My First Cart Mod for the 901

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
The two things I didn't like about the standard carts that came with the 901,
1.The first few hits where great but after that it seemed kind of dry and less vapor.
2.It always has some kind of taste like plastic.

This mod lasts a long time. The first time you put ejuice into it use 20 drops, after it starts acting like the poly cart you can add 10 drops or keep vapin it.

Tools and Supplies:
Scissor
Razor Knife
Ruler
Brew Rite Stainless Steel Gold Coffe Filter ($6)
One Blank Cart

Cut out one Panel of the Brew Rite with the Razor Knife

Cut two 5/8" x 1/2" piece
Fold these so they are 5/8" x 1/4"

Cut one piece 1/2" x 1/2"
Fold this so it's 1/2" x 1/4"

Cut one piece 1/2" x 3/4"

Curl/Bend the two 5/8" x 1/4" pieces like a )(

Place the 1/2" x 1/4" inside the two )( like this )|(

Rap the 1/2" x 3/4" around the )|( tightly and place into the empty cart.

This should vape about half of the (20 drops = 1ml) (1/2ml = about 10 cigarettes) with the same flavor and vapor from the first puff to the last, when it starts getting light(less vapor) add 10 drops.

Glenn

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I bought something like this at Walmart and Target a Brew Rite Stainless Steel Gold Coffee Filter for $6.
Amazon.com: Medelco 4-Cup Permanent Basket Coffee Filter

With a razor knife I cut out one of the screen panels from the filter, this piece of screen when removed is about 1 3/4” by 4”. It isn’t even close to being square but it doesn’t really have to be.

901 Screens:
Using a straight edge and the razor knife I score the screen at a 1/2“ from the short end (this would be the 1 3/4” side). I then cut along the score with a scissor to yield a 1/2” by 1 3/4“ piece of screen. Make two of these.

From one of the 1/2” by 1 3/4” piece of screen I can get two 5/8” by 1/2’ pieces and one 1/2” by 1/2” piece.

Now fold this piece in half so it measures 1/4” by 1 3/4”

Now cut this into three pieces with a scissor two pieces 5/8” by 1/4” and one piece 1/2” by 1/4”

Cut a 1/2 “ by 3/4” piece from the second 1/2” by 1 3/4” piece of screen.

You now have four pieces of screen see picture 1

Take the one 1/2” by 1/4” piece and place it between the two 5/8” by 1/4” pieces see picture 2

Now roll the 1/2” by 3/4” around the three pieces tightly see picture 3

Then place this into the cart see picture 4

WARNING/CONS!
This cart mod will make a slight crunch sound the first few times you push it down into the atty. I haven’t had any problems with any attys after 5 weeks with 5 people vaping with this mod. It could make the atty have a shorter life because of some sort of damage to the wick, I guess only time will tell even though I see no damage to the wick on the atty.

PROS
It could make the atty last longer because the atty is always wet, again only time will tell. Even if an atty dies tomorrow because of this mod, I’ll still use it because it’s worth 10 buck every month or so to have the nice wet hit of dripping, a cart that last a lot longer and not have to drip every 4 hits or pull on a dry cart. I tell you when you use this mod the first thing you will say is wow that tastes so much better, so drippers and carters listen up.

I’m still tweaking the 510 so I can get more then 20 drops 1ml of juice into the cart. I think I can get maybe another 5 more drops by cutting off some screen at the bottom so it’s not doubled, but I need to buy another SS coffee filter to try this. And as soon as I can stop vaping on it!

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,199
Last edited:

Wimstace

Feb 5, 2010
Connecticut
This mod works great taste-wise. It definitely kills that burnt plastic taste. I don't know about all the cutting to the right size though. All I did was roll a peice up and pushed it in the cartridge. Then pulled it up about a quarter inch and snipped off the excess then pushed down the sharp edges. Much like the pyramid tea filter mod is made. My only issue so far with it is the leakage but for the taste it's worth it to me

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
This mod works great taste-wise. It definitely kills that burnt plastic taste. I don't know about all the cutting to the right size though. All I did was roll a peice up and pushed it in the cartridge. Then pulled it up about a quarter inch and snipped off the excess then pushed down the sharp edges. Much like the pyramid tea filter mod is made. My only issue so far with it is the leakage but for the taste it's worth it to me

Hey Wimstace,
If you take a little time to make it, that may fix your leaking problem. Burnt plastic taste could be the edge of the cart touching the wick, this mod will keep the plastic away from the wick.:cool:

syndicate2083

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Has anyone experimented with adding these to cartomizers? (like for an 808d-1) Would be nice to have something that works well, and cleans easy for taste and whatnot. So far my biggest problem with those carto's is taste retention after cleaning which can be really annoying. That and the burning taste if you let it go too long before a fill heh

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
Ok, I’ve been trying to tweaking the 510 screen cart mod for over a week now and I can’t seem to make it work as good as it does on the 901.

This is what I’m trying now for it:
All pieces are single screens no folding.
The two sides are 3/4" by 1/4"
The wrap is now 5/8" by 3/4" the 5/8" goes down into the cart the 3/4" gets wrapped, so the depth of the wrapper is the same as the middle piece.
The middle is now three 5/8" by 1/4" pieces

Also if you rub some juice on the screens before putting them into the cart they go in a lot easier.

atomwiser

Jan 27, 2010
Maryland
Hi, just received some of the new yellow H-cuts which work FANTASTIC, thank you. but i seem to be having some problems with them staying in place once i put them on top of the straw, the either one of the side ends on the round part of the plug sort of slowly slides up and over the carts edges, 510btw, kind of like it's slipping against the wall of the cart. Does anyone else have this problem or any suggestions? The only problem i can think of is the straw size or length. Does anyone know which straws seem to work the best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i've just stuffed some stainless steel wool in my cart. the kind you would use to scrub pots. so far, so good! will be interesting to see how long before i need to top up this cart. that's a real pain in the .... for me.
it's producing great vapor so far.....

Just curious how the stainless steel wool mod worked out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread