Need your input on mod selling!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Some of you may not know this but the original(and current) plan of MadVapes was to help people sell mods as well as supply parts to help you build mods.. We've done a pretty good job at coming up with parts with more on the way :) but have struggled with the 'helping you sell' part..

First I'd like to know if you'd like to see custom built mods available on MadVapes?

And secondly as a mod builder, if you would find the following plan attractive and it would provide an incentive for you to want to sell your mod(s) on MadVapes..

This is highlights of what I hope will become a great solution:

• Provide a category with your name, screen name, company name or whatever under the currently hidden 'custom mods' category.
Custom Mods
Mods By MadVapes
Mods by Pickles

etc...
  • Provide an item page for each mod you want to sell. The page content needs to fit into the page style of an item detail page on MadVapes. Links to external sites with more informtion are allowable up to eight pictures and a reasonable amount of text are allowable.
  • An email is listed where customers can contact you with sales and support questions.
  • MadVapes has a disclaimer on the footer of each mod page mod that states that that all support is provided by you and that the item ships seperately from you. (we can work alternatives here if needed)
  • When an order is placed, you are notified with the order details.
  • You must provide an eta of when the item will ship in your listing.
  • You pay for shipping the item to the customer, this can be included in the price of the item and is typically $5 or less.
  • You provide us with the tracking number when the item is shipped so it can be placed on the order for the buyer to see through the order history screen.
  • MadVapes keeps 15% commission of the item's sale price. Approximately 10% of this goes to costs associated with selling and advertising the item. The other 5% goes to cover potential issues..
  • Funds for the sale of the item are sent to you via paypal or other means after the item has shipped and you provide us with a tracking #.
  • Warranty period is defined by you and put in the product description.
  • Warranty and other customer issues are handled by you.
That's about as far as I've thought it out so far.. Returns are the biggest issue that I haven't resolved yet..

As you can see MadVapes would really not make any profit on this. It would be more of a service to finally 'help you sell mods', finally :)

We truly believe it would be an excellent alternative to setting up a web page, classifieds, or whatever. but that's why I'm asking to see if it sounds like a good plan or not..

I really like the safety list put together by Rolygate for mods and would like to see mods incorporate at least the basics of the reccomendations, no unprotected batteries, master on/off switch etc..

You can read it here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...es/77710-basic-safety-specification-mods.html

Would appreciate comments from both buyers and sellers.

thanks, hoog.

Last edited:

ECCO

Feb 7, 2010
NH
I don't have much to say this, but I have to say that I respect you and your operation even more now. You've already become my go-to company for supplies, and your stock and willingness to help has even gotten me to start planning to make my own mods, which is something I never intended to do (or ever thought I would know enough about to do). Now that something like this on the table, whether it happens or not, it makes me appreciate you and your work even more. People that do the things you do don't come by that often; so seriously, thanks for everything you do for all of us.

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
I personally Love the Idea. But have this as a concern. :thumbs:

Wouldn`t we then become seller/Suppliers set forth by the forum rules? And have to register? :mad:

I have the utmost respect for you Hoogie. Everything you do seems to be for us. I admire you and wish nothing but happiness for you and your family.:wub:

I would do this as a supplier by the way if need be.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com

Wouldn`t we then become seller/Suppliers set forth by the forum rules? And have to register? :mad:

I have the utmost respect for you Hoogie. Everything you do seems to be for us. I admire you and wish nothing but happiness for you and your family.:wub:

they are already registered and an approved seller. no need to promote the selling of mods on the forum, per se. I dont see a problem with a seller selling whatever they want to see on their own website..

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
thanks connman..

Excellent point and one that j0ker just brought up to me also..

For every idea, there is a solution..

These are just thoughts and I think the valid concern of ecf is that people would go wild promoting thier mods everywhere.

The ony real association with ecf is screen name and advertising limitations are already defined by ecf rules.

Goin on doots thought, 'Generic' Mods available here type posts started by MadVapes in the MadVapes forum would not break any ecf rules..

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
What Connman has brought up is a concern we will be discussing. To be honest I like the idea hoogie has.

To answer your question doots, I believe Connman is referring to the individual who will actually be making the mod. These mostly will be regular members on the forum and will not be registered as a supplier. To go a step further and complicate even more, they could also be considered supplier associates and be bound by the same rules as a supplier. I feel most members aren't going to want this. The definition of a supplier is pretty simple and surely you can see why a modder selling mods through any website would be considered a supplier.

This isn't done and decided and probably won't be tonight. We'll have a decision as soon as we can.

Thanks,
j0ker

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
I'm going to get real selfish here--

My main concern is that madvapes continues to prosper and have interesting stock of goodies available for us--especially the beginners or the ones just barely starting to grow some hair as modders. That's primary.

This is a great move to build even more good will, which your company already has quite a few under the belt due to the great way you do business and your how-to pages.

As long as there's no negative splashback to you I'm ok with the idea. Not sure how much you browse through the forum but I believe Iken of Ikenvape has or had a similar plan where mods constructed by ecf/other forum members were sold. I didn't keep up so I'm not sure of the status of that plan, whether it was a success for the vendor and modders or not, and whether it was worth it timewise for him, apart from the experience of trying such a program.

ECCO

Feb 7, 2010
NH
wow, thanks ecco, really apreciate the kind words!! hoog

No problem at all, you've earned them all. It wasn't that long ago when building even a simple box mod took took at least 3 different suppliers and a lot of trial and error. You've not only made it easier to get almost everything a first-timer needs in one place, your tutorials and the help you offer on the boards have made it easier for people really wet behind the ears to build them on their own. That's a huge help to the community, and a real money saver (at least until the mod habit takes on a life of it's own; even then, building a mod is always cheaper and more fun than buying them). I remember when 5v vaping was an easy $100 or an engineering degree affair. Now, for a few hours worth of learning and playing around, and less than $20 out of pocket with batteries, anyone can do it. That's pretty cool, if you ask me. And now to try to help other people potentially make money with their hard work and creativity, and to get some real innovation (in both design and execution) floating around the PV community? Yeah, I think you earned all of the good words that come your way.

KarrMcDebt

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Corvallis, Oregon, United States
I like the idea, if the obsticles could be overcome. I'm not currently looking for a market for my mods, I'm not proficient enough yet and my focus is realy experimentation, but its not unlikely that I'd end up with spares to turn loose of.

A guy can only have so many mods,....I haven't found that number yet, but I'm sure it exists,....somewhere.

KarrMcDebt

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
Firstly... I, as I'm sure everyone else here.... is in total agreement with ECCO.

And this is a fascinating idea you have Hoogie! Not just for the Modders but for those shopping Mods too. It would be like an artist's listing... a museum of sorts. The Mod Museum! Talk about a one stop shop!

However... I'm a terrible business person... so I'll just listen to what others have to say and re-read your post after I get myself a nap. ;)

CartHeadMod

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Holland, Michigan

I would do this as a supplier by the way if need be.

presently you have registered suppliers with websites offering JOYE 510s.....that doesn't make JOYE a supplier under the forum rules.....

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
I would actually think it would make the mod builders Supplier Manufacturers wouldn't it?
------

As to the OP:

Kudos to hoog for offering to do this for the mod builders out there.

While I understand the concept of doing it the way you have stated, and the reasons behind it, I would personally think it would be better if it were set up where the modders needed to build however many they wished to and then send them to you before beginning to sell. This would allow for a few safety measures of sorts. First and foremost in my mind would be the fact that you would have the chance to inspect the quality of the product that you are associating yourself with. It would avoid the problem that we have seen other things running into of selling more than what is available. And it would benefit either the customer in the form of being able to place an order for one of these mods along with some of your products without having to pay double shipping costs OR benefit the modders in that they could bump the price of their mod up a few dollars more since people wouldn't be paying the second shipping cost.

I would think that a consignment setup such as that would benefit everyone involved from the customers to the modders and yourself.

And of course the main thing.... that there are some original mods for sale. Seeing many different mods with the modders own touch to them would be great as long as you don't have a couple dozen modders selling the most basic possible box mod that can be made.

dreams n chains

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Florida
Just gotta say... Love Thys idea! The mods are there.... one shipping cost... brousing mods as you brouse other items, you know you'll get it because it's there, it's reality already. And anyone here knows Hoogie is more than honest and trustworthy. Make your mods... send them to MadVapes... see if they sell. Sounds beautiful if it is workable to MadVapes.

Seems like it would work, right? Hoogie has to buy his supplies and sell them.... modders would just send him their "supplies" and get a payment later.

Love it!

Edit to add: I'm with Natura...... any of the mods I make cost a bazzillion dollars too!!! LoL@Natura!

Last edited:

WhatAClumsyGirl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2009
Mtns of Tennessee
Is there a " cap" on the amount of supplies/mod's someone can sell before they are required to be a " supplier" or " whateverelseyahavetacallit".

I've bought and sold alot of items in the classifieds. I buy mod's and devices on a regular basis, decide it's not for me and sell it....and was wondering what the number actually would be before I was slung in the supplier catagory.

What if these modder's stayed " under the cap" number for each month ?

Set a number of units that can be sold by one person a month...if it's 5, 3 or 10...

Wouldnt that work ?

Last edited:

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
I'm in.. All I need to get started are:

100 plastic Mad Vapes flashlights (varous colors of course)
100 steel washers, the size of the lense
200 510 connectors (I use the center post from a connector to extend the positive post to the battery. lol)
1 quart of epoxy
1 spool of solder
And finally, a weeks vacation from work :lol:

You can get my mailing address from your site.. lol

All kidding aside.. (or was I kidding?)

I agree with the things that have been pointed out so far. I think this is a good idea, I just don't know how feasable it will be. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread