neutralizing nicotine spill. clean pet baby safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganvap

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
usa
I saved an abandoned cat that I might keep or put up for adoption. I almost always put my rda down with it's single air hole facing upward but sometimes juice gets on the carpet etc. I only vape like 10mg but that might be much more than like 100mg to a 15lb cat, and cats are always licking their fur.

I tried searching but found nothing. Does anyone know of a solution or chemical or something that can actually neutralize nicotine? I know I can soak it up from a carpet or upholstery but I'm afraid some will remain.

How much does it actually take to get a small cat/dog sick and possibly die?
Nicotine poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wiki says the lower limit is only 1mg per kg (kg =2.2 lbs) in children (less than a cigarette's worth if eaten and all is absorbed) and about twice that for adults. A milliliter is about 20 drops from a dropper tube. If the e liquid is 20mg/ml, then each drop has 1mg of nicotine. If a cat's 15lbs, it would only need about 7 drops to get them sick and possibly die if they have the same toxicity ratio as a child according to this.

But Wiki then says "The LD[SIZE=-1]50[/SIZE] (median lethal dose) of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 0.5-1.0 mg/kg can be a lethal dosage for adult humans, and 0.1 mg/kg for children.[10][15] However the widely used human LD50 estimate of 0.5–1.0 mg/kg was questioned in a 2013 review, in light of several documented cases of humans surviving much higher doses; the 2013 review suggests that the lower limit causing fatal outcomes is 500–1000 mg of ingested nicotine, corresponding to 6.5–13 mg/kg orally.[16] Nicotine therefore has a high toxicity in comparison to many other alkaloids such as Caffeine, which has an LD50 of 127 mg/kg when administered to mice"

It says mice and especially rats have a much higher tolerance to nicotine than humans, so cats and dogs could be anything (what is the point again of testing on animals if it doesn't even pertain to human physiology)? Note that the LD[SIZE=-1]50[/SIZE] (median lethal dose) for humans is said to be estimated at only .5-1 mg/kg for adults. If a person is 150lbs (68 kg), and if you use the median of .75mg/kg (.5-1 mg/kg) then they would need to ingest .75 mg for each kg of their full 68kb body = roughly 51mg. So if the e juice is 20mg per ml, then it would only take 3 ml (a full protank of 20mg juice) ingested to potentially kill a 150lb person. Also note that nicotine is possibly absorbed through the skin as easily. I can imagine someone falling asleep with a dropper bottle in their pocket, having it leak and then sleeping in it as it absorbs.

But then it says those results are likely innacurate and that instead of .5-1 mg/kg for adults, it's more like 6.5-13 which is approx drinking a 10 full protanks or a 30ml bottle of 20mg/ml. Either way, I would treat it as the stronger claim even though some cloud chasers can probably vape 3ml in 5 hits in 3 minutes although supposedly most of it isn't absorbed vaping.

VS smoking, it's not the actual vaping that most of us know isn't worse like the bans are trying to impose, but nicotine base is scary stuff, I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars for them to make it that only diluted 36mg was the max available, I'd be fine with 15mg max but I know some vape 36mg. I keep my nic base locked away and draw skull and cross bones and warnings on them. This is the problem I see with e juice, is that anyone can buy a jug of 100mg, or spill 24mg on an airplane seat or hotel bed where a baby might sit next.
Sure, a small dose of certain household cleaners/products can be as fatal if not more, but some people treat nic base with less care, use it much more often, get it on clothes etc, and creates more curiosity for young children to mess around with vs household cleaners. This and the flavoring, especially a high % of flavoring in the mix, they will probably test the dirtiest flavors they can find with a high % in the mix to build a case against all of vaping while some vapers use very little flavor, PG-free, and low nic. I can imagine like a drunk party of kids like 'take a shot of this! I vaped a whole 30ml the other day and I was fine, so it's safe".

Last edited:

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I think you can solve this problem with common sense. Cleaning it up with a cleaner or even your vinegar solution will remove the liquid and eliminate the concern. If anything is left behind, the trace/minute amounts will not be harmful.

If you have a large spill I would recommend barring your pets from the area until you can use a carpet cleaner machine on it.

Little droplets/small accidents...just clean it up and move on.

Rwb1500

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
South Central PA
Step 1; Build massive stovetop coil, I'm talking the size of a dinner plate.

Step 2; Attach to high powered mod of your choice. 100 watts or so should probably do the trick. (Know your amp draw, battery limitations, etc. :thumb:)

Step 3; Thread carpet wick around coil, be sure not to choke the coil, but also get good contact.

Step 4; Grab your favorite drip tip. (Wide bore recommended.)

Step 5; Vape away! You'll neutralize all the nicotine into tasty vapor!

Please don't really do this. It's a joke.

Last edited:

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
In all seriousness, I have three cats and none of them have shown any interest in licking at spots where nicotine has spilled. I generally just blot small spots on my chair arm or rug, and wipe it up from any hard surfaces. After a year of my being a klutz and having nicotine in the house they're all still alive. Though sometimes it is hard to tell.:D mattress cats.jpg

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
that will actually neutralize it or just help clean it? I normally don't buy stuff like 409, would something like vinegar or %90 rubbing alcohol work?

Blot the area as much as possible with a paper towel. Nicotine actually loses potency as it evaporates.

Clean the area thoroughly with whatever cleaning agent you prefer and allow it to dry completely. Just keep the kitten away from the area as much as possible.

Honestly, the propylene glycol in the ejuice will be just as much a hazard to the kitten as the nicotine will be.

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
that will actually neutralize it or just help clean it? I normally don't buy stuff like 409, would something like vinegar or %90 rubbing alcohol work?

Yes on 90% rubbing alcohol, then copious amounts of water and it will be fine.

If you have a wet-vac it will save you tons of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread