Need some thoughts and opinions, planning out my first dripper setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

erotikpanda

Moved On
Nov 3, 2013
U.K.
Hello all,

I wanted to get some general advise and opinions on RDAs.
Basically, I've been vaping with my Nemesis and kayfun for a couple of months now and my itch to get something new is back. I've been wanting to get into drippers but can't make my mind up to be honest.

Here is how I have it made up in my mind, and I can't really decide what is the best choice.

1 - Get a quality/high end dripper like Patriot, Trident, Atty by Tobh, etc. and just throw it onto my Nemesis whenever I'm home (I do plan to be dripping only at home, it seems a little bothersome to drip on the go, although I do know that a few people do it)

2 - Get an Igo-w3 and a simple tube mod (maybe assemble a nemesis from an alum tube and brass button and top cap)

3 - Get a Ti bagua from classes on one forum and pair it with KFL+, leaving Nemesis for the dripping fun (again something like igo-w3 or igo-w with a clear cap)

All in all, first choice seems to be the least expensive coming out to be somewhere in a 60-70$ range, second choice is roughly 180-200$ and the last one is somewhere in the 220-240$ range (all the prices include a pair of 30a Sonys)

Any input is appreciated!

evgeny131

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2013
Los Angeles
The Greek Mechanical Collection:
Just GG Brass + Ithaka, Poldiac Full Satin +SQuape, Poldiac UMA + Taifun GT, Naval Brass 69 + Trident, 69 SS + 3D Dripper, Nemesis Mixed Matte + Aqua, Nemesis Kalafan + Kayfun Lite Plus
KsNKXZU.jpg

Full Collection:
King SS + Kayfun 3.1 ES Delta, Just GG Brass + Ithaka, Poldiac Full Satin +SQuape, Poldiac UMA + Taifun GT, Naval Brass 69 + Trident, 69 SS + 3D Dripper, Nemesis Mixed Matte + Aqua, Nemesis Kalafan + Kayfun Lite Plus, Full Brass Chi You/Flat Cap/Engraved Tube + Trident V2, BaGua SS + Kayfun 2.1 Mini
fAea1EP.jpg

thenebulous

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Central/Jersey Shore, NJ
I've been doing a crap load of research over this past week and I'm usually great at breaking things down to low price and high quality. So with the help of others what I've settled on is the Trident. I saw a clone on eBay for only $17.50 and the Trident V2 clone for $33.... argh, I simply can't decide to pay double for the V2 or settle on the V1 for now.

Exile

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Dallas,Tx
I dont see paying $100-$200 for an authentic Mod/RBA when the clones are just as good for a 1/4 of the price...

I've been doing a crap load of research over this past week and I'm usually great at breaking things down to low price and high quality. So with the help of others what I've settled on is the Trident. I saw a clone on eBay for only $17.50 and the Trident V2 clone for $33.... argh, I simply can't decide to pay double for the V2 or settle on the V1 for now.

Trident V2 clone for $16.99
Trident v2 RDA Stainless Steel Replica

Trident V1 clone for $16.47
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005256/1418702-trident-stainless-steel-rebuildable-atomizer

Trident V12 clone for $5.93 (single airflow hole)
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004437/1439600-v12-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Trident clones from FT are decent. So are the FT Nimbus clones.
If you order from FT, you really can't go wrong with the King Mod Clone.
I have a Stainless one and a brass one.
They are one of the best made mods available for the price.
$26.
I never have to fiddle with the button or adjusting this throughout the day.
It's a no-excuses mod for under $30.
What's not to like?

erotikpanda

Moved On
Nov 3, 2013
U.K.
thanks for all the input, I did make up my mind pretty much.

i'm not interested in clones, don't want to engage into clone discussion, everyone is entitled to whatever the deem fit, personally i'd rather not buy it than buy a fake/clone, and it's not snobist of me either, i just don't believe in clones, if I can't afford it I just wait and save up for when I can. Moreover, it's not only about the performance, it's about disrespect to the designer, Michalis from atmomixani dedicated his time and money developing and creating the Nemesis, and I was prepared to pay the money for that, as well as for the perfectly functioning mod that is yet to give me any issues.

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA

i'm not interested in clones, don't want to engage into clone discussion, everyone is entitled to whatever the deem fit, personally i'd rather not buy it than buy a fake/clone, and it's not snobist of me either, i just don't believe in clones, if I can't afford it I just wait and save up for when I can. Moreover, it's not only about the performance, it's about disrespect to the designer, Michalis from atmomixani dedicated his time and money developing and creating the Nemesis, and I was prepared to pay the money for that, as well as for the perfectly functioning mod that is yet to give me any issues.

THANK YOU. Ahh, ok, nothing more on that topic.

Ive become a dripper, nearly exclusively. If Im gonna be doing a lot of driving, Ill grab one of my iHybrids. Otherwise, Im drippin. I friggen lurv it. Subohm dual coils on a quality RDA has really become, FOR ME, the most enjoyable vaping experience yet on this lovely journey we call vaping.

ID say do this:

Get an RDA to use on your nemesis when you're at home, see how you like it, and then shop for a second mod, either for the RDA, or for the Kayfun.. that way you can spend less money off the bat.

RDAs to consider:

You know, I typed out a whole thing about a bunch of different attys, and realized, it was too long and pointless. Check these out:

Patriot
    Nimbus
    -These two are similar in that, they are both straight forward, triple post, nonadjustable airflow atomizers. I think the Nimbus MUST be drilled out to use subohm, but the Patriot, IMO, is just on the tight side, but not too tight that you can run subohm.(I do all day everyday with no problem) Patriot is 22mm, Nimbus is 20mm.

Omega
    Trident/Trident 2
    -Adjustable airflow, unique build design, great flavor from these guys, capable of huge clouds. Trident 1 and 2 allow you to use ribbon wire with ease, Omega can do it but its a little tricky. these are, IMO, flavor hounds. The omega has a unique design where you can sort of "float" the coils above the airholes, so the airflow comes from the bottom, which is generally agreed upon to produce the best flavor. Personal note: I think the Trident 1 is ugly as sin, I think the Trident 2 is shmexy.

Brass Monkey
    Helios
    -Both of these are adjustable airflow, AND, have double center posts, making the build process even easier. Building duals on this is SOOO easy, its almost asking you to do a quad build. The brass monkey is cool because you get two top caps, one with adjustable flow, and one brass cap with regular holes which could be drilled out. also, the overall internal chamber of the Brass monkey, is actually really tight, and the flavor from it, is intense and saturated.

There is lots of good atomizers these days.. honestly, if you ask me, you really can't wrong with 99% of them. I mean, any of the high end RDAs are going to be solid, because what really decides how well it works, is the build. Airflow can be modified, chamber size can be reduced on some of them with aftermarket top caps.. What is key, is the build. Which do you want to build on. Do you want to use ribbon wire? Really low gauge thick wire? Are you going to venture past duals into quads?

Hope this helps.

-If this is all just too much text and blah blah blah... Get the Patriot. Is a wonderful first RDA, and it will grow with you because of how much room there is too build and you can drill the airholes as you go along. Out of the box, its a great RDA, and its been one of my daily attys for a while now. Looks superb on a nemesis too.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2011
    The Reef just off the Florida coast
    i'm not interested in clones, ..., it's about disrespect to the designer, Michalis from atmomixani dedicated his time and money developing and creating the Nemesis, ...

But when it came time for artwork, Atomixani chose to just clone someone else's art (Death Angel by Anne Stokes). Talk about "disrespect to the designer". :facepalm:

So which bend on the metal battery tube did he design again?

erotikpanda

Moved On
    Nov 3, 2013
    U.K.
    THANK YOU. Ahh, ok, nothing more on that topic.

Ive become a dripper, nearly exclusively. If Im gonna be doing a lot of driving, Ill grab one of my iHybrids. Otherwise, Im drippin. I friggen lurv it. Subohm dual coils on a quality RDA has really become, FOR ME, the most enjoyable vaping experience yet on this lovely journey we call vaping.

ID say do this:

Get an RDA to use on your nemesis when you're at home, see how you like it, and then shop for a second mod, either for the RDA, or for the Kayfun.. that way you can spend less money off the bat.

RDAs to consider:

You know, I typed out a whole thing about a bunch of different attys, and realized, it was too long and pointless. Check these out:

Patriot
    Nimbus
    -These two are similar in that, they are both straight forward, triple post, nonadjustable airflow atomizers. I think the Nimbus MUST be drilled out to use subohm, but the Patriot, IMO, is just on the tight side, but not too tight that you can run subohm.(I do all day everyday with no problem) Patriot is 22mm, Nimbus is 20mm.

Omega
    Trident/Trident 2
    -Adjustable airflow, unique build design, great flavor from these guys, capable of huge clouds. Trident 1 and 2 allow you to use ribbon wire with ease, Omega can do it but its a little tricky. these are, IMO, flavor hounds. The omega has a unique design where you can sort of "float" the coils above the airholes, so the airflow comes from the bottom, which is generally agreed upon to produce the best flavor. Personal note: I think the Trident 1 is ugly as sin, I think the Trident 2 is shmexy.

Brass Monkey
    Helios
    -Both of these are adjustable airflow, AND, have double center posts, making the build process even easier. Building duals on this is SOOO easy, its almost asking you to do a quad build. The brass monkey is cool because you get two top caps, one with adjustable flow, and one brass cap with regular holes which could be drilled out. also, the overall internal chamber of the Brass monkey, is actually really tight, and the flavor from it, is intense and saturated.

There is lots of good atomizers these days.. honestly, if you ask me, you really can't wrong with 99% of them. I mean, any of the high end RDAs are going to be solid, because what really decides how well it works, is the build. Airflow can be modified, chamber size can be reduced on some of them with aftermarket top caps.. What is key, is the build. Which do you want to build on. Do you want to use ribbon wire? Really low gauge thick wire? Are you going to venture past duals into quads?

Hope this helps.

-If this is all just too much text and blah blah blah... Get the Patriot. Is a wonderful first RDA, and it will grow with you because of how much room there is too build and you can drill the airholes as you go along. Out of the box, its a great RDA, and its been one of my daily attys for a while now. Looks superb on a nemesis too.

thanks man, I really appreciate the advise and I read it all carefully, Ev helped out with advise on the topic in pas and your response coupled with his helped me made up my mind for sure, I'll be going with patriot I believe.

erotikpanda

Moved On
    Nov 3, 2013
    U.K.
    But when it came time for artwork, Atomixani chose to just clone someone else's art (Death Angel by Anne Stokes). Talk about "disrespect to the designer". :facepalm:

So which bend on the metal battery tube did he design again?

I would honestly love to explain how wrong you are, in so many ways, if I knew you'd actually read and understand but since you just want to have a silly forum argument where you will be throwing statements like: "just a 50c steel tube"; "anyone can do it"; "it's proven by NASA that both work the same"; I'd rather not, and let you believe whatever it is you feel like believing.

Again, I already said it above, each to their own - I gave you my personal opinion and take on clones through giving you my opinion and take on originals, I haven't compared performance, build or any other qualitative factors, I only said that I was prepared to pay the money for the original and that my original mod works perfectly well.

In fact you are the one who is jumping with criticism, half-arsed sarcasm and unresearched, nor proven, point of view.

Honestly, no reply necessary, I do not want to start a flame war and attract hundreds of clone fans to flood the thread, the topic was different and I believe I was within my right to mention my lack of interest in clones since I was requesting information on products I really don't need pointless opinions on clones.

Have a lovely day.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2011
    The Reef just off the Florida coast
    I would honestly love to explain how wrong you are, in so many ways, if I knew you'd actually read and understand ...

I would read it, and I would understand.

I am in agreement with you in the sense that neither of us like counterfeits. I do not like seeing these 1:1 copies of original works without royalties to the originator. The clone producers should focus on improving the original designs, and stop the logo theft. Your arguments in that regard, I'm sure, would be entirely valid.

It's just that you picked one of the few bad examples in mentioning your distaste of copies. The Nemesis sports non-original artwork without attribution, credit, or compensation to the original artist.

I'm not all about the support of clones. I believe original design should be left to originator unless explicitly placed in the public domain. You are an artist, Panda. Surely we must be in agreement here.

erotikpanda

Moved On
    Nov 3, 2013
    U.K.
    I would read it, and I would understand.

I am in agreement with you in the sense that neither of us like counterfeits. I do not like seeing these 1:1 copies of original works without royalties to the originator. The clone producers should focus on improving the original designs, and stop the logo theft. Your arguments in that regard, I'm sure, would be entirely valid.

It's just that you picked one of the few bad examples in mentioning your distaste of copies. The Nemesis sports non-original artwork without attribution, credit, or compensation to the original artist.

I'm not all about the support of clones. I believe original design should be left to originator unless explicitly placed in the public domain. You are an artist, Panda. Surely we must be in agreement here.

Ok well then, I misunderstood your stance, my apologies. It is just that every time, it seems, someone mentions they prefer originals to clones, there are 5-10 people who jump screaming obscene rubbish about price being unfair and etc etc without any regard for any other factors involved or anything else but their opinion.

Anyhow, with regards to Nemesis it's a bit of a tricky situation, I cannot safely state if Atmomixani paid, or otherwise, the artist of the Nemesis drawing since I have not seen the complaint nor a response to it (if there is such a thread where both the artist and Atmomixani engage, please direct me, I'd be interested to read up on it). However, as someone with a certain degree of knowledge in copyright and patent law, I can say a few things regarding possible copyright infringements.

If we dissect the situation a little bit:

1 - The image of a Nemesis from greek metrology took upon various forms and looks and therefore, unless there is a direct 1:1 copy, the situation gets complicated
    2 - Following the above, we look at the mod's logo, we can see the resemblance however no one can possibly state that it is identical, and in the sense of identical, in legal terms, it has to be actually identical.
    3 - It would be hard to prove that those are identical since, the lines vary, there is a huge difference in complexity and a number of elements are missing from the engraving, therefore we would have to establish the degree of variation - in percentages.
    4 - Here the test would be applied and possibly an expert would be requested in order to establish the percentage of alteration to the original piece, and if memory serves me right 20-25% of difference is enough to claim that the "copy" is an original work on its own.

These are just some basic terms, without going into depth really. Basically, if the artist, provided she was unpaid, decides to take Atmomixani to court, it will be a waste of money and time for her.

On one hand it can be seen unfair, on the other, it is not an exact copy, if we look at things all around us we will see the same happening on every corner, couple of examples of the top of my head - rolex submariner and the countless attempts by other watchmakers to make something to resemble without being called a copy, cars - i mean the attempts to bring the design of some mid sized sedan closer to the design of a the most popular model in that class is a constant occurrence and so on.

Regarding the art world, first of, I am flattered to be called an artist but I really am not one I just snap pictures of .... I like and so on, hardly am I creating art but thank you nonetheless. There is a colossal amount of ripping off and imitation going on in the art world, people flock to the popularity, when someone gets famous for one thing, everyone imitates to a point of absurdity to catch a bit of that 'trickle down effect' from someone else's popularity. It gets to a ridiculous extent to be honest, people blatantly copy to a dot, but claim that the colour of the tshirt on a model in their photo is different hence its original and etc., as far as ideas go that's even worse, people replicate all the time. People try to edit and process their photos in the same style someone popular does, by recreating presets in their editing program, honestly it gets silly. That's the reality however, unless you can prove with a high certainty that someone is gaining financially and directly infringing on your creative rights through it, the chances of getting justice are slim.

I hope the above makes some sense, if anything I'll clarify it later on, I'm half asleep still, spilled my coffee and gotten a nasty dry hit - need to go make new coffee and refill the tank hehe

el Jexican

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have both the Atomic RDA by MCV and the IGO-W. The Atomic, hands down, puts the IGO-W to shame as far as performance goes. If I build the same coil in them both the Atomic will be a more flavorful, warmer, and denser of a vape. It also has adjustable air flow so I can run a single coil set up without haveing to plug a air hole with something. Actually right now I'm running a twisted 28g microcoil that outperforms the dual micro coil set up in the IGO-W.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country

It's understandable to buy whatever you want.
    You asked for advice.
    In good conscience I cannot recommend paying 10x the cost of a flawless clone with excellent performance just to "support a Modder" who put their logo on their version of a mechanical vaporizer tube.

I was just giving you the best advice based on performance for your dollar.

By all means buy what you like. You are the one that gets to vape it not the others who comment.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    I just wanted to pop in to say that when I first wanted to try dripping, I started with the Smoktech Scar - no "cloning" involved, and for $6, I thought that was a no-brainer. A dripper for the cost of a cup of Starbucks? I'm in!

At the moment my favorite dripper is my Atomic, though. :2c:

erotikpanda

Moved On
    Nov 3, 2013
    U.K.
    It's understandable to buy whatever you want.
    You asked for advice.
    In good conscience I cannot recommend paying 10x the cost of a flawless clone with excellent performance just to "support a Modder" who put their logo on their version of a mechanical vaporizer tube.

I was just giving you the best advice based on performance for your dollar.

By all means buy what you like. You are the one that gets to vape it not the others who comment.

and as I said, thank you for all the input, it's my bad for not having mentioned my disinterest in clones, nevertheless all advise is helpful

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    If you wanna get on the preorder for one, it'll be coming out sometime in February.

Of course, im talking about the cartel Stillaire.

I freaking love this thing. Its probably between this, and the crown, for favorite atomizer if you asked me today. The Stillaire has probably the most unobstructed build deck of any Atty Ive built on, including the PAtriot. Awesome adjustable airflow, and fully open this thing is a wee little wind tunnel. Matched with the cartel drip tip, its a superb atomizer choice.

My love of this atomizer has finalized my decision to match it with a Cartel mod. Going to get on the next SS preorder, cuz brass isn't my first choice.

erotikpanda

Moved On
    Nov 3, 2013
    U.K.
    If you wanna get on the preorder for one, it'll be coming out sometime in February.

Of course, im talking about the cartel Stillaire.

I freaking love this thing. Its probably between this, and the crown, for favorite atomizer if you asked me today. The Stillaire has probably the most unobstructed build deck of any Atty Ive built on, including the PAtriot. Awesome adjustable airflow, and fully open this thing is a wee little wind tunnel. Matched with the cartel drip tip, its a superb atomizer choice.

My love of this atomizer has finalized my decision to match it with a Cartel mod. Going to get on the next SS preorder, cuz brass isn't my first choice.

sounds interesting, would you mind throwing a link to a pre-order, in the mean time i'll go youtube it and research a little more on it, in general

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread