My LED Flashlight Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Sorry Madog I took your idea! I had to reposition the main PCB board in order to do it, but I extended it inside the cylinder to fit an 18650 2500mah battery. It's all ready to go, as soon as my charger gets here this thing should be smokin like crazy. I'm expecting this battery to last a long time without a recharge. I'll keep you posted.

Parts needed:
old battery connector
3.7v 18650 battery
large washer
switch
time

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
I totally envy you. Someday, I will attempt this mod:p. Right now I am working my way out of the dog house for spending another hundred dollars on ecig stuff:oops:. I have my eye on a soldering iron, though. I am plotting ways to guilt Mom into buying one for me:evil:. Good job, it looks beautiful.

If you really want a soldering iron, I have a lightly used cheapie that I could mail out to ya.. Lemme know!

And Bastage.. Looking extremely good as usual man! Still waiting on my DX parts so I can build my beast!

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
I haven't used it yet (no charger) but I can comment on a few things. This thing is a bit bulky and I don't like the switch being on the end as I've said before - but there is really no way to easily mount one on the top side. The other thing is, if you want big capacity obviously you have to sacrifice a little in size to support bigger batteries. Once I'm able to charge batteries up, I'll switch from USB and use the flashlight mod only to see how it holds up and how long the battery lasts.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
You will find you get used to the switch position very quickly. When I first got the Screwdriver, it was very awkward, but within a week it was second nature. Yours is a bit bigger and doesn't have the contours of the SD but I'm sure it will work for you. That thing is going to have a LONG runtime! Good for people (like me) that can't live being tethered to a USB cable, just drives me crazy.

Good Luck

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
LOL - all these mods certainly kills the myth that e-vaping is cheaper buy oh boy what fun we are having.

That's the real problem with e-cigs. You start off having a nasty little smoking habit, discover vaping so the habit becomes (perhaps) healthier, then the habit becomes a hobby, then the hobby becomes an obsession and you spend all your time on this forum and tinkering and modding and buying..........

There are times when a good old-fashioned cigarette would be so easy!

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
There are times when a good old-fashioned cigarette would be so easy!

Yeah, but then where's the challenge!? haha Actually if you break it down for what this mod costs vs what batteries cost and how much better this one is, it's not really expensive at all... Even if you don't have a crappy battery to use as a donor and have to buy a brand new one, the cost is still reasonable. All you need to worry about now is liquid and the occasional atomizer.

donor - 15.00
flashlight - 5.00 (3 for 15 at Home Depot + 2 headlamps)
battery - 5.00 (2-Pack for $10 at DealExtreme)
washer - 0.10
switch - 1.50 ($3 for 2)

26.60 total. If you have a donor battery lying around the mod price drops to under 12 bucks. That's a pretty damn good deal as long as you have a few minimal tools and some time anyone can do it. I'm making another one out of the aluminum flashlight, that should look pretty slick. We should call this the Detinator Mod. That's what it looks like. Be careful at the airport you don't want to get caught walking around with a metal tube with a push button switch on the end.

Last edited:

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Still waiting on my battery charger. They didn't have it in stock so I had to wait 7 extra days for them to ship it. Also the USB extension cables I bought don't work. Be careful buying those really cheap cables from Dealextreme. Kinda ...... they didn't notify me when I ordered that the battery chargers were out of stock. Because of the delayed shipping and the bad cables, I'll think twice before buying from dealextreme again. My first order was great, this one gets 2 thumbs down! Buu!

Liberate_Yourself

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2008
U.S.
www.smokeliberation.com
Yup.. that same thing happened to me with my latest DX orders.. I FINALLY got my donor shells in.. and now I am waiting on my batteries to get here.. aaahhhhh.. I am about to start ripping my hair out! I have been trying to get this mod done for what seems like FOREVER! hahaha

GRRRRRR @ DealXtreme!

Bastage

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2008
Houston, TX
The worst thing about it is that my mod has been completed for 2 weeks but it's just sitting here, I can't use it without the battery charger! I really want to see how this flashlight mod turns out. No one sells 18650 style batteries or chargers that I know of, so they have to be ordered online.

GRRRR x 2

Last edited:

bluewolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2008
Michigan
Last edited:

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
Maybe the manufacturers will take notice and give us a product with the battery life we demand instead of making puny batteries just so the product appeals to those people who want to vape something that looks like a cig. Even if they did that, they would still put in the +5 second draw cutoff and auto atomizer self destruct sequence into them.

Nice job on the mod, I have 3, 9 led flashlights coming my way from HK. Going to attempt the Madog Magnum mod. Still deciding on which cells to use for maximum run time.

Looking forward to an update once you get your charger. 2,500 mah should keep you vaping for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread