My Doctor is HAPPY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scribe

May 14, 2010
St Paul, Minnesota
Retired RN here, smoked for 52 years and long ago gave up on ever being able to quit cigarettes, even after diagnosis of COPD.

Started e-cigs three months ago just to try to cut down on reg cigs, never expecting to give them up totally, only to find myself amazingly smoke free by the end of the 8th day. Couldn't believe it. Can't possibly last. But it has.

Had lung function tests today. Six months ago I blew 72%. Today I blew 84 %, and all four lung quadrants were totally free of all wheezes. (for the first time in years) My Doc, who also long ago gave up on my every being able to quit, is just as amazed as I am!

I know there's been permanent damage done and I'll never blow a 100%, but now at least there's a very good chance I won't end up dragging an oxygen tank about with me. That...feels like a large miracle indeed!

Only time will tell us if there are hidden dangers with long term PV use. I know personally that if I vape too much, it does adversely affect my breathing, so a certain degree of conscious awareness and self discipline will always be necessary for me. (Too much of even a good thing usually turns out to be not a great idea!)

Just wanted to share this bit of proof that e-cigs really truly ARE a less harmful alternative to burning tobacco! And to say thanks, again, for this forum and so much excellent support from so many.

Darkwitless

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2010
KY
Wow! Congrats!

It's stories like yours that will help me through those rough times. I have to admit, so far I haven't even seriously wanted a cig since day 5 of this venture - and today marked 6 weeks without ash so I know it's early yet for me.

And like you I am concerned about about the possible long term effects of the PV, but honestly feel they can't be any worse than known effects of smoking.

Thanks for sharing! Wish I could have seen your Dr's face!

Last edited:

gice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Northridge
Only time will tell us if there are hidden dangers with long term PV use. I know personally that if I vape too much, it does adversely affect my breathing, so a certain degree of conscious awareness and self discipline will always be necessary for me. (Too much of even a good thing usually turns out to be not a great idea!)

Agreed. Although it is a lesser of evils, vaping too much can't be good either.

solaar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
That's brilliant news. Stories like yours should be made public and sent to all the health/ food/ drugs organisations. Congrats!

I find it easier to vape less then I did smoke less. It seems less addictive.
It's interesting you mention that. I always had the same sensation. It's likely that nicotine is only one out of other physically addictive components (additives?) in cigarettes. All research was always concentrated on the addictiveness of nicotine though, which I find quite misleading as it seems to be only half of the truth.

Lisa B

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2010
Central City, Colorado
I went to my doctor a couple of weeks ago and when I told him I quit smoking using an electronic cigarette and showed it to him, he was very impressed. He told me he wished he could prescribe them to his patients. I left him the ECF addy and a couple of suppliers. To have a doctor that has an open mind is a great thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread