Status
Not open for further replies.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
so i just read quite a bit about making vertical micro coils in a kanger head... and i am very interested... the only thing that seems to be a constant issue is people talking about the top lead having difficulties...

so this got me to thinking, would it be possible to take the kanthal, bend it in half to double it, create the coil wrapping with the bend at the top, wrap all the way down, then separate the bend at the last wrap and use that for the positive and negative lead...

i havent starting rebuilding yet, been reading on it and looking into it... i was just wondering would this be a simpler method?

take your length of kanthal, bend it in half wrap, then separate... would this work? it could give a much simpler method to the vertical micro coil, then again it could not work at all...

anybody know about this?

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
i havent starting rebuilding yet, been reading on it and looking into it... i was just wondering would this be a simpler method?

not intending to be rude but i havent started rebuilding at all yet, i have no kanthal i have no rebuilding supplies, i am reading to gain knowledge and the thought crossed my mind as i continuously heard about issues people have been hearing...

i realize my idea may not be feasible... was just wondering if it would work...

DrillRX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2013
California, USA
so i just read quite a bit about making vertical micro coils in a kanger head... and i am very interested... the only thing that seems to be a constant issue is people talking about the top lead having difficulties...

so this got me to thinking, would it be possible to take the kanthal, bend it in half to double it, create the coil wrapping with the bend at the top, wrap all the way down, then separate the bend at the last wrap and use that for the positive and negative lead...

take your length of kanthal, bend it in half wrap, then separate... would this work? it could give a much simpler method to the vertical micro coil, then again it could not work at all...

anybody know about this?

You gave me an idea...

I think that would be a dead short and would pop right away, but I've been thinking about in and you could fold the wire in half but before you wrap the coil, put one leg through a piece of ekowool (ekowool is hollow like a tube), and then wrap the micro coil over the ekowool wick with the other leg inside. As long as they don't touch at the bottom it might just work.

here's a crappy drawing, but I think you can see where i'm going. I'm going to have to try this now.

verticle micro coil.jpg

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I don't understand what you are describing. A sketch would be great :thumb:

Fortyniene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Yakima, Wa
I don't understand what you are describing. A sketch would be great :thumb:

I think he is talking about folding the wire in half then wrapping the doubled up wire around in circles starting with the bend at top and the two loose ends at the bottom and then attach said loose ends to the posts (ok on a kanger head there would be no posts but hopefully you get the jest of what I'm trying to decribe) Does my decripton sound right OP?.....I'm pretty sure this would be a direct short as the +post would short on the -post. But I'm still a rookie at this coil building shindig.

Last edited:

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
I think he is talking about folding the wire in half then wrapping the doubled up wire around in circles starting with the bend at top and the two loose ends at the bottom and then attach said loose ends to the posts (ok on a kanger head there would be no posts but hopefully you get the jest of what I'm trying to decribe) Does my decripton sound right OP?.....I'm pretty sure this would be a direct short as the +post would short on the -post. But I'm still a rookie at this coil building shindig.

this is pretty much what i am describing... you have more experience than i do... i am purely in the theoretical, what i have learned/watched/read... lol

the only reason i think this could be possible is because before microcoils i believed the reason you spaced the wraps was to avoid touching and getting a short... but for some reason (if someone can explain it im all for it) microcoils all the wraps are touching and it doesnt short...

theoretically the only + / - charge is in the leads in a microcoil set up, as such doubling the wire theoretically shouldnt have much effect.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
Hmm this is not a bad idea, i'll give it a try later. Micro coils do not short once oxidized.
My only wonder is if the bend at the end would get hot.

you actually were in the thread that gave me this idea... the one that bsd started... people talking about issues with the lead from the top got me thinking why couldnt this work instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread