capacity.
I wonder why you failed to notice that isoprene is considered to be carcinogenic. ;)
Sorry, but I did not failed. I said that isoprene is produced by body and is exhaled in rather big quantities (and Dr. Farsalinos failed to notice that). Go figure... Body is generating carcinogen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread