My Review on Blu

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
So I've only had Blu for 2 days, but I kinda wanted to get this out there.

Even though I've heard the horror stories of their shipping issues, I decided to be brave and try it out. It took a week for Blu to get here which wasn't too bad, though I would of loved it sooner. I did end up with a white pack when I was supposed to get a black pack along with a spare pack, but I'll get into that later.

Size/Appearance:
Way smaller than my SE. I love how the carts don't look so much like cheap plastic and how each cart has the initials of what flavor it is that way your not guessing it. I really love how light it feels almost as light as a analog but in my opinion about the size of a camel wide light but smaller in diameter. The PPC pack is a bonus I love carrying my e-cig in something that keeps multiple things in one place. I can also charge two e-cigs at the same time (pcc pack and usb charger). My only complaint is its very sound/wind sensitive. My Rating: 8

Taste:
So far I've only tried Vanilla, Java, Cherry and tobacco... so far I think the Cherry and tobacco is good. The liquid tasted a bit weak at first to me but after I started playing with it I ended up getting better hits. I wish they had more of a selection with flavors though (higher mg, stronger flavor). The carts don't seem to last very long, which means I'll prolly be looking into getting liquids from another source. My Rating: 5

Vapor Production:
So far I think the vapor is pretty good. The throat hits are a hit and miss though its not always going to effect you. It's a lot easier for me to draw then drawing from my SE. My Rating: 7

Customer Service: The live chat person is usually good at answering my questions but I've had a few that took 15 mins to respond. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to an autobot. However, the lady over the phone was very nice when I explained to her my order was wrong and said an exchange is on the way and I can use the ones I have in the meantime. Live Chat Rating:4
Phone Rep Rating: 8

Over all, I'm happy with this product and I know theres a few things I 'd have to work on with it but I don't think it's an entire lost.

Vape on! :cool:

Last edited:

ACM

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2009
I have purchased carts from Blu, and I kind of like their flavor (tobacco - not like tobacco at all, but nutty and slightly sweet - almost a hint of hazelnut). But the carts don't last long. My L88b was from EkoCigs, though. I didn't want a blue LED.

I can't say you should buy from Eko. I hate to disparage them, because they do have decent service (quick replies to emails, and I got a free pack of carts because my shipment was delayed.) But that last part is what give me pause. They seem to have a LOT of customs problems. I tried to get a replacement battery from them when mine stopped working right, and three plus weeks later, they STILL don't have stock, because of customs issues.

So I bought a pair of batteries from Volcano. Glad I did. Got them in no time. One was defective. They took it back and gave me enough store credit to replace it, get a pack of carts, and pick up an extra atomizer. And the LED on the batteries is red, which I like.

I'd say go with Volcano if you don't want a blue LED.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
I have had Blu for a week 1/2 ... had 50 carts 8mg ... went through them all. Placed an order last tuesday and still hasn't arrived. Overall would have expected more ... ordered the Vapor King yesterday on express delivery ... just received ... let me say this ... it blows blu away.

I'm debating on just returning my blu and getting something better with better customer service. In another thread I had mentioned I've been told the wrong info.

The e-cig itself I don't have much of an issue with (the carts I don't seem to care about now after the first few puffs). Customer service sucks though. :-x

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
You could try the Volcano brand. Same as Blu but with waaaaay better customer service. They ship quick and their website will show if what you want is in stock, unlike Blu. Only difference is the red led instead of blue. They have yet to let me down and I've been buying from them for myself and friends for about 4 months now.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
You could try the Volcano brand. Same as Blu but with waaaaay better customer service. They ship quick and their website will show if what you want is in stock, unlike Blu. Only difference is the red led instead of blue. They have yet to let me down and I've been buying from them for myself and friends for about 4 months now.

Here's another issue I have with Blu, they refuse to send me a paid postage so I can send the crap back to them.

If I was unhappy with Volcano, would they do that or expect me to pay for shipping?

Is the lines on Volcano batteries as obvious as they appear? Are their flavors better?

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
The lines/ribs are subtle but you can feel them if you run your fingers over them. They don't really bother me as they look like the lines on my old analogs, but I understand that they bother some folks.

As for the flavors, they taste identical to Blu carts. I am not 100% sure but it would appear that they are the same liquid just different packaging/names.

As far as returns, I have no personal experience. Haven't had anything bad from them yet, except for one battery which is tempermental but not bad enough to worry over. I have read posts over on Volcano's site forum that problems were dealt with to the customer's satisfaction and then some.

In my dealings with the company, they have been more than exceptional in answering questions, fixing mistakes in orders (on my part), and shipping fast without any guessing as to what is in stock or not. They really seem to pride themselves on getting or doing whatever the customer wants to make them happy.

I don't speak for the Volcano company, but if you had the problem with them that you had with Blu, I'm sure they would have bent over backwards to make you happy. I have yet to see any bad CS reviews that weren't dealt with swiftly. The only one that I saw was some sort of misunderstanding by a new CS rep. The owner took action on that one and fixed the problem right away.

As I understand it, Volcano is planning on introducing some new models and accessories in the new year. They just finished testing an L88b passthrough built specifically for them. Different styles, colors, and LED colors are also in the works. It has also been hinted that other model types, possibly a 510, or something is in the works.

They have a partnership with EliquidPlanet for discounts on e-juice and Volcano sells blank L88b carts for refilling.

Lets see Blu come close to any of that.

Last edited:

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
The lines/ribs are subtle but you can feel them if you run your fingers over them. They don't really bother me as they look like the lines on my old analogs, but I understand that they bother some folks.

As for the flavors, they taste identical to Blu carts. I am not 100% sure but it would appear that they are the same liquid just different packaging/names.

As far as returns, I have no personal experience. Haven't had anything bad from them yet, except for one battery which is tempermental but not bad enough to worry over. I have read posts over on Volcano's site forum that problems were dealt with to the customer's satisfaction and then some.

In my dealings with the company, they have been more than exceptional in answering questions, fixing mistakes in orders (on my part), and shipping fast without any guessing as to what is in stock or not. They really seem to pride themselves on getting or doing whatever the customer wants to make them happy.

I don't speak for the Volcano company, but if you had the problem with them that you had with Blu, I'm sure they would have bent over backwards to make you happy. I have yet to see any bad CS reviews that weren't dealt with swiftly. The only one that I saw was some sort of misunderstanding by a new CS rep. The owner took action on that one and fixed the problem right away.

As I understand it, Volcano is planning on introducing some new models and accessories in the new year. They just finished testing an L88b passthrough built specifically for them. Different styles, colors, and LED colors are also in the works. It has also been hinted that other model types, possibly a 510, or something is in the works.

They have a partnership with EliquidPlanet for discounts on e-juice and Volcano sells blank L88b carts for refilling.

Lets see Blu come close to any of that.

Thank's Tin :)

I'll try to send out my Blu tomorrow... and hopefully I get my freakin money back. Once I do then I'll use it to get Volcano. I really like the color LED idea.

Some people say Blu and Volcano are the same company.... somehow I find that harder to believe especially since like you said, not many bad reviews on Volcano.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
510's are ok but never really did it for me personally. I know quite a few folks who use em and think they're fine. Some think they're great. But one model isn't "the best" for everyone.

The 510's are good for what they are, but they don't really pass as a real cig look-a-like. If you don't want to be called out or bothered with the "what is THAT thing?" looks or questions, the 510, the penstyle, or the mods are not the thing to go with.

The 510 has a PCC but the one I had sucked and I see quite a few posts about others with similar problems. Plus, the PCC only holds the 510 when it's disassembled. Bothersome for me, but not something that bugs everyone as there are plenty of people using them.

The singular advantage to the 510 is that tons of suppliers carry them. But simply because it is more widely available is not the sole factor in choosing something.

The L88b is one of the few models that passes for a real cig if you need it to, and has a PCC which carries an assembled e-cig. It is one of the smallest models and one of the newest designs.

It suits me and fits my style better than the 510. I gave my 510 stuff to a friend who loves it. I did the same with my M401. Some day, should a better model which fits my needs and tastes come out, I'll buy it and pass my Volcano onto someone else.

My Volcano does what I need it to do, when I need it to. When I'm at home, it goes into the office on the charger or back into one of my cases, and out comes my DSE701 cigar. When I'm done fiddling about the house and am ready to settle back in front of the tube or in the pages of a book, out comes the DSE601 pipe.

I am constantly looking at all available products and those new to the market. If I see something that looks like it may suit me, then I buy it, try it, and if it passes muster, I keep it. If it doesn't, I have plenty of friends and co-workers upon which my failures can be disposed of, and who will be happy to receive free (albeit used) toys.

I just ordered a KR mini pipe which I hope will offer some advantages to my heavily used, and somewhat abused, 601. If I like it enough, it will replace my 601 and become my primary pipe. I intend to keep the 601 for a backup. If it doesn't, I may pass it on, or keep it as a spare device.

Bottom line: No one model is all things to all people. Choose not based upon popularity or brand, but upon your own set of values. And remember, no one is limiting you to one type of device. I, and many others from what I have read here, have and use more than one device. Listening to people who shout "My whatever is better than your whatever so by one like mine or you won't be cool" is for fashion slaves and fools.

I stick by Volcano because they did right by me and went the extra mile. So has Totally Wicked, Electronic Ash, Juicy Liquid, and several others. You can read my posts recommending them as well. Those who have treated me better than just some order number on a screen have and will receive my praises, those who have not will receive my silence. Those who have screwed me shall read about it as often as possible. So far, no supplier has done me wrong. Blu took too long to ship my first order, so I cancelled. I later placed an order for carts just to test the flavors to see if they suited me better. I forgot about the order after a few days, and a month later received it. I was not upset simply because I was in no rush and had forgotten that I actually placed the order in the first place. The carts were the same price as Volcano and tasted the same with the only difference being the cart type (older smaller style vs Volcano newer larger style).

There are probably many satisfied Blu customers. There are posters on here that say they are happy. To them, I say be happy. To those that are not, I humbly inform them of available options.

But that's just my opinion....I could be wrong.:D

Last edited:

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
LOL yeah Tin is right though, not all models are for everyone.

I have a SE (Smoking Everywhere) that I generally use when I'm out in public (though its a pink one, I'm thinking about going for the white one later on). I do have a 510 but its modded with no LED light. Great for those times when I want to secretly vape. It does give you the promising hits but its not something I want to go out and about with all the time.

I do like Blu for what the model is though, light weight, nice hits (thats not too overpowering like the 510) though the carts are a joke IMO. I think I'm going to lean more towards Volcano though since they've had no major complaints.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Lol, I do get a little verbose don't I? I agree that the carts ain't all that great. I keep a few in each of my packs as an emergency backup in case I don't have time or the ability to refill my carts. I work in my car so I leave my bottles of juice in there. While I'm out of the car working, which can be a few minutes to a few hours, I might not be able to drop what I'm doing to run back to the car to refill.

I don't want to risk leaking carts, and with as much moving as I do, I can't really be certain that plugs won't fail on a refilled cart. Sealed carts don't run that risk.

I rarely use prefilled carts anymore. I used a few during a 14 hr roadtrip because it was not all that safe to try and refill while driving. They are good to keep as emergency backups but I'll stick to my homebrew juice for all day use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread