NarDA Setup

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I put a 3mm ID Coil onto a piece of 3mm Rod Stock and then grip then Coil by squeezing the Coil Wraps to the Rod.

3mm SS Rod Stock

Then bend the Coil Legs to 90 Deg using a pair of 5" Flat Nose Pliers.

5" Flat Nose Pliers

It Helps to keep the Coil Tight if you Pull on the Coil Leg Slightly right before you do the 90 Degree Bend.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I’m having trouble setting up the SXK NarDA. The difficulty I have is bending the coil to 90 degrees so it can be wrapped around the screws. I am having trouble bending the coil without distorting or removing a wrap

7-18 Charlie Delta Niner.

• Haha
Reactions: smacuser

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
A way to remedy the bending of coil legs. A scrap piece of wood as an aid. Find a Phillips screwdriver to which the (factory coil?) coil slides on snugly. Once the coil is on the shaft, set the screwdriver on the wood, sliding it to the edge of the wood, so just before the leg nearest the handle is touching the wood. Drill a hole straight down into the wood, the diameter of the coil leg. This hole will be the anchor for the wire. While holding the wire, make the wraps around the shaft of the screwdriver, stopping the final wrap with the leg straight down like the first. Cut as needed.

I've never wrapped a coil.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ya know how when you are at the Grocery Store and you throw a Pack of Gum or Tin of Mints in with you stuff just for the Heck of It?

That's what I would do with these...

1708652910440.png

back when fasttech was around. I must have Eight or Nine Hundred coils in various Gauges and Ohms.

Probably more like 1,200. But having 1,200 Pre-Coiled Coils sounds Mildly Compulsive. So we'll just stick with 900.

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
I put a 3mm ID Coil onto a piece of 3mm Rod Stock and then grip then Coil by squeezing the Coil Wraps to the Rod.

3mm SS Rod Stock

Then bend the Coil Legs to 90 Deg using a pair of 5" Flat Nose Pliers.

5" Flat Nose Pliers

It Helps to keep the Coil Tight if you Pull on the Coil Leg Slightly right before you do the 90 Degree Bend.
I found this post right when I was struggling to bend coil legs, and it was a huge help, so thanks for that.

Ya know how when you are at the Grocery Store and you throw a Pack of Gum or Tin of Mints in with you stuff just for the Heck of It?

That's what I would do with these...

View attachment 1008591

back when Fasttech was around. I must have Eight or Nine Hundred Coils in various Gauges and Ohms.

Probably more like 1,200. But having 1,200 Pre-Coiled Coils sounds Mildly Compulsive. So we'll just stick with 900.
I feel better about my growing vape hoard the more I browse on here.

Seriously though, that makes sense. I can see how they'd be cheap, you'd add them to an order, and before you know it you're swimming in coils. Better to have too many than not enough.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I found this post right when I was struggling to bend coil legs, and it was a huge help, so thanks for that.

I feel better about my growing vape hoard the more I browse on here.

Seriously though, that makes sense. I can see how they'd be cheap, you'd add them to an order, and before you know it you're swimming in coils. Better to have too many than not enough.
Those Flat-Nose pliers come in Very Hand when working with small wire, Same Reach as say Needle-Nose pliers. But easier to grab with.

---

Yeah... Sometimes it was easier to just get another 50 Pack for like $1.98 than it was to spend 20 Minutes looking for the one that came on the last order.

BTW - Looks like I'm probably closer to 1,800 or so...

Pre-Coiled Coils.jpg

So Don't Feel Bad Splurging on your Next Order.

LOL

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
Those Flat-Nose pliers come in Very Hand when working with small wire, Same Reach as say Needle-Nose pliers. But easier to grab with.

---

Yeah... Sometimes it was easier to just get another 50 Pack for like $1.98 than it was to spend 20 Minutes looking for the one that came on the last order.

BTW - Looks like I'm probably closer to 1,800 or so...

View attachment 1008592

So Don't Feel Bad Splurging on your Next Order.

LOL
You saved me some burnt hits and aggravation for sure. I was trying to grab the legs and bend them by hand without pinning the rest of the wraps against the rod. Wound up twisting the legs into a mess and making the wraps uneven in the process.

Nice stash. No wonder, that's quite a deal, and they don't take up much space. They get over $2 for a pack of 10 these days.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You saved me some burnt hits and aggravation for sure. I was trying to grab the legs and bend them by hand without pinning the rest of the wraps against the rod. Wound up twisting the legs into a mess and making the wraps uneven in the process.

Nice stash. No wonder, that's quite a deal, and they don't take up much space. They get over $2 for a pack of 10 these days.

Yeah, If you don't grab the Coil Legs with Pliers, its really hard to get enough leverage on the wire.

The NarDa is one of those RDA's that if you try to just drop a coil into it, Its Hard to Align. And it Doesn't hit all that great. But if you bend the Coil Legs 90 then mounting is simple. And the Hit can be a Flavor Machine.

---

It as a Very Sad Day when Fasttech closed. They had a Huge Selection of Pre-Coiled Coils. Among a Multitude of other Goodies.

Users who are viewing this thread