New Ego T tanks fix leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjradik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Columbia, MD
I believe Vicky @ cignot has a video showing spike cleaning/adjusting, but so far on the 'b's I haven't had to touch the spikes.
Yea, I've seen that vid and also her sunday kitchen one too where the whole atty gets taken apart/cleaned. My thinking is, why go through all that trouble for maintenenace, especially if atty's are only $8-$10 each. The atty that I 'refreshed' with rubbing alchohol has been in non-stop use for 6 weeks now, going on 7. The only maintenenace i do on it, is blow out extra juice every day or refill, and I might run some water through it every week or two. Thats it, and 6 weeks later, after a refresh, still kicking. Who said attys only last a couple weeks. Every atty I've had, which wasn't DOA has been 4-8+ week life span, and I vape 3-4mls a day.

Caseyjp

Aug 23, 2011
A, A
I'm seeing similar results with my 'b' tanks. My guess is that in the last several months, joye has made some under the hood improvements to both spike and wick....without yanking stuff apart, I can't say for sure, but comparing forum posts from release to what we're dealing with now, there are huge performance and usage improvements, especially with the 'b' tanks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think the Ego-T concept is sound but the leak/flood factor and the wicking issues need to be addressed. Periodic cleaning will always be necessary because juices tend to burn and coat the coil. Someday, a teflon like (safe) coil material will be developed and a simple wash will be all that's necessary. That leaves the wicking problem. The fibers separate, migrate, become gummy, and need cleaning and re-twisting of the unraveled strands.

I guess we are still in the early stages of the evolution of ecigs. I always think there's much more technology to come.

Caseyjp

Aug 23, 2011
A, A
I think the Ego-T concept is sound but the leak/flood factor and the wicking issues need to be addressed. Periodic cleaning will always be necessary because juices tend to burn and coat the coil. Someday, a teflon like (safe) coil material will be developed and a simple wash will be all that's necessary. That leaves the wicking problem. The fibers separate, migrate, become gummy, and need cleaning and re-twisting of the unraveled strands.

I guess we are still in the early stages of the evolution of ecigs. I always think there's much more technology to come.

While I agree with the overall 'gist' of your post, I sit here going: "What leaking? What flooding?" I am currently rolling with four ego-t LR "b"s, of which 3 are older than 2+weeks of use, and one LR-a tank that is now on week 6+, and other than ONE leak due to a cracked tank cap, these attys are hitting BETTER now than they did when I first put em' in use. The LR-a had a wick issue (dry hits) that I fixed with a needle poke to push down the wick a smidge. The 'b's have been flawless.

I've only cleaned one of the b tanks in that time using a cheap vodka bath for one day with a turkey baster distilled water rinse.

Of course I only use 70/30pg/vg blends and avoid cinnamon or dark juices like the plague, so this might be part of my success with this gear. (Anything that can MELT poly-carbonate does not get put in my lungs. Not gonna happen....and dark juices frack up just about every device sooner than later.)

Personally I think that forum reports greatly exaggerate the issues of ANY of these devices (whether it be ego or joe-dude's aunt jemima bottle tank mod). Why? 95% of folks don't bother with forums. They either like what they've got, or get something else. While forums are a great tool, they can over emphasize good/bad as folks who take the time to register/post/read are going to be more vocal about stuff. (counting myself in this crowd. :laugh: )
Ego gear is on 90% of these e-cig sites because the stuff is convenient, cheap and generally just works.

One of my regular cab customers just got his ego-t 'a' gear and last night was happily smelling up my car with blueberry waffles and just RAVING about it. So go figure. ;-)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I like the tank concept and the leaking I talked about was the frequent flooding at the end of a tank. I sometimes forget to refill when it's about 1/4 from empty and end up with a pocketful of juice.

My theory on the flooding issue is one of design. The tank holds the juice in when inverted because air would have to enter the tank for displacement to occur. This happens when you vape and wick some juice out of the tank. As the bubble grows, it becomes more elastic and toward the end, the large bubble can bounce and elongate, letting juice out through the wick and through the battery vents, right into your hand or pocket. It's worse when you are walking and the ecig is in your pocket. If you put it in your pocket with the battery end up, the bowl empties and eventually leakage occurs there.

Around the house, it's not a problem since you can lay it down or stand it on battery end and not bounce it around so much.

Last edited:
OK, I think it is time to update everyone on the silicone caps. I got them 4 days ago and am using them exclusively on the B-tanks that I have. I have tanks from two different suppliers. I have not seen one leak in four days. I notice that when I filled one so much that there wasn't any air left in the tank at all, it hit kind of dry and burnt. Took out a little and it was back to perfection. I have drained the tanks to almost nothing left and no leaks. Like DaveP I noticed that I could almost completely eliminate the leaking with the original hard caps if I refilled the tank before it go much below half full. Now with these silicone caps they just don't seem to leak. I will follow up, but I would say that I now have the system I was looking for. The ego-T with silicon caps works great. No problems at all.

As I mentioned in an earlier update I also tried the SmokTech transparent, 4ml, low resistance, dual coil cartomizers for the Ego that I got from MadVapes. They are cheap and they work great. A little more taste out of the liquid and a stronger TH. Could it be less vapor than with the standard Ego-T? I think so. Maybe I like the smoother, lighter taste that comes from the Ego tank and atomizer. They are still my favorite, but I will also be using the SmokTech cartos. They are cheap, easy, and hold a lot of liquid. PBasarro (sp?) put out a great video on how to clean the SmokTech cartos.

I finally have what I was looking for. A great, all day, vaping experience in a dependable, (non-leaking), and discrete device. With these fixes the Ego kit is still the best every day vape. Yes I like higher voltage, but I don't want to carry around my Big Kazoo with a tankinator around the office. That is where the Ego comes in.

Thanks again to all for their comments.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I used the T for about 2 months before getting hooked on drip tips cartomizers. In that time, I had 1 leak, and that was because I would always keep 2 attys loaded with full tanks, one I was using, and one in my carrying case. The one in the case decided that it wasn't going to hold the liquid in after sitting there - unused - for a good week and a half.

-X

Caseyjp

Aug 23, 2011
A, A
I like the tank concept and the leaking I talked about was the frequent flooding at the end of a tank. I sometimes forget to refill when it's about 1/4 from empty and end up with a pocketful of juice.

My theory on the flooding issue is one of design. The tank holds the juice in when inverted because air would have to enter the tank for displacement to occur. This happens when you vape and wick some juice out of the tank. As the bubble grows, it becomes more elastic and toward the end, the large bubble can bounce and elongate, letting juice out through the wick and through the battery vents, right into your hand or pocket. It's worse when you are walking and the ecig is in your pocket. If you put it in your pocket with the battery end up, the bowl empties and eventually leakage occurs there.

Around the house, it's not a problem since you can lay it down or stand it on battery end and not bounce it around so much.

Again, I'd have to disagree, as that air bubble scenario would have been caught immediately by joyetech in the early design stages.

The ONLY way a tank is going to leak as you described is to have another means of 'venting'...and that would be a crack on the cap allowing air to flow, a torn center hole allowing juice to overflow, or an improperly placed wick in the spike which ALSO allows too much airflow.

The air bubble in the tank is NOT going to cause what you are suggesting. And in practice I know its not so as I drain my tanks to the last drop before changing em' out/refilling, and have had not one issue other than a cracked cap leak once a couple weeks ago. The silicone caps have a better seal at the edges and don't crack/wear out like the hard caps do.

With production improvements made over the course of this product's life, the less likely there is going to be a wicking issue to cause the leaks. And even the hard plastic caps don't tend to start buggering up until after they've been popped on and off a few times.

Almost forgot...I'm using my ego-t's in my taxi, and they get bumped, pocketed, jounced and dropped on the floor of the car all the time. No leaks.

Caseyjp

Aug 23, 2011
A, A
I used the T for about 2 months before getting hooked on drip tips cartomizers. In that time, I had 1 leak, and that was because I would always keep 2 attys loaded with full tanks, one I was using, and one in my carrying case. The one in the case decided that it wasn't going to hold the liquid in after sitting there - unused - for a good week and a half.

-X

And that is why on my spare tanks, I NEVER toss the shipping condom that comes with em. Plug that on the end (whether the tank has been spiked already or not), and viola'! no leaks with the stored juice.

The one caveat to all of this of course, would be....is it cinnamon juice? :laugh:

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Hello All,

I like the Ego-T system for my everyday vape because it is easy, convenient, and discrete for use at work and out in the world. My only complaint is that occassionally the tank just cuts loose and leaks into my hand through the battery and atomizer interface. I see friends wrap their Ego-T in tissue or napkins to avoid getting it everywhere.

Recently I ordered a Ego-T (standard not mega) kit from ExtremeVapor.com and it came with a new difference. The hard plastic end cap that seals the tank is usually made from the same hard plastic material that is used to make the tank. This new kit came with end caps made of a soft, rubber like material (Eurethane ?). It was obvious that this material would form a better seal around the spike that punctures the end cap. More like an o-ring. I gave this kit to a friend that was trying to quit the analogs. So far, from what he reports, NO LEAKS.

This is the solution I have been looking for. I will inquire with Extreme Vapor to find out if they also make this type of tank in the Mega size for my Mega Ego-T. I plan to order more of these types of tanks. I am just wondering if anyone else has discovered this difference. I originally found Extreme Vapor because they had a lower price for the Ego-T sytem (I think $49.00 plus about $10.00 shipping).

Has anyone else discovered these unique rubbery caps and what is your experience?

Soft caps can become deformed, leading to choking on the mouthcap. Mouth pieces should be made out of hard plastic. Try a JOYE 510 tank. Like the 510 carto, it has no sharp edges. Very good workmanship.

HTH,
Dave

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
I've said it previously in this thread but Healthcabin sells the caps for like $1 for 10. Then Healthcabin has coupons so it comes out less than a dime per cap. I bought a lot and just throw them away after a few uses. They sell the tanks super cheap as well. I also throw them away when they are worn.

I do agree with the 510-T recommendation. I do like those as well. However, personally, the tank capacity (biggest ones I have is .7ml) means I have to carry around filled tanks. With a Type B (2ml) that is enough juice to get me through a work day.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I've said it previously in this thread but Healthcabin sells the caps for like $1 for 10. Then Healthcabin has coupons so it comes out less than a dime per cap. I bought a lot and just throw them away after a few uses. They sell the tanks super cheap as well. I also throw them away when they are worn.

I do agree with the 510-T recommendation. I do like those as well. However, personally, the tank capacity (biggest ones I have is .7ml) means I have to carry around filled tanks. With a Type B (2ml) that is enough juice to get me through a work day.

I agree with your observation about the small capacity of the 510-T. I wouldn't count on it being the only type of ecig I need to carry. I just use the T for Doppio Espress so there is a lot less clogging than my normal carto. I am out of Doppio Espresso right now :( I might to assemble two with the tanks tomorrow.

Dave

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Haven't visited general forum much lately but did see this thread and it validates what I had recently found - the silicone/softer tips stop leaks on the eGo-t's. Here's a cut and paste from a PM to a friend on it....

'I have some updates on eGo T's I was going to post on 'dangerous' but don't know if it's the right place and giving some things a bit more time - the silicone caps - seem to be working well. I never had much 'leak' problems for quite a while but in the last month, they started showing up. While I've soaked some attys and took one apart 'just to see' I haven't done that 'deep cleaning' mainly because I hadn't had problems but they started and I got some of the silicone caps that Vicky sells and they stopped the leaks...'

Vicky being cignot.... So far the new caps are working well. One thing I've noticed was that I was using Vicky's thin tipped bottles to fill through the hole and now the seal is so tight that it pops the top off in some instances. So I've just been popping the caps off to fill - not a problem. If you're filling with a syringe you won't have a problem. But the seal is tight and I favor the punch out of the sealed hole as one poster has suggested. I had one cap (the first one) that already had a hole in it??? and it begam to leak so I changed it out. I didn't inspect it to see if it was torn - still wasn't sure if they were going to work, but haven't had one problem since. Note - I was one of the lucky ones that never had leak problems going back to December of 2010 but only in the last month did I start to have that problem.

One other thing on the eGo-t - and much of this depends on flavor and wattage, but I'm preferring the regular volt 3.2/3.4v Joye batts vs. the Riva SE which are 3.7v with the regular joye B type attys (2.1-2.2 ohms) It seems the hotter Riva batt made the leaks worse when I was having them and also tends to burn the ejuice. Again ymmv depending on flavors....

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
this is probably a really stupid question... but until now i haven't done much research on ego's...

can you put a tank setup on any ego?

Yes. You just need the tank attys and tanks. If you want to try them out, highly suggest going to the B type/cylinder atty and tanks and picking up the silicone caps that fit them. Available at various places - I got mine from cignot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread